Does Anyone Still Use The FM Radio Tuner?

daleta

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Just so this doesn't go off topic, let me first stat that this post has nothing to do with streaming apps of any kind, like IHeartRadio, TuneIn Radio, etc.

I figured I'd ask because it's one of those things you never hear about. I've always used it to listen to the local sports radio station and stations with no online streaming, and up until recently, I've only had 3g to stream with. It's definitely a feature that I'd want for any phone I buy, and I haven't come across an HTC phone I was interested in without it. I would like a holo app but I've only seen one tuner in the play store. Is this a big feature for anyone else? Are there any other tuner apps that you use? Anyone want HD Radio?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I believe my last three phones, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G, all had an FM tuner. I think it used it once on the original Evo just to see how it worked, since it was a novel feature. Never used it, since. Local radio is just HORRIBLE and has been that way for at least 15, maybe 20 years now. There are no stations that play much of anything I want to hear, and the commercials are not only almost continuous but they are also extremely annoying; even insulting. Just can't stand it. I don't think I have ever even tried the radio in either of my last two cars (which spans 15 years).

Have no interest in sports, have no interest in news. I just throw all my music on a big SD card on every device I own (except car and home/work computers, where it is on hard drives) and play what I want to hear, and the audio quality is 100 times better. Even if they added HD radio (why didn't they?) it wouldn't fix the content.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
No way. I'm either listening to my music on Google Music or streaming from sirius or tune in. I use Bluetooth stereo headphones and that does not work with fm tuner anyway. Fm tuner is so stone age lol.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

vision63

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I use mine all the time. You have to use wired headphones which functions as an antenna. I'm in the Bay Area and stations come in just fine.

norbz

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I enjoy mine I was actually impressed when I found out this phone had an dm tuner I listen to MPR all day all take that over listening to the same ol brain washing crapy music that's on the the other stations any day XD

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Evo 4G here...used it once in 2+ years and couldn't pick up much. Don't even notice it's not there if a rom I flash doesn't include it.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Central Forums

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Evo 4G here...used it once in 2+ years and couldn't pick up much. Don't even notice it's not there if a rom I flash doesn't include it.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Central Forums

Fm radio is like the 8 track, or black and white tv. It really is a dying medium. Streaming has destroyed fm. Any fm station that I would want to listen to can be streamed either from that stations website or apps like tune in and I heart radio.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I still listen to radio occasionally, NPR or any music I hear that happens to be OK, but only when I'm in the car, and yeah, most of the time I am either streaming Pandora or playing my own music.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
For me, the 13 bucks a month I pay for sirius /xm is the best 13 bucks I spend.. I listen from 630 am to 430 pm everyday. When in my car I put phone in car mount and connect to my car system and listen. I absolutely love sirius app the on demand feature is outstanding. If you see a channel with a song on you like,, you press that channel and you automatically hear that song from the beginning.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

kitster

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I used it for the first time over the weekend when I had to mow the lawn during the Falcons/Saints game.
When I had my OG Evo, the FM tuner was crap - so I would stream stations through TuneIn radio and that
was usually fine. Not wonderful, but it would do. Sunday, I decided to try the FM tuner on the new phone, and
it worked like a charm. Crystal clear and no interruption of service. It was odd. Same location (my yard), same
headphones.. but maybe the radio in the 4G LTE is newer/better.

Having said all that, if it were any other game - I would have used TuneIn Radio. It is like having every college
and pro flagship station right in the palm of your hand. About a month ago while doing yard work, I listened to the
Falcons game. When it was over, I listened to the 4th quarter of the Redskins game. Later, I went out to dinner,
and listened to the end of the 4pm game (49'ers) on the way to the restaurant. On the way home, I listened to
the pre-game of the Sunday Night game. It was awesome.

Bkmike23

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I never really used the FM Radio until Hurricane Sandy hit and I had lost power for a few hours. I had no cell service so the fm radio on my phone was the only thing keeping me up to date with the news in my area. So I would really hope HTC continues to put the radio in their phones because you never know when it may become useful to you.

norbz

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Good luck streaming Pandora with bad reception fm radio comes in handy love pc out people

eXplicit815

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't even use FM in my car because of all the options on my phone, LOL. But in all seriousness, I completely forgot about the FM tuner, and I just fired it up to use it now because I do like some of the stations around the area.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried it once just to see if it worked. There aren't any good local stations here.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I used it for the first time over the weekend when I had to mow the lawn during the Falcons/Saints game.
When I had my OG Evo, the FM tuner was crap - so I would stream stations through TuneIn radio and that
was usually fine. Not wonderful, but it would do. Sunday, I decided to try the FM tuner on the new phone, and
it worked like a charm. Crystal clear and no interruption of service. It was odd. Same location (my yard), same
headphones.. but maybe the radio in the 4G LTE is newer/better.

Having said all that, if it were any other game - I would have used TuneIn Radio. It is like having every college
and pro flagship station right in the palm of your hand. About a month ago while doing yard work, I listened to the
Falcons game. When it was over, I listened to the 4th quarter of the Redskins game. Later, I went out to dinner,
and listened to the end of the 4pm game (49'ers) on the way to the restaurant. On the way home, I listened to
the pre-game of the Sunday Night game. It was awesome.

Weather is also a factor with fm radios.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

Hammer9274

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I use it every now and then. I'll listen to local high school and college football games. Not every thing is on TuneIn Radio, IHeartRadio, etc.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech