Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dyphx
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Car charger recommendation

Hi guys,
    I am trying to find a good car charger for my EVO but wanted to check here before making any purchases. I was looking at this combo kit on Amazon- Amazon.com: HTC EVO 4G LTE (Sprint) Premium Combo Pack - Wall Charger + Car Charger + Micro USB Cable ATOM LED Keychain Light: Cell Phones & Accessories. I just am not sure if I should go with an official product or if a generic charger will do the same job but at a lower cost without negatively affecting my battery.
    Thanks!

ROM
    stock

I would go with a charger rated the same as the official charger (input 100-240V 200mA 50-60 Hz, output 5V 1A). Also, you may want to use an HTC OEM cable, while the generic cables may be cheaper I've had problems using those (generally either the cable failing or causing the phone to overheat).

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Default Re: Car charger recommendation

Thanked by:
    Jaggrey and G3TCASHM0N3Y like this.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

I got one of these and use the OEM cable to charge in the car. works perfectly.

Griffin PowerJolt Dual Micro Universal Charger: iPods & MP3 Players : Walmart.com

I've used other non oem chargers off ebay that were cheap and it started to mess with the phone (palm pre), so I stopped. I found this one to be able to charge my evo lte and my husbands iphone at the same time, quickly too, and not put a drain on the battery or mess up our phones.

I recommend the dual USB port car/wall charger that Sprint sells it comes with a USB cable that works well with the EVO and if you ever find yourself needing to charge your phone you can use it as a wall charger.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dayphx View Post
    I use the same thing. I've bought more than 10 of them. One in every car and I've given away several to people who needed one. No problems with any of them. Just make sure to get the genuine ones sold directly by Amazon. Some of the other sellers on there sell knockoffs.
    Last edited by NicksGarage; 09-06-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + Nexus 9 + G Watch R

Quote Originally Posted by dayphx View Post
    I also highly recommend this charger. This is the only charger I've used with my phone that while using GPS navigation will maintain and even charge (somewhat) the phone without the phone overheating. Other chargers that I've tried would overheat the phone after about 10 mins of navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vysse View Post
    I recommend the dual USB port car/wall charger that Sprint sells it comes with a USB cable that works well with the EVO and if you ever find yourself needing to charge your phone you can use it as a wall charger.

I have this one which cost me around $6 new. I use the OEM HTC cable (to help avoid any possible port issues) which can be bought new for $1-$2.

Sensorly --- Signal Check Pro --- Root Metrics

Bend, Oregon

I wonder how you know when they are knockoffs. I have purchased a number of these from Amazon and they are all dead to quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    I use the same thing. I've bought more than 10 of them. One in every car and I've given away several to people who needed one. No problems with any of them. Just make sure to get the genuine ones sold directly by Amazon. Some of the other sellers on there sell knockoffs.

Monoprice charger is legit. $3 shipped. Get the 1V version.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Irishgator View Post
    I wonder how you know when they are knockoffs. I have purchased a number of these from Amazon and they are all dead to quickly...
    On the Amazon page users have posted pictures showing the differences between the knockoffs and real ones.

Sent from my HTC EVOLTE using Tapatalk.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + Nexus 9 + G Watch R

Quote Originally Posted by 541rrhse View Post
    I have this one which cost me around $6 new. I use the OEM HTC cable (to help avoid any possible port issues) which can be bought new for $1-$2.

http://i48.tinypic.com/sbjz0x.png
    http://i49.tinypic.com/2z5un8h.png
    Where did you get it for $6? I paid like 30-40 and my gf lost it...

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Vysse View Post
    Where did you get it for $6? I paid like 30-40 and my gf lost it...

Checked today and they are $4.69 on Amazon. I'm going to get me a couple more. I've got to stop giving away my car chargers.

Here's a link.

Amazon.com: OEM Sprint Micro USB Rapid Car Vehicle Auto Plug in Battery Charger + Home Wall Travel Charger for HTC Desire Z - HTC Gratia - Sprint HTC EVO 4G - US Cellular HTC Merge - HTC 7 Pro - T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide - Cell Phone - All-in-One Com

ROM
    CM7 or a stock sense rom

Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    That charger is sweet. It charges my evo just as fast in the car as a wall charger does.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

I've been using my Palm Pre car charger and cable and it does fine. In my wife's car, we have one of the 2 outlet chargers for her iPhone and my phone to charge at the same time. I don't see a need to replace my car charger until it dies.
    Palm Pilot Pro->Palm V->BlackBerry 8100->PalmTreo650->PalmTreo680->OG iPhone->Palm Pre->OG Evo4G->EVO4GLTE,HTC ONE!

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 2.3.4 :-(

Just make sure it can provide enough current. The specs of the original one are the best way to be safe, I'd think.

If the current provided by the charger is not enough, you'll find that the batter runs down, even when plugged in the charger.