Page 39 of 133 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142 ... LastLast
Like Tree2031Likes
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts

Default Re: Update coming to HTC evo 4g lte

Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post
    I think right now Sammy is the best of both worlds, better hardware (SD and bigger screen to name 2)
    Your statement is not accurate. It is not "better" hardware. The screen is much worse looking, the build quality (IMHO) is not as nice, the case is poorer, it has no camera button, touchwiz is not as nice as Sense, and it has no kickstand. And the Evo LTE *does* have SD. Bigger screen? If you think anyone will notice 0.1" difference in size, good luck. About the only advantage I see of the GS3 (supposedly what you are touting) is a quick swap battery, and for that you end up with a crappy back and (according to most reports) a shorter battery life (and the Evo LTE battery can be replaced in 5 min), although it is an advantage to some people.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Cmorris8848 View Post
    That is if it works the way you are saying it works..

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    It does.... Trust me bud.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kizzmocat View Post
    I figured it out, the sprint care people were told it was the first TWOS DAY in december, thus we were told Dec 2nd, but i have been smart enough to figure out the secret htc/sprint code, it will be announced on twosday! Duh! :banghead:

Haha some good work there. Hehe

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

Ok I know we are all upset but lets think about a few things real quick. Remember when the original Evo was updated first and had the correct marketing behind it? Samsung pissed off many with the Epic when they didn't update it in a timely manner. Now it seems as though Samsung learned their lesson with the SG3 and gave it correct marketing and timely updates (doesn't make it a better phone). Now HTC has hired a new marketing guy and I'm sure they will learn from the bad word of mouth even though we "tech heads" are a very small customer base for them. With that being said companies will have to realize that although we are the small customer base we are the majority that the normal user comes to for advise. So until Google comes out with a Nexus with the features and build quality of HTC I will stick with HTC. Now I know like most we would all love for Google to ask HTC to make a Nexus phone, it would sell like hotcakes and push HTC back to the top.

Ice
    Thanked by 2:
    YvesStLawrence likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
    I agree, because the Nexus phones never have issues and they always get the update within minutes of release. And those updates never have bugs (hello Google. I'm the month of December. Remember me?). And they always have the most impressive hardware. You do realize that everyone is getting pissy about an update, that Sprint never announced, not being released?
    Regardless of your snark, I can accept all of that.
    I have a Nexus 7 tablet and I can take that experience over this "My mom cooks for Dan Hesse and he said that the EVO LTE will get JB on or about the second half of 2012....or by mid 2013"

I'm not saying the Nexus line is without faults, nothing is perfect; it just cuts out the middleman.

Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post
    I think right now Sammy is the best of both worlds, better hardware (SD and bigger screen to name 2) than the nexus and better support than HTC

I'm trying to hold out for the note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Your statement is not accurate. It is not "better" hardware. The screen is much worse looking, the build quality (IMHO) is not as nice, the case is poorer, it has no camera button, touchwiz is not as nice as Sense, and it has no kickstand. And the Evo LTE *does* have SD. Bigger screen? If you think anyone will notice 0.1" difference in size, good luck. About the only advantage I see of the GS3 (supposedly what you are touting) is a quick swap battery, and for that you end up with a crappy back and (according to most reports) a shorter battery life (and the Evo LTE battery can be replaced in 5 min), although it is an advantage to some people.
    My hardware comparison was to the nexus (as I said). I've been nothing but impressed with the Evo's hardware. And the gs3 is the easy reference since it's definitely the direct competitor to the evo, but for me I would go with the note like I said (personal preference). The "crappy back" I don't think is that crappy and the note 2 has great battery life.

But my point is in general people who go with a non nexus are always jealous of the quick updates but they go with the sammys and htcs because they have better hardware options. And right now Sammy has some nice hardware and getting more love than we're getting. Instead I'm reading about the One VX, the DNA, the X+ or whatever the hell it's called. There will probably be a DNA+ and we'll still be speculating about our next update coming (insert the next tuesday here)

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. slaughter View Post
    It does.... Trust me bud.

Sgt, if it worked that way, then why doesn't all GS3 owners on Sprint have JB? Why doesn't all international One X phones run JB right now either? I'm sorry to burst your bubble, Sgt.

Mercury81 likes this.

Sgt, if it worked that way, then why doesn't all GS3 owners on Sprint have JB? Why doesn't all international One X phones run JB right now either? I'm sorry to burst your bubble, Sgt.

Lol well one is bc that's how sammy runs their ship evidently with that regard.... HTC for the matter does not do it that way when releasing for Sprint OTAs... The most delay you'd see when trying to manually pull an OTA on HTC android sprint device is a couple hrs at max.

HTC releases the Int version OTA in smaller sections of the world bc that is logic and makes sense as there are far more of those than EVOs and far more variables at hand there too when they make that kind of rollout...

Go back and read that leak doc even... It says client initiated for X days and then X amount pushed for X days and progressively more on after....

There's no bubble to burst here bud, I know for a 100% fact I'm right on this. Been around a long time, and thoroughly know what I'm talking about.

Wow nearly one thousand posts in just over two weeks. Don't get me wrong I have contact issues and would love me some jelly bean love, also this provides some very amusing reading but it's A little out of hand.

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Lol well one is bc that's how sammy runs their ship evidently with that regard.... HTC for the matter does not do it that way when releasing for Sprint OTAs... The most delay you'd see when trying to manually pull an OTA on HTC android sprint device is a couple hrs at max.

HTC releases the Int version OTA in smaller sections of the world bc that is logic and makes sense as there are far more of those than EVOs and far more variables at hand there too when they make that kind of rollout...

Go back and read that leak doc even... It says client initiated for X days and then X amount pushed for X days and progressively more on after....

There's no bubble to burst here bud, I know for a 100% fact I'm right on this. Been around a long time, and thoroughly know what I'm talking about.

I'd much rather go with what you say, but no matter what, looks like we're gonna be waiting awhile

jahiamir and RedMouseBall like this.

I'd much rather go with what you say, but no matter what, looks like we're gonna be waiting awhile

Correct... Though awhile can have many different definitions... ..... Just isn't gonna be today is for certain...hehe

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Anyone else do there research on what to expect with the new update? If the rumor of HTC pulling the update back to tweak some things, I hope they add the wallpaper scrolling feature back in from what they took out in the sense 4+ and they take out the power saver always in the notification bar thing. Here's to hoping!

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by klamer View Post
    Regardless of your snark, I can accept all of that.
    I have a Nexus 7 tablet and I can take that experience over this "My mom cooks for Dan Hesse and he said that the EVO LTE will get JB on or about the second half of 2012....or by mid 2013"

I'm not saying the Nexus line is without faults, nothing is perfect; it just cuts out the middleman.
    It wasn't snark. It was thinly veiled contempt. My point was exactly what you stated, that every device has its own issues, including the Nexus devices. But to say that having a Nexus eliminates the middle man is just plain inaccurate. Ask Verizon owners. It's more of a CDMA issue, so if you're going Nexus on AT&T or T-Mo, that's a different story.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
    Ask Verizon owners. It's more of a CDMA issue, so if you're going Nexus on AT&T or T-Mo, that's a different story.
    No, it is not a "CDMA issue". There is nothing inherent in that technology that would make or allow a carrier be more or less prone to locking down a phone, charging differently, installing bloatware, dragging out updates, having limited devices, not welcoming unlocked devices, etc. It is just a communication spec. Contrast/compare Sprint to Verizon (both CDMA) and you will see a lot of difference in many such policies.

It really is unfortunate that carriers are allowed to sell phones. Consumers would be far better off if they could buy whatever phone they want from where-ever they want and were not locked into punitive contracts.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:
    boo5ted, klamer and YvesStLawrence like this.

No, it is not a "CDMA issue". There is nothing inherent in that technology that would make or allow a carrier be more or less prone to locking down a phone, charging differently, installing bloatware, dragging out updates, having limited devices, not welcoming unlocked devices, etc. It is just a communication spec. Contrast/compare Sprint to Verizon (both CDMA) and you will see a lot of difference in many such policies.

It really is unfortunate that carriers are allowed to sell phones. Consumers would be far better off if they could buy whatever phone they want from where-ever they want and were not locked into punitive contracts.
    This would be the case if they could build in every antennae config and radio spec into a single device.... Otherwise this will continue to be an issue...

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This would be the case if they could build in every antennae config and radio spec into a single device.... Otherwise this will continue to be an issue...

maybe in the future, companies would work together instead of against each other. then something like this could happen. frankly, this would be a lot easier for companies to create new phones and manufacturing plants to build them

Quote Originally Posted by zakphi View Post
    maybe in the future, companies would work together instead of against each other. then something like this could happen. frankly, this would be a lot easier for companies to create new phones and manufacturing plants to build them
    It's more about the ability to include them in the phone... Not the space that once was there before...

Well it beats the option of this circlejerk
    DJWetWipes likes this.

ROM
    Stock

It absolutely is a CDMA issue. If you want to throw Verizon being anal retentive about the software that's installed on the Nexus devices on their network on top of that, feel free. But the plain and simple fact is that the devices are designed and built for GSM technology, not CDMA. Extra steps are taken to get the devices CDMA ready. That isn't my opinion. That is just the simple truth.

Without going into a disertation, here are the key points: GSM isn't a free technology, but it is easier to implement than CDMA. Why? Because "CDMA" really means "Qualcomm", meaning royalties and licensing takes place for every single device using the technology. GSM isn't quite free, per se, but it is exponentially less than CDMA. More importantly, a CDMA network generally (not always) ties devices to that specific network. Sprint and Verizon have to give their "permission" to switch devices on the network, and they aren't required to allow just any CDMA device on there. But GSM carriers, by definition, are required to accept ANY other GSM device on a network, so device-control is really not up to them. That's part of the GSM standards. That doesn't mean they always play 100% well together, especially given the different frequency bands carriers choose to use. Just ask anyone who uses an iPhone on T-Mobile. Data speeds aren't as fast, but have SIM card, will travel.

So when the Nexus is designed, it's done so as a GSM device. When it comes out, it's a GSM device. Wanna' get it directly from Google? It'll be a GSM device. It takes a little more time, and money, to build that Nexus device to run on Sprint or Verizon's CDMA networks. It isn't great, but that is just the truth. So when Android gets an update and pushes it out to the Nexus, it's designed for the GSM variant. By default. A little extra time is spent to get it working for the CDMA variants.

And for the record, you're allowed to buy whatever device you want and not be locked into that punitive contract. People do it every day. I've been off-contract on two of my four lines with Sprint for over a year and just picked up a GS3 for one of them. I paid more than the subsidized price, but that's the cost of being off contract so I can have freedom to move to a different network if I choose to down the line. The real issue with that is the "off-contract" price for these devices. I can get a 17" laptop w/ a 1TB HDD, 8GB of RAM and a Blu-ray drive for $490, but this EVO would have cost me $600??? There's the real problem.

Evo-lution 4g lte
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Update coming to HTC EVO 4G LTE-uploadfromtaptalk1354537030456.jpg  
    love my evo.

Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    Evo-lution 4g lte
    Lol funny pic there....

Thanked by:
    zmann 

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

I just saw this post over at Sprint

Dec 2, 2012 9:40 PM
    htc evo update error
    This question is Not Answered.
    so my screen went blank last night and about 20 min later it came back on and i recieved a error message saying your phone is recovering from an update error. not too long after that the screen went blank again and has been like it ever since. the phone itself works i can recieve calls and stuff but the screen is just not visible. has this been going on for other people with the new htc evo 4g lte?

ROM
    Stock on both for now.

ZMann, a man of his word.....

On another note.....I woke up, checked for an update, got none went to work and checked for an update, got none. Waited an hour, checked for an update and got none. Screw this, I'm not checking for updates anymore! IF it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, I'm going the CM10 route in January....maybe for my birthday...in my birthday suit. Won't the wife and kids be pleased?

ROM
    Sprint Stock

Quote Originally Posted by koam View Post
    I just saw this post over at Sprint

Dec 2, 2012 9:40 PM
    htc evo update error
    This question is Not Answered.
    so my screen went blank last night and about 20 min later it came back on and i recieved a error message saying your phone is recovering from an update error. not too long after that the screen went blank again and has been like it ever since. the phone itself works i can recieve calls and stuff but the screen is just not visible. has this been going on for other people with the new htc evo 4g lte?

They don't specify what version of the update they got. Could've been the bug fixes from the 2.13 update.

I just had a great idea guys... Google now should just be an app. I would be happy.

Sent from Trey's EVO 4G LTE
    Thanked by:
    YvesStLawrence likes this.
Page 39 of 133 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142 ... LastLast