- 24 Posts
My LTE Evo is useless?! List of Woes:
Alright, so as a techie, I understand that software can be buggy. I understand that updates fix and improve things over time, but sometimes do the opposite. I understand that I should put up with the occasional reboot. However, I DO NOT understand why the hell I cannot use my phone. I am tired, I am pissed, and I have exhausted the thought of how much I regret trading in my evo 3D. Yes, the LTE Evo has a lot of RAW power, but what good is that if I cannot freaking use it?
So, *ahem*, after my angry rant, here is what has been going on with my phone (and getting increasingly worse) for the last month:
- 4G my a$$ - I live in Houston, one of the the first markets that was supposed to get 4G. The Wimax network, which was aleady spotty, is still a lot more present in Houston than the so called Sprint LTE deployment. Look, I am a patient guy, but when my 3g speeds cannot go past DIAL UP then we have a big problem. Am I seriously paying 230 dollars a month so that four smartphones have DIAL UP speeds? Cmon, Sprint!!
- People (HTC stock app) - it does not work. every once in a while, it will start working, but for the past month, I can only dial numbers on my call history. The problem? When I open the app and search through contacts, everything is dandy. But when I click on a contact, I get a black screen. It is a screen where the top notification bar still shows, and the latter still responds, but right below it is just dark. If i click home button, it does go back to home. However, clearing the cache, rebooting, etc, does nothing to get the app working. That's right. Reboot does not work.
- Google Play - It ALSO does not work. So you can kinda search through it up until the point I click on an app. At that point, the whole thing freezes and my only choice is to exit out by pressing the home button. Moreover, reboot also does NOT work.
- Gmail app. - Please see the last two points. Exact same problem. Except this time, when you click it to open the app, it simply takes me to a white screen. And that's it. Reboot also does NOT work, nor does clearing cache, etc.
So, am I alone in this? I do not know what to think. Since around 2008-9ish, when I first got an Android phone, I have never hated a device so much in my life. The worst part is, it used to work. And then it used to heat up a lot. And then right after a meaningful vacation with my wife, it had a sudden death (the screen literally went off when I was using it, never to turn on again. And according to my forum research, I was not the only one who suffered this "sudden death syndrome") losing all my pictures. And then Best buy black tie's thingie got me a new one, which is the one I have now...with a gazillion problems. Thoughts, or recommendations?
- 08-10-2012, 12:58 PM #2
- 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM #3
- 56 Posts
- Stock + Goodies by Flex
Re: My LTE Evo is useless?! List of Woes:
I had some similar proroblems , but you may not like the solution. It's something related to your phone's connectivity to your google account. You didn't say it, but I'm willing to bet you have periodic internet problems too? My fix ended up being to get a new phone... You could try running the RUU for a full blown factory reset (as opposed to just deleting data) to see if that helps... But that wasn't the case with me.
- 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM #4
- 3 Posts
- CM9 w/ ShadowKernel
This is my main concern before I decide to upgrade to an LTE phone or for that matter re sign a contract with Sprint. Living on the northside of Houston 4G is spotty at best. Really hoping by October their LTE network proves itself to be inline with Verizon's LTE.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums
- 08-10-2012, 01:14 PM #5
- 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM #6
- 08-10-2012, 02:09 PM #7Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Provide HTC feedback here: http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email
- 08-10-2012, 08:06 PM #9
Re: My LTE Evo is useless?! List of Woes:Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Provide HTC feedback here: http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email
- 08-10-2012, 08:32 PM #10
- 08-11-2012, 08:05 PM #11
- 08-12-2012, 06:28 PM #12
- 137 Posts
Re: My LTE Evo is useless?! List of Woes:
have you tried getting rid of google wallet?
i have many of the exact same problems you are having. clearing caches for play, gmail and maps (the 3 apps that were freezing on me) would work sometimes for a while, but the problem would always come back.
then i uninstalled the google wallet updates and haven't had a problem since.
- 08-12-2012, 07:38 PM #13