New google wallet. Awesome

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
WORKED! but I lost the free 10 dollar gift for activating Google wallet

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life

Oops,, sorry,, I did not even know about that. I received no gift card.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You know what, maybe your right on a lot of what you say,, you need to have certain things on your, that being said for me it's not about whether I don't need to carry one more card on me, because I always have my card on me. For me it's about going up to that register and opening my rewards cards app and having lady scan my screen at the market for my discount card rather than carring it on my key chain,, then tapping my phone on pay pad and paying and hearing the register person say "wow, that's one cool phone". Lolololol. Sometimes its has nothing to do with practicality or convenience,, sometimes it's all about ego. Lolololol lolololol. :cool:

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Exactly I love hearing the ladys at McDonalds wow at my phone I got a number and free fries yesterday lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So much for all the nice things I may have said about Google wallet. I just went to open it and all I get is the spinning wheel and says initializing, this may take a few moments.. Then it never stops. This is what it did when I first tried to set up after the update. I had to go into app settings and clear app cache. Not doing that again and setting up once again.
EDIT : I had nfc off,, I was messing with things and forgot to turn it back on,, duh. Everything is fine.
Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Still have to carry at least insurance card, driver's license, health insurance card, car registration (well, I never leave mine in the car). I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Car keys are interesting- hmm, some cars will allow the phone to do lots of stuff (mine doesn't, though). Haven't seen Android home locks yet, but there are those with combination locks.

But what happens when you carry no credit cards, no debit card, and no cash, and your phone crashes, is dropped or submerged and ruined, suddenly has zero battery, or is missing? You would be stuck "away" and with absolutely no way to pay for or buy anything! Oh- we submit our fingerprints to the state and then not only can all our movements be tracked with phones and plate readers and cameras, but now everything we touch can be tracked too! Maybe I am too old and conservative.

Wear that tin foil hat much do ya! LOL

Joking aside....I'd just like to have the "option" of a digital version as well as a physical version of these things so I can chose to carry them or not. The technology is getting there for this to be possible. Like for me...I would have physical versions of my keys(cost to benefit ratio of getting a new car or have phone options for a car is too great) license, car insurance, and registration in my car(not my pocket)because there would be no way I would hand a cop my phone if I was to get pulled over lol, and everything else would be digital on my phone with physical versions at home. I would be aware of the risk of not having these things with me and would be willing to do that. Just as some people are aware of the risk of walking around with thousands of dollars in their pockets and do it every day. I'm all about the options. :)

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Still have to carry at least insurance card, driver's license, health insurance card, car registration (well, I never leave mine in the car). I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Car keys are interesting- hmm, some cars will allow the phone to do lots of stuff (mine doesn't, though). Haven't seen Android home locks yet, but there are those with combination locks.

But what happens when you carry no credit cards, no debit card, and no cash, and your phone crashes, is dropped or submerged and ruined, suddenly has zero battery, or is missing? You would be stuck "away" and with absolutely no way to pay for or buy anything! Oh- we submit our fingerprints to the state and then not only can all our movements be tracked with phones and plate readers and cameras, but now everything we touch can be tracked too! Maybe I am too old and conservative.

Joking aside....I'd just like to have the "option" of a digital version as well as a physical version of these things so I can chose to carry them or not. The technology is getting there for this to be possible. Like for me...I would have physical versions of my keys(cost to benefit ratio of getting a new car or have phone options for a car is too great) license, car insurance, and registration in my car(not my pocket)because there would be no way I would hand a cop my phone if I was to get pulled over lol, and everything else would be digital on my phone with physical versions at home. I would be aware of the risk of not having these things with me and would be willing to do that. Just as some people are aware of the risk of walking around with thousands of dollars in their pockets and do it every day or the 70 year old person who locks a checkout line up because they refuse to use debit/credit cards and still want to write checks for groceries. I'm all about the options. :)

Emmanuel11

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I think the future is bright and coming soon we will have digital identification like a hologram of my info and my insurance like they have on sci-fi movies could happen by 2015 who knows but technology is changing so fast it could happen.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Joking aside....I'd just like to have the "option" of a digital version as well as a physical version of these things so I can chose to carry them or not. The technology is getting there for this to be possible. Like for me...I would have physical versions of my keys(cost to benefit ratio of getting a new car or have phone options for a car is too great) license, car insurance, and registration in my car(not my pocket)because there would be no way I would hand a cop my phone if I was to get pulled over lol, and everything else would be digital on my phone with physical versions at home. I would be aware of the risk of not having these things with me and would be willing to do that. Just as some people are aware of the risk of walking around with thousands of dollars in their pockets and do it every day or the 70 year old person who locks a checkout line up because they refuse to use debit/credit cards and still want to write checks for groceries. I'm all about the options. :)

I agree 100%. Twenty years ago, maybe 30 I'm getting old, people didn't even know what a debit card was. Now everybody has them and rarely caries cash. I have two debit cards and 4 credit cards. I try to carry the least amount as possible so I don't risk losing them. It will be so nice when everything is linked together.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree 100%. Twenty years ago, maybe 30 I'm getting old, people didn't even know what a debit card was. Now everybody has them and rarely caries cash. I have two debit cards and 4 credit cards. I try to carry the least amount as possible so I don't risk losing them. It will be so nice when everything is linked together.

Check cards. Lol.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Just went to the super market and I bought 300 dollars worth of food. First I walked through market scanning everything with my phone,, then I get to register and scan bar code at register to check out my stuff,, I then pulled up my discount card from another app and scanned that in and finally I tapped and paid for it with Google wallet, everything with my new best buddy, the evo lte. :D

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just went to the super market and I bought 300 dollars worth of food. First I walked through market scanning everything with my phone,, then I get to register and scan bar code at register to check out my stuff,, I then pulled up my discount card from another app and scanned that in and finally I tapped and paid for it with Google wallet, everything with my new best buddy, the evo lte. :D

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

And app I want to see: You scan your groceries as you pick them up. Then when you check out your phone generates a QR code based on what you scanned. You pay and walk out of the store.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
So I was having issues setting up my CC in Wallet. The app was crashing every time I tried to enter in the cards info. I followed the post to clear out the app cache and tried again and it worked perfectly! I even got the free $10 Google Card to boot! Can't wait to try this out (for my ego's sake)!

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Except it actually takes several seconds LONGER, by my estimate. And savings a few grams for a plastic card? Sorry, that doesn't make my wallet weigh any noticeably less.

Nope, not longer. Punch the PIN in while standing in line, tap once your stuff is rung up and you're done. Two seconds tops.

I really don't care if you don't want to use it, but I'm not sure why you're trying to crap on it. Like it said, it's a minor convenience but not earth shattering, but you can't deny it's functionality.

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
This would be awesome.

This would be awesome. Except that the store would have to trust that you actually scanned everything in your cart, or someone would have to be at the register to verify. That or there would be a lot of shoplifting alarms going off all the time.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
This would be awesome. Except that the store would have to trust that you actually scanned everything in your cart, or someone would have to be at the register to verify. That or there would be a lot of shoplifting alarms going off all the time.

You ever used one of those self-checkout lanes? Same basic concept.

There is usually an employee at those lanes, keeping an eye on things, and a scale weighs the items as you bag them. Not to mention the cameras.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Right now stops and shop just assumes you scan everything in your cart, whether you use their scanner gun or your phone. All they do with the scanning guns is each gun,, every let's say 5th use of that particular gun, gets an audit which means the cashier has to check 12 items in your cart. That's it, thats how they do it.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Nope, not longer. Punch the PIN in while standing in line, tap once your stuff is rung up and you're done. Two seconds tops.

I really don't care if you don't want to use it,

I don't want yet another company spying on my business. One is enough.

but I'm not sure why you're trying to crap on it. Like it said, it's a minor convenience but not earth shattering, but you can't deny it's functionality.

As a technology, it is really neat; but as with lots of things nowadays, each implementation erodes freedom and privacy. As far as purchasing, technologies like this bring us closer to a day when, for example, cash will be outlawed, totally removing the ability for anonymous transactions. As long as it is optional, it is fine, but I see the slippery slope. You can call me paranoid if you like, but that won't change anything.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Originally Posted by Darth Mo<br />
Nope, not longer. Punch the PIN in while standing in line, tap once your stuff is rung up and you're done. Two seconds tops.<br />
<br />
I really don't care if you don't want to use it,
<br />
<br />
I don't want yet another company spying on my business. One is enough.<br />
<br />
but I'm not sure why you're trying to crap on it. Like it said, it's a minor convenience but not earth shattering, but you can't deny it's functionality.
<br />
<br />
As a technology, it is really neat; but as with lots of things nowadays, each implementation erodes freedom and privacy. As far as purchasing, technologies like this bring us closer to a day when, for example, cash will be outlawed, totally removing the ability for anonymous transactions. As long as it is optional, it is fine, but I see the slippery slope. You can call me paranoid if you like, but that won't change anything.

And that one company spying on you now? It must be Reynolds from the truckloads of tin foil you buy to make your hats. :p

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
And that one company spying on you now? It must be Reynolds from the truckloads of tin foil you buy to make your hats. :p

People typically mock what they don't understand. The amass of information being collected about people, shared between companies and companies and government, and the potential (and sometimes actual) abuse is truly frightening and it is ever accelerating.