Are you having contacts related issues?

What issues are you having?

• Total voters

purplescarves

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Called Sprint, initially she tried to convince me that it was due to the data connection. She started listing all the towers in the area that were down or being worked on. I asked her repeatedly how that would lead to having issues merely opening my contacts. She stated that you need a data connection to open your contacts. Then she changed her mind and said that it shouldn't be a data problem and walked me through a phone reset. Which I already know doesn't work because it's been done before. I explained the problem to her again. She said to reset each time it happens. I refuse to reset 5-10 times a day to 'fix' the problem. That's not a fix. I explained the problem to her again and she created an e-ticket for me so that I can take it to the nearest Sprint store to receive a diagnostic.

More to follow...

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you have more than one Google account? If so both could be syncing causing your problem. I suffered from the same problem until I cleaned up my Google Contacts. Now when I get a new contact I add them to Google first then my phone syncs keeping everything clean. Also make sure Facebook on your phone is not set up to sync. In short what is happening is your phone is syncing more than one address account, it could be one of the following Google, Facebook, Twitter. We forget this is a computer it only does what we tell it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
None of what you said solves this problem for me. My phone is only connected to a single google account and I don't use facebook.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried rooting/flashing a custom ROM and have it get rid of these problems on his or her device?

I'm still holding onto hope that HTC issues a fix soon, but i don't think I can go through the holidays with the phone acting up like this on occasion. But, at the same time I don't want to be constantly flashing ROMs knowing that there are other things that don't work yet (video recording on CM10, for one).

I just don't understand how the third generation Evo can have such a crippling issue. The first two weren't without issues, but nothing that rendered simple phone functions useless at times.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I went into the Sprint service store yesterday because I could not call anyone. The guy told me it was actually Sprint's fault and not my phone. I couldn't replicate it (of course) to show him that no, it's actually my phone not dialing the contact I've selected, not that the phone is unable to connect to Sprint's bad service. I just said, "oh, ok" and walked out. I probably should have pushed, but it's not going to change anything. I think I've reached the end of my rope with all of this and I'm just going to get a Nexus 4.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I went into the Sprint service store yesterday because I could not call anyone. The guy told me it was actually Sprint's fault and not my phone. I couldn't replicate it (of course) to show him that no, it's actually my phone not dialing the contact I've selected, not that the phone is unable to connect to Sprint's bad service. I just said, "oh, ok" and walked out. I probably should have pushed, but it's not going to change anything. I think I've reached the end of my rope with all of this and I'm just going to get a Nexus 4.

I've been able to produce the condition by opening a bunch of Google apps in succession. Have several tabs open in Chrome, then open YouTube, then Gmail or Google+ and then try to open contacts or dial via a contact in the dialer. Contacts will sit on the loading screen for a long time and the dialer usually won't work for a while.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
i am also having all those issues. it's very annoying. this was a great phone, but ever since the last update, all these issues started tocome up. my friend who have the same phone as me is having the same problems. i did a factory reset, it helped for a week or so, then the problems came back again. doesn't really matter now since i am getting a nexus 4 anyway. i am suspecting that this has to do w/ sense, but last htc phone the hero also had a lot of the same problems.

kidaa

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I did an adb logcat and noticed a message saying that process xxxxx has been locking the contact database preventing normal usage of the phone/contacts functions. Either the database is corrupt/needs indexing or there is a common app that is locking the contacts database and not releasing the lock. There are other possibilities but these just came to mind.

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
My thought is that it definitely has to be app related. The reason I say this is because my wife has the exact same phone and does not have this issue (crossing my fingers to not jinxing her). She is rooted, s-off, and running the stock rom just like I am. Her contact related apps work just fine. Can we try and target a specific app in the poll or somewhere else. My first thought is Chrome is the culprit. Does anyone else have this installed?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My thought is that it definitely has to be app related. The reason I say this is because my wife has the exact same phone and does not have this issue (crossing my fingers to not jinxing her). She is rooted, s-off, and running the stock rom just like I am. Her contact related apps work just fine. Can we try and target a specific app in the poll or somewhere else. My first thought is Chrome is the culprit. Does anyone else have this installed?

Negative, ghostrider.

thatguy7#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Me too. I can't for the life of me figure out why my wife's phone does not have any of these issues either. These issues really suck.

I wish that the Nexus 4 had been available on Sprint. This makes me regret not going with the S3 or Galaxy Nexus originally.

This is the type of crap that drives people to the iPhone too. Too much fragmentation and carrier control on Android.

mawilson82

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I do not have an issue - here is what I have if it helps:

Stock
Facebook - sync existing only
Twitter - sync existing only
1 Google Account
Several contacts in People app linked with both Facebook and Twitter.

Phonebook showing Google Account and Phone Contacts.
Settings: Only with Phone Number.

Let me know if anyone wants somethings else checked.

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I do not have an issue - here is what I have if it helps:

Stock
Facebook - sync existing only
Twitter - sync existing only
1 Google Account
Several contacts in People app linked with both Facebook and Twitter.

Phonebook showing Google Account and Phone Contacts.
Settings: Only with Phone Number.

Let me know if anyone wants somethings else checked.

Interesting. Is there anyone having problems with only 1 Google account synced whether or not you sync the contacts? My wife's phone has only one Google account but I have two.