Update coming to HTC EVO 4G LTE

sgt. slaughter

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Update coming to HTC evo 4g lte

I'm S-OFF'd and Rooted myself. It's really not as intimidating of a task as it looks. And you'd be happy when you were done.

As for this Dec. 2 update release, I'm not holding my breath. First it was the 11/15, then the 11/27, then a couple more days... I'll just wait until I see 30 new threads started on the XDA General forum saying that they got the release. BTW, does that happen here as well?

30?..... Come on you know we won't allow that to fly. Will be Nuked instantly

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

spencer311

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

That's the thing, is nandroid backup an app? Or is it easier than im thinking?, sorry im not on topic

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
No its not an app. Once you root you can install a custom recovery and that is where you can install roms and kernals. I personally use TWRP but for somebody starting out Clockwork recovery might be easier. But all you have to do is hit the backup button. That way if you mess things up all you have to do is restore it to your last working rom.

smkyle

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

No its not an app. Once you root you can install a custom recovery and that is where you can install roms and kernals. I personally use TWRP but for somebody starting out Clockwork recovery might be easier. But all you have to do is hit the backup button. That way if you mess things up all you have to do is restore it to your last working rom.

There are some good backup apps out there like titanium. Even ES file explorer should be enough to backup app data. Just make sure your backups are on the external sd card. I was shocked at how easy it was to get this phone rooted. I'm on hboot 1.12 though. Got this phone the day it came out. YMMV

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I again believe what you say because I have gotten similar information. So if I am off 2 or 3 days from my original comment then I will still very much consider my source of information reliable. How can 2 different people who don't even know each other be getting very very similar info.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

The dude was kidnapped by HTC....TWICE, he's legit

treyguad

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Okay guys seriously? Can you take your little rooting party somewhere else? We all want to see updates about JB.

Plus there are plenty of threads that explain in a great detail how to root a phone properly. This guy shouldn't have to explain everything to you... Just sayin...

eXplicit815

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

30?..... Come on you know we won't allow that to fly. Will be Nuked instantly

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I didn't mean 30, literally. I know you got it lock down Sgt. I'll keep up my efforts in informing people to stop making a new thread every time they get 4G in a specific area as well as whenever this release comes out. I'll be the pre-lock informer. LOL

Actually, can that be my title? The Pre-Lock Informer?

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

Okay guys seriously? Can you take your little rooting party somewhere else? We all want to see updates about JB.

Plus there are plenty of threads that explain in a great detail how to root a phone properly. This guy shouldn't have to explain everything to you... Just sayin...

You mean we all want to see speculation about updates about JB.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Said it before, I'll say it again: WE NEED INSIDE.SPRINT.NOW immediately, I sure wish he would come back in the air and get us the details of what is REALLY going in inside Sprint with this nonsense.

Seen some twitter activity from him, but nothing like he used to provide us. There is no way we could have gotten through the whole customs embargo bullsh without him.

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Said it before, I'll say it again: WE NEED INSIDE.SPRINT.NOW immediately, I sure wish he would come back in the air and get us the details of what is REALLY going in inside Sprint with this nonsense.

Seen some twitter activity from him, but nothing like he used to provide us. There is no way we could have gotten through the whole customs embargo bullsh without him.

He was just in here. Must've gone for a beer-run or something. He's just that good of a guy.

admire816

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

This is what I am being told, my source has no reason to make up reasons why it was pushed back. If you dont like my information, dont take it and ignore it. Like I said before, this is what I am being told and I am just relaying information. I joined this site a couple days ago just to give my inside information to put minds at ease cause I know what its like hitting the check for update button every 7 minutes and getting nothing.

What is your inside information that its not because of the iPhone activations? I explained that they were having problems with them activating on Sprint servers and they wanted these new activations to reflect on their anual report. We have EVOs that are half working and we are stuck in a contract, why wouldnt they take care of these new activation and upgrades first? Same goes for their issue with the GS3 being back ordered? Why not take care of these new activations first and get more phones on the street? Ill tell you why they can do this and why they did. Like I said we are under contract, locked in, we are not going anywhere. We can get mad threaten to leave sprint, all over this Jelly Bean update, but truth is, no matter how mad we are, when they release it, no matter if its Sunday or in a month, we will be so happy with Sprint and doing back flips that we will forget how mad we were and go on. They are worried about getting these new activations out there because these people are not locked in for a couple weeks and if they return their phones and go to another carrier, thats another customer lost while Sprint is already a close 3rd in the world of carriers. They need new happy customers, they are not that worried about mad, existing, locked in customers who can be turned happy with a flip of the switch on the update.

Just my 2 cents.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

According to the Sprint Forums, HTC was not comfortable with the new mods in the UI of sense and pulled it right away. But it is going to be Dec. 2nd that the update come out.
If this is true, I'd like a copy of this leak. I'm sure the dev community can fix what HTC has broken. Somebody has to be able to get their hands on it.

I know this is off topic, but encouraging someone to use ClockworkMod on this device is a bad idea, as it messes up one of the device partitions, and hasn't been actively developed since the device came out. TWRP is really the only fully working custom recovery choice.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

How come this update will be Android 4.1? I got Android 4.2 on my Google Nexus 7 weeks ago and yesterday another update to 4.2.1. (I realize Google devices gets updates faster, but wonder why Sprint doesn't just skip 4.1 and go to 4.2.) And the first change to 4.2 was a noticeable improvement over the 4.1 that we're waiting for here.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

It takes a significant amount of time for HTC to prep an update for their phones. Both because of Sense and probably some other reasons I don't know about. Then they have to get it ok'd by Sprint, which doesn't do anything fast. 4.2 source code was just released recently and they've been working on 4.1 for a considerable amount of time already.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

How come this update will be Android 4.1? I got Android 4.2 on my Google Nexus 7 weeks ago and yesterday another update to 4.2.1. (I realize Google devices gets updates faster, but wonder why Sprint doesn't just skip 4.1 and go to 4.2.) And the first change to 4.2 was a noticeable improvement over the 4.1 that we're waiting for here.
Sprint doesn't write the software for the phone. HTC does. And when you are taking Android and making it Sense 4.x then you can't do it in a few days. I don't know a single device that has ever gotten the latest and greatest within a few weeks of release, save for some (but not all!) of the Nexii. I believe that is the plural of Nexus. If it's not, then it is now.

eXplicit815

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

If this is true, I'd like a copy of this leak. I'm sure the dev community can fix what HTC has broken. Somebody has to be able to get their hands on it.

C'mon Cap... You know that it was a fully working build, and they didn't want to release something that didn't have at least 4 things broken. LOL

treyguad

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

This is seriously my last HTC. I think I'm going to strictly buy whatever phone Google is advertising at the time. Those update freaking fast. Is the nexus 4 even on sprint?

Sent from Trey's EVO 4G LTE

ronmac120

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Even the Nexus doesn't get updated as quickly on all the carriers. The builds are not always held up the manufacturer and are more often then not, held up by the carrier. See Verizon Galaxy Nexus Android update failure: three versions behind | BGR

The only way to guarantee that you are going to get all the latest updates is by purchasing an unlocked, GSM, carrier unbranded Nexus every two years because even Google stops supporting devices. If i remember correctly, the OG Nexus is no longer getting updates from Google.

This is seriously my last HTC. I think I'm going to strictly buy whatever phone Google is advertising at the time. Those update freaking fast. Is the nexus 4 even on sprint?

Sent from Trey's EVO 4G LTE

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae