Get out of contract.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Seeing as the og evo was the first phone to have the 10$ charge you wouldn't have seen it on previous phones. The reason why Sprint did not say this is a 4g charge is because it would limit them in who they could charge to only 4g customers.

This is from a blog from that John Taylor of Sprint posted near the time the fee was added...

If you buy the Sprint 4G EVO, you have to pay this $10 charge each month. This is specific to the device. It?s not related to whether you are using 3G or 4G. It is required if you have the phone.

Because the phone has a faster processor, a huge 4.3 inch screen and an 8 megapixel camcorder/camera, we expect you will be using a lot more data than you would with our other devices. These features will give you capabilities that have previously never been available on a wireless device and we think they provide a premium experience. (Remember, this is the world?s first 3G/4G Android phone.)

So, basically, you?re paying a premium because of what Sprint expects you to do with the phone?namely, consume more data than you ever have in your life. And given the Evo 4G?s large display for web surfing and capabilities like two-way video chat, one could argue that this new tier is fair. But as we said before we sincerely hope Sprint doesn?t charge customers even more for two-way video chat. That should be built into the $10 premium. Would you pay a minimum of $80 per month to use this phone? Sound off in the comments.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I wish it was built into the actual plan itself instead of being seperate. You notice if u do get a discount each month that the discount comes off your base rate plan of 69.99 and is only on one line now. No discount on the actual total shared plan nor a discount off the premium data charge either. It's ok though I'm happy with what I have and service is good where I am.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I got out of my contract. I was promised 4G Wimax 2 years ago and never got it. I went to the Evo Lte and service was awful and would get texts 2 days later. Data would never work.

I was paying the premium data fee for 2 years and never recieved it.

I was reimbursed 26 months of $10 per month and they let me get out of my contract.
[...]
Remember, if your paying for a service and your not recieving it, you can get out of contract. I dont care what anyone says. If you have a Lte phone and paying for premium data and do not recieve lte, you can get out. You do not have to pay for something that you are not recieving.

Sorry, but what you posted is wrong. The "premium data fee" has nothing to do with 4G. It is a smartphone charge and was never represented as anything else by Sprint. Paying the fee does not guarantee you any access to 4G whatsoever and is not a valid argument for breaking a contract. Sprint also made no promises, whatsoever, about which areas would or would not have WiMax.

This has been beaten to death by numerous other postings already, of course.

Last edited:

Mastertech

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I understand completely what the 10 dollar fee is all about and have no issue with that, but it is a fact that the idiots at the Sprint store I go to told me straight up that the fee was for the 4G service....I know they lied(were mistaken) but I think that's why so many people think that's the reason for the fee rather than the increased amount of data these phone use.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I understand completely what the 10 dollar fee is all about and have no issue with that, but it is a fact that the idiots at the Sprint store I go to told me straight up that the fee was for the 4G service....I know they lied(were mistaken) but I think that's why so many people think that's the reason for the fee rather than the increased amount of data these phone use.

I agree. I think there was a LOT of misinformation spread by clueless store sales people that had no idea what they were talking about. We see that a lot with misrepresenting phone features, coverage areas, and data speeds.

Diordna11

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to sell your Evo for more than the ETF and whatever is left softens the loss of the purchase price. Just an idea and something I did when I moved from TMo to Verizon. In my case the S2 was free and I sold it 6 months later for $250 which was exactly what the ETF was.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Some users are making me facepalm hard. The $10 fee is for premium data, subpar dial up speeds is not premium data. I don't care what bologna you try say, but there's no excuse for Sprint to be charging it, and yet hardly anyone is benefiting from it unless you live in a good coverage zone. Pretty uncommon thing. Unlimited data sucks if you can't use it. Sprint has the nerve to say tmobile throttles when you go over, but they don't talk about their slow as molasses speed.

You can stick up for Sprint, but it's bullcrap to agree that Sprints premium data fee is justified.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Some users are making me facepalm hard. The $10 fee is for premium data, subpar dial up speeds is not premium data. I don't care what bologna you try say, but there's no excuse for Sprint to be charging it, and yet hardly anyone is benefiting from it unless you live in a good coverage zone. Pretty uncommon thing. Unlimited data sucks if you can't use it. Sprint has the nerve to say tmobile throttles when you go over, but they don't talk about their slow as molasses speed.

You can stick up for Sprint, but it's bullcrap to agree that Sprints premium data fee is justified.

Has nothing to do with "agreeing" with it or not, nor is it "sticking up for Sprint" when stating the facts of what the fee is: The fee is a smartphone fee, it has nothing to do with data speeds or coverage.

Are there areas with slow Sprint 3G speeds? Oh yes. And I am in one of those areas, and it is not fun. Speeds have been dropping for years and sometimes (many times) it is painful. And based on many postings, it sounds like there are LOTS of such areas.

Are there areas with fast Sprint speeds? Oh yes. Areas with WiMax, areas with LTE, and areas with actually fast 3G. I wish I were in one of them.

My choice is the same as yours and any other Sprint customer- stay with Sprint and tolerate it, hoping it might get better, or leave for another [more expensive] carrier. It sounds like you should probably leave for another carrier. Of course, then you will be on another forum complaining about your capped data, or throttled speeds, or overpriced plans and how unfair they are. Mobile data/phones/carriers in the USA do generally suck- they are all priced too high, overly controlling, anti-free with contracts, and greedy.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No wonder Sprint customer service sucks, if i had to deal with whining babies all day long, I would hate my job too.

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
No wonder Sprint customer service sucks, if i had to deal with whining babies all day long, I would hate my job too.

Oh yes, I guess Sprint service must be absolutely wonderful. Let me go outside and surf the web on my .05 Mbps speed. Nothing to complain about there. </sarcasm>

Has nothing to do with "agreeing" with it or not, nor is it "sticking up for Sprint" when stating the facts of what the fee is: The fee is a smartphone fee, it has nothing to do with data speeds or coverage.

Are there areas with slow Sprint 3G speeds? Oh yes. And I am in one of those areas, and it is not fun. Speeds have been dropping for years and sometimes (many times) it is painful. And based on many postings, it sounds like there are LOTS of such areas.

Are there areas with fast Sprint speeds? Oh yes. Areas with WiMax, areas with LTE, and areas with actually fast 3G. I wish I were in one of them.

My choice is the same as yours and any other Sprint customer- stay with Sprint and tolerate it, hoping it might get better, or leave for another [more expensive] carrier. It sounds like you should probably leave for another carrier. Of course, then you will be on another forum complaining about your capped data, or throttled speeds, or overpriced plans and how unfair they are. Mobile data/phones/carriers in the USA do generally suck- they are all priced too high, overly controlling, anti-free with contracts, and greedy.

If it was called a data fee, I would agree. But it is called a "premium" data fee. It doesn't help that Sprint also targeted ads towards T-Mobile for throttling when their own speeds are so piss poor. You may not think it matters, but it does matter.

I agree on both points. There are areas with good and bad speeds. WiMAX has decent speeds, but the penetration indoors is terrible and it doesn't cover everyone. I fault Sprint on that one for going with such a ridiculous technology in a gamble to be the first in 4G market. Ironically, they're the last to adapt since both AT&T and Verizon have LTE while T-Mobile has HSPA+ along with AT&T.

As for mobile plans pricing, yes it sucks. But do you honestly think Sprint's pricing is any better? I mean with Verizon at least you get superior coverage. T-Mobile's about to go back to unlimited data plus their plans are the cheapest especially if BYODP.

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
No its not. The $10 premium fee Sprint instatuted was justified for 4g speeds. 3g is considered basic data service.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

yes and no. they started this $10 "premium data" nonsense with the EVO 4g for the increased data quality and speeds associated with the device. it was a requirement - even if you had unlimited data.

however they never ever claimed it was for 4g although they sure as hell heavily implied it and LOTS of people were confused. and you're kidding yourself if you think those 2 facts are a coincidence.

i connected to 4g maybe 10 times for a grant total of about 20 minutes combined when I had my EVO 4g... it was just a novelty. but whatever - i figured it would kill the battery and eventually everything would progress.

but now i'm sitting in a no lte area for the forceable future and still paying $10 a month and what not the data speeds are FAR slower than they were with my EVO OG... wtf?

I have been a happy sprint customer - and i love the unlimited plan (data and txt) but there is no way Sprint is the cheapest... i love the HTC phone - but i am getting increasingly frustrated with Sprint.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh yes, I guess Sprint service must be absolutely wonderful. Let me go outside and surf the web on my .05 Mbps speed. Nothing to complain about there. </sarcasm>

I know you said "sarcasm", but what was that data speed the last time your contract was up? My guess is you resigned for another two years to get your EVO 4G LTE. There where plans in place to roll out LTE, but no promises. You knew what your 3G speeds were when you signed. If you want to complain about something now, your only avenue is to complain about the decision you made.

And no I'm not sprint apologist. I'm in an area that most likely won't see LTE until the very end, in fact I'll probably be onto a new phone by the time we get it, so yeah I understand slow 3G speeds...

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
As for mobile plans pricing, yes it sucks. But do you honestly think Sprint's pricing is any better?

Oh yes. It is considerably lower pricing.

I mean with Verizon at least you get superior coverage.

That is true, and much better data speeds. And you pay for it dearly. It is worth noting that Sprint's voice coverage and 1RTT data (super-slow data) coverage is pretty much identical to Verizon's, because they share each other's towers for roaming.

T-Mobile's about to go back to unlimited data plus their plans are the cheapest especially if BYODP.

I have worked it many ways and can't get T-Mobile to come out cheaper (when you buy a device; and especially due to lack of discounts). And T-Mobile's coverage is the worst of the big four (although it is really decent in my area).

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes. It is considerably lower pricing.

No it isn't. The only value it adds is texting, but not everyone uses texting. Plus that's without discounts and the Sprint taxes and tax.

That is true, and much better data speeds. And you pay for it dearly. It is worth noting that Sprint's voice coverage and 1RTT data (super-slow data) coverage is pretty much identical to Verizon's, because they share each other's towers for roaming.
I agree, Verizon's new Share Everything plans are ridiculously overpriced for Single Line plans. Sprint's voice coverage apparently isn't that great since people are still having problems with dropped calls.

I have worked it many ways and can't get T-Mobile to come out cheaper (when you buy a device; and especially due to lack of discounts). And T-Mobile's coverage is the worst of the big four (although it is really decent in my area).

T-mobile's coverage has been improving, but it is still a work in progress. But look at their plans. The same plan on Sprint would be about $85-$90 while on T-Mobile it'll be about $65-$75. That's just on base. T-Mobile has very flexible pricing and to think otherwise would be silly.

I know you said "sarcasm", but what was that data speed the last time your contract was up? My guess is you resigned for another two years to get your EVO 4G LTE. There where plans in place to roll out LTE, but no promises. You knew what your 3G speeds were when you signed. If you want to complain about something now, your only avenue is to complain about the decision you made.

Nope. I didn't resign myself to another two years for my Evo 4G LTE. I got it off contract. Were you that desperate that you resulted to assuming things? Even if I did, my only options for a smartphone to keep for two years are limited to the Epic Touch 4G, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, the iPhone, and the Evo 4G LTE. Not much of a choice there.

And no I'm not sprint apologist. I'm in an area that most likely won't see LTE until the very end, in fact I'll probably be onto a new phone by the time we get it, so yeah I understand slow 3G speeds...

Getting LTE isn't as important to me as getting good data speeds after paying for "premium" data.

Last edited:

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I pay under $200 for 4 lines unlimited everything. No other company could touch that. Honestly, its even worse complaining about service while off contract. Why continue to pay for it if you don't like the service? Move on so you can stop complaining about it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37