One FoxFi question..

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Just discovered FoxFi. Very simple and easy to use on my EVO LTE. Like many, I have had some thoughts about the legality of using it. I have read a ton of articles today on that subject and really don't want to start another thread on the legality of it. But, the one question I haven't seen answered is simply this: Has anyone actually had Sprint cut them off for using it??

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
All I know from a legal standpoint is that the worst case scenario is being billed by Sprint for it. It's in no way a criminal activity to root, use free tethering, flash roms or really do any of that other stuff that they're not too fond of.

To answer your question though, I've always been fine using foxfi or other tethering options, I've even known some Sprint employees to use foxfi instead of paying for tethering. Unless you run through sprint corporate locations broadcasting a hotspot with foxfi and yelling about how you're not paying for it I don't think you're likely to get noticed or charged by them.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Reactions: glenninduluth

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
While I'm sure kron is right. When Sprint drops unlimited data because it can't continue to support the bandwidth that everyone is sucking down by tethering their ipads, ipods, tablets, xbox, etc., you will have nobody to blame but yourself and all your tethering buddies.

Reactions: glenninduluth

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. As I mentioned before, don't want to start another thread on the legalities of using it. There are a ton of threads like that out there already. For what it's worth, I have an internet provider and have no plans to drop them. However, I see FoxFi as a backup option for those times when my internet provider is down. I have Clearwire and every now and then the service cuts out in my area (been happening the last few days). What I did find interesting is that during the brief time I have tried FoxFi I found it to be faster than my Clearwire yet they are both using a 3G signal! If Sprint were to offer an unlimited tethering plan in a price range close to that of Clearwire I would gladly switch over. My internet usage is not heavy and these speeds work just fine for my needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87