Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Traveling abroad with your LTE then...

    I just spent a week out of the states and took my phone for the music more then anything else. Where I was staying had Wi-Fi, thus I knew I could stream music, but I really wanted the ability to make some calls back to the U.S. to check on our kids. First get a Google voice account if you don't have one. Then download Talkatone from the Play store. Easy setup and works like a champ. Even has it's own native dialer. I made calls every night with no issues and the app worked as advertised. I would also add that it's free!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Traveling abroad with your LTE then...

    Okay won't you still be charged the International call rates by Sprint?
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S5
  3. #3  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default

    No u won't cuz u are calling through voip which means free

    Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Traveling abroad with your LTE then...

    You technically do not need Talkatone since you can use Google voice with the native dialer. I have used the Google Voice app only and made tons of calls without any secondary software.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Traveling abroad with your LTE then...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    No u won't cuz u are calling through voip which means free

    Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2
    But I will still need a wifi connection, correct?
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S5
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Traveling abroad with your LTE then...

    Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    But I will still need a wifi connection, correct?
    Correct
    Thanked by:
    sasha 
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Traveling abroad with your LTE then...

    Am I right in thinking you need to make sure you're on Wi-Fi ONLY, when you use GV to dial? If you have any type of cell signal, it will default to using the cell minutes for the call, so you got to be careful. I use GV daily and it DOES use my minutes, but they are all domestic minutes of course. If you are out of the country, it's different.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Traveling abroad with your LTE then...

    Quote Originally Posted by elfuego View Post
    Am I right in thinking you need to make sure you're on Wi-Fi ONLY, when you use GV to dial? If you have any type of cell signal, it will default to using the cell minutes for the call, so you got to be careful. I use GV daily and it DOES use my minutes, but they are all domestic minutes of course. If you are out of the country, it's different.
    Yep that's what I'm understanding just wanted to be clear cause I'll be going on a cruise next week. Guess if I wanna make any calls I'll still have to pay there high wifi fees.
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S5
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Traveling abroad with your LTE then...

    Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    Yep that's what I'm understanding just wanted to be clear cause I'll be going on a cruise next week. Guess if I wanna make any calls I'll still have to pay there high wifi fees.
    Have your issues with the phone connection etc... resolved? I'm up for an upgrade and I'm between the 4g LTE and S3. I live in a strong sprint area (ATL) so signal seems to be always strong in my previous phones. What's your take? (I''ve seen your battles with the phone on previous posts)
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Traveling abroad with your LTE then...

    Quote Originally Posted by elfuego View Post
    Have your issues with the phone connection etc... resolved? I'm up for an upgrade and I'm between the 4g LTE and S3. I live in a strong sprint area (ATL) so signal seems to be always strong in my previous phones. What's your take? (I''ve seen your battles with the phone on previous posts)
    OMG I wish, I actually just spent and hour trying to get calls and text messages to go through which is actually a new issue for me it's usually just the data services I have trouble with. You may be okay since your in a good 3g area, but I never had this trouble on my og evo so I don't know what to make of it. I'm just praying for a ota update fix or for the lte towers to get up and running!
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S5

Posting Permissions