SMS Issues after recent OTA?

Izreill

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I haven't been able to locate anything concerning this issue, anywhere, so I'm beginning to think I may be the only one. I'm unsure if the OTA is to blame, but since then, my stock SMS application has been experiencing horrible lag. For instance, I will tap to open the messaging app, then tap a message to open and it'll take perhaps a literal minute to open (stuck on the loading screen). Also, texts will often take minutes to send or receive. Any ideas??

Izreill

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Also, I more recently noticed there's a lag when placing phone calls, at times, where I will tap the person to call, and it will "freeze" (you can still actively do other things on the phone but the phone call won't be placed until sometimes 30-40 seconds after the fact).

geomatrix

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
There is a fix, it has to do with the facebook syncing contacts, its wrecked. I copied what another forum said:

Note that all of my contacts are stored in my gmail account so if you're going to follow the process I'm outlining below, make sure your contacts are either synced to your gmail or you made a backup from within the app.

- Disable Facebook Contact syncing of contacts (from Facebook settings or Settings -> Accounts & sync -> Facebook -> UNCHECK Sync Contacts/Sync Live Feed). - Disable Google Contact syncing (Settings -> Accounts & sync -> Google -> UNCHECK Sync Contacts) - Clear data of your contacts file. (Manage apps (All tab) -> Contacts Storage -> Force stop/Clear cache/Clear data) - Restart device (to make sure all temp files are properly cleared) - Launch Contacts and verify it's empty (except for the single My Profile which auto creates) and then exit it immediately - Accounts & sync. Turn Google Contact Syncing back ON. (Leave Facebook syncing off for now.)

Voila! Once I did the above, speed of all the apps accessing my Contacts file was back to normal, and my Contacts file itself shrunk down from 37 MB to 6.5 MB!

PS - I haven't turned Facebook syncing back on just now since it's possible that turning it back on would slow everything down again. I'm not sure. For now, I prefer to just leave FB Contact syncing off until I have more time to play with it again

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Great suggestion! Too bad I'm having the same problem and I've never had Facebook sync on! I just checked and nope, doesn't seem I ever turned it on in a drunken stupor either, so the problem isn't triggered just by Facebook.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

BoredandTattooed

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't sync FB contacts, but have had the contact bug since the update also...

I still followed these steps, and it totally fixed my issue..

A thousand thank yous

geomatrix

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Great suggestion! Too bad I'm having the same problem and I've never had Facebook sync on! I just checked and nope, doesn't seem I ever turned it on in a drunken stupor either, so the problem isn't triggered just by Facebook.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't have facebook synced either but did this a week ago, there's no more issues with the sms app or even when you hit a contact to call them and it just stays there

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
There is a fix, it has to do with the facebook syncing contacts, its wrecked. I copied what another forum said:

Note that all of my contacts are stored in my gmail account so if you're going to follow the process I'm outlining below, make sure your contacts are either synced to your gmail or you made a backup from within the app.

- Disable Facebook Contact syncing of contacts (from Facebook settings or Settings -> Accounts & sync -> Facebook -> UNCHECK Sync Contacts/Sync Live Feed). - Disable Google Contact syncing (Settings -> Accounts & sync -> Google -> UNCHECK Sync Contacts) - Clear data of your contacts file. (Manage apps (All tab) -> Contacts Storage -> Force stop/Clear cache/Clear data) - Restart device (to make sure all temp files are properly cleared) - Launch Contacts and verify it's empty (except for the single My Profile which auto creates) and then exit it immediately - Accounts & sync. Turn Google Contact Syncing back ON. (Leave Facebook syncing off for now.)

Voila! Once I did the above, speed of all the apps accessing my Contacts file was back to normal, and my Contacts file itself shrunk down from 37 MB to 6.5 MB!

PS - I haven't turned Facebook syncing back on just now since it's possible that turning it back on would slow everything down again. I'm not sure. For now, I prefer to just leave FB Contact syncing off until I have more time to play with it again

I did this and it worked. I did turn the FB sync back on and it worked for a couple of weeks. I just did this again and I'm leaving the FB sync off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech