New google wallet. Awesome

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
People typically mock what they don't understand. The amass of information being collected about people, shared between companies and companies and government, and the potential (and sometimes actual) abuse is truly frightening and it is ever accelerating.

If you don't want to do it, don't do it. Plain and simple. I'm surprised you're actually able to force yourself onto the internet. Hope you have cookies turned off. Of course how do you know if they're really turned off...

balansboy

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
You know what, maybe your right on a lot of what you say,, you need to have certain things on your, that being said for me it's not about whether I don't need to carry one more card on me, because I always have my card on me. For me it's about going up to that register and opening my rewards cards app and having lady scan my screen at the market for my discount card rather than carring it on my key chain,, then tapping my phone on pay pad and paying and hearing the register person say "wow, that's one cool phone". Lolololol. Sometimes its has nothing to do with practicality or convenience,, sometimes it's all about ego. Lolololol lolololol. :cool:

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

I agree. Sometimes it's just about the wow/cool factor. I am right there with you.

Reactions: zmann

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
People typically mock what they don't understand. The amass of information being collected about people, shared between companies and companies and government, and the potential (and sometimes actual) abuse is truly frightening and it is ever accelerating.

But people who truly believe this, instead of just liking to try to claim the sky is falling, don't go on the Internet or buy smartphones.

Do I believe some of this happens? You bet! Does it worry me so much that I will try to dissuade people from using technology for their benefit? No.

Reactions: zmann

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you don't want to do it, don't do it. Plain and simple. I'm surprised you're actually able to force yourself onto the internet. Hope you have cookies turned off. Of course how do you know if they're really turned off...

Yep. As I just said. People typically mock what they don't understand. Plus a few personal attacks are good to throw in (well, more like harassment). I never said it should be disallowed. I never said people are crazy to use the feature. I am just answering the question posted to me as to why I think it can be dangerous and further threaten privacy and freedom. Yes, LOTS of things tend to do that- like carrying a phone or using the Web.

Just because one is careful or cautious doesn't mean one is paranoid nor does it mean one is a technophobe. I can almost guarantee you I am much more techno and for far longer than most people on these forums. Do I constantly worry about such things and lose sleep at night? No. Do I perform mental risk-assessments with new technologies and take steps to mitigate? Yes.

It is a fact that this NFC payment system is providing more information about your purchasing to more parties than using a card. And it is also a fact that using a card provides more information about your purchasing than cash. With every technology comes risk- and in today's information age, those risks are very complex. We typically can't know what is done with information that is collected or how it might be used later. Choosing to not understand the risks is what most people do; and people today are very quick to trade privacy and/or security for convenience.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
But people who truly believe this, instead of just liking to try to claim the sky is falling, don't go on the Internet or buy smartphones.

Do I believe some of this happens? You bet! Does it worry me so much that I will try to dissuade people from using technology for their benefit? No.

Never said nor implied the sky is falling. Nor am I trying to dissuade people from using technology to their benefit. Just posing and answering questions. If I or others learn something in the process, great... that is what the forums are all about.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
It didn't work for... Kept getting to enter the pin I did it 3 times then gave up...everything looks good...

Sent from EVO 4G LTE

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It didn't work for... Kept getting to enter the pin I did it 3 times then gave up...everything looks good...

Sent from EVO 4G LTE

How was your 3G where you were? If you're getting particularly bad 3G speeds (<200K) it probably won't work. Times out before the transaction can process.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

chuckuykendall

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
How was your 3G where you were? If you're getting particularly bad 3G speeds (<200K) it probably won't work. Times out before the transaction can process.

Well that is unsettling to hear...in my area Sprint's 3G is nothing but bad. Is it safe to assume that Google Wallet will work fine over WiFi?

--Beamed from my EVO 4G LTE to your face via Tapatalk 2.--

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
On google's blog (Google Commerce: Use any credit or debit card with Google Wallet), they state:

Quick tip: lot of questions about the need for Internet connectivity while using the Wallet app. You will need an Internet connection to enter a credit card; to change the selected payment card; and to see transaction details. However, you will not need an Internet connection to actually make a payment in-store if you have previously selected a card.​

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
On google's blog (Google Commerce: Use any credit or debit card with Google Wallet), they state:

Quick tip: lot of questions about the need for Internet connectivity while using the Wallet app. You will need an Internet connection to enter a credit card; to change the selected payment card; and to see transaction details. However, you will not need an Internet connection to actually make a payment in-store if you have previously selected a card.​

That's only valid if you somehow lose your net connection in between the time you enter your PIN and when you actually tap to pay.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
That's only valid if you somehow lose your net connection in between the time you enter your PIN and when you actually tap to pay.

That conflicts with what they say. I've yet to get it to work anyway and I don't have connection problems.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That conflicts with what they say. I've yet to get it to work anyway and I don't have connection problems.

No, it doesn't.

When you initally load GW either by manually opening the app or tapping the PayPass, you have to enter your PIN into the app and it will download your balance information to the app. So after that, as long as the app hasn't timed out, you can make a purchase because it just passes that cached information to the PayPass terminal.

However, if you have no data connection (or a super slow one) when you initialize the app (again by manually launching or by tapping), you can't enter your PIN and cache your info so you can't use it.

Since I have crappy 3G here for the last few months I always enter my PIN as I'm walking into McD's or the convenient store and then I can see before I get up to the counter if my info has loaded. Avoids odd stares right at the counter when your connection is acting up.

JoshK

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I've seen people saying Google Wallet takes longer than using a credit card. . .I think you're doing it wrong! I walked into the gas station and while standing behind the person at the cashier. I opened GW, entered my pin and when I walked up to the register and told her what I wanted she gave me a total, I touched my phone to the pad and literally halfway through her saying "Credit or debit?" the register made a noise and spit out the receipt. Wide eyed, she handed it to me and I was on my way. The only way it could have been quicker is if I would have had exact change and left without waiting for her to count it or giving me a receipt, and I never carry cash.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Walked into rite aid, in line I opened wallet, when it was my turn I tapped the pad and it paid instantly. Register dude was very impressed. Worked perfectly with my cruzerlite clear.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've seen people saying Google Wallet takes longer than using a credit card. . .I think you're doing it wrong! I walked into the gas station and while standing behind the person at the cashier. I opened GW, entered my pin and when I walked up to the register and told her what I wanted she gave me a total, I touched my phone to the pad and literally halfway through her saying "Credit or debit?" the register made a noise and spit out the receipt. Wide eyed, she handed it to me and I was on my way. The only way it could have been quicker is if I would have had exact change and left without waiting for her to count it or giving me a receipt, and I never carry cash.

< $25 = no signature. Credit card = no pin. Stand in line with card in hand. Get total, ignore question about "credit or debit" swipe customer unit in about 0.25 seconds and receipt prints. Not much different. :)

At Target.... swipe card anytime WHILE she is still scanning items...

Just saying

chuckuykendall

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
< $25 = no signature. Credit card = no pin. Stand in line with card in hand. Get total, ignore question about "credit or debit" swipe customer unit in about 0.25 seconds and receipt prints. Not much different. :)

Just saying

Use credit card like everyone else. - boring
Pay using your phone, all the while never looking up. - kind of douchey, but sexy

IJS

--Beamed from my EVO 4G LTE to your face via Tapatalk 2.--

Reactions: jalaazul

JoshK

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Just saying

Actually, it was a significant difference to me. I'm not talking in theory here, but experience. It was like night and day(compared to the multiple purchases i make daily), especially considering my phone is in my hand anyway. . . . but to each their own, there are plenty of people that say there is "not much difference" between a prepaid POS cell phone and a smart phone, after all they both make calls. . . . .but I know better.

And for the record, you can ignore the "credit or debit" question only to have to re-swipe because they didn't hit the right button, happens to me all the time.

Just saying

Emmanuel11

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it was a significant difference to me. I'm not talking in theory here, but experience. It was like night and day(compared to the multiple purchases i make daily), especially considering my phone is in my hand anyway. . . . but to each their own, there are plenty of people that say there is "not much difference" between a prepaid POS cell phone and a smart phone, after all they both make calls. . . . .but I know better.

And for the record, you can ignore the "credit or debit" question only to have to re-swipe because they didn't hit the right button, happens to me all the time.

Just saying

Aww man I though they could use the same button they always used I had my phone for 3 weeks and never used Google Wallet yet.

tarn451

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Here we go again, Gmail and Wallet is acting up again. 6 days ago they were blank, did a hard reset, restored all my apps, and it worked.

I DON'T want to do another hard reset. Can someone help, please. The only thing I've done lately is activate Google Authenticator last night.

Reactions: FaisDogg