Update coming to HTC EVO 4G LTE

sgt. slaughter

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Update coming to HTC evo 4g lte

No, it is not a "CDMA issue". There is nothing inherent in that technology that would make or allow a carrier be more or less prone to locking down a phone, charging differently, installing bloatware, dragging out updates, having limited devices, not welcoming unlocked devices, etc. It is just a communication spec. Contrast/compare Sprint to Verizon (both CDMA) and you will see a lot of difference in many such policies.

It really is unfortunate that carriers are allowed to sell phones. Consumers would be far better off if they could buy whatever phone they want from where-ever they want and were not locked into punitive contracts.

This would be the case if they could build in every antennae config and radio spec into a single device.... Otherwise this will continue to be an issue...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

zakphi

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

This would be the case if they could build in every antennae config and radio spec into a single device.... Otherwise this will continue to be an issue...

maybe in the future, companies would work together instead of against each other. then something like this could happen. frankly, this would be a lot easier for companies to create new phones and manufacturing plants to build them

sgt. slaughter

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

maybe in the future, companies would work together instead of against each other. then something like this could happen. frankly, this would be a lot easier for companies to create new phones and manufacturing plants to build them

It's more about the ability to include them in the phone... Not the space that once was there before...

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

No, it is not a "CDMA issue". There is nothing inherent in that technology that would make or allow a carrier be more or less prone to locking down a phone, charging differently, installing bloatware, dragging out updates, having limited devices, not welcoming unlocked devices, etc. It is just a communication spec. Contrast/compare Sprint to Verizon (both CDMA) and you will see a lot of difference in many such policies.

It really is unfortunate that carriers are allowed to sell phones. Consumers would be far better off if they could buy whatever phone they want from where-ever they want and were not locked into punitive contracts.

It absolutely is a CDMA issue. If you want to throw Verizon being anal retentive about the software that's installed on the Nexus devices on their network on top of that, feel free. But the plain and simple fact is that the devices are designed and built for GSM technology, not CDMA. Extra steps are taken to get the devices CDMA ready. That isn't my opinion. That is just the simple truth.

Without going into a disertation, here are the key points: GSM isn't a free technology, but it is easier to implement than CDMA. Why? Because "CDMA" really means "Qualcomm", meaning royalties and licensing takes place for every single device using the technology. GSM isn't quite free, per se, but it is exponentially less than CDMA. More importantly, a CDMA network generally (not always) ties devices to that specific network. Sprint and Verizon have to give their "permission" to switch devices on the network, and they aren't required to allow just any CDMA device on there. But GSM carriers, by definition, are required to accept ANY other GSM device on a network, so device-control is really not up to them. That's part of the GSM standards. That doesn't mean they always play 100% well together, especially given the different frequency bands carriers choose to use. Just ask anyone who uses an iPhone on T-Mobile. Data speeds aren't as fast, but have SIM card, will travel.

So when the Nexus is designed, it's done so as a GSM device. When it comes out, it's a GSM device. Wanna' get it directly from Google? It'll be a GSM device. It takes a little more time, and money, to build that Nexus device to run on Sprint or Verizon's CDMA networks. It isn't great, but that is just the truth. So when Android gets an update and pushes it out to the Nexus, it's designed for the GSM variant. By default. A little extra time is spent to get it working for the CDMA variants.

And for the record, you're allowed to buy whatever device you want and not be locked into that punitive contract. People do it every day. I've been off-contract on two of my four lines with Sprint for over a year and just picked up a GS3 for one of them. I paid more than the subsidized price, but that's the cost of being off contract so I can have freedom to move to a different network if I choose to down the line. The real issue with that is the "off-contract" price for these devices. I can get a 17" laptop w/ a 1TB HDD, 8GB of RAM and a Blu-ray drive for $490, but this EVO would have cost me $600??? There's the real problem.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

Evo-lution 4g lte

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354537030456.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354537030456.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 118

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I just saw this post over at Sprint

Dec 2, 2012 9:40 PM
htc evo update error
This question is Not Answered.
so my screen went blank last night and about 20 min later it came back on and i recieved a error message saying your phone is recovering from an update error. not too long after that the screen went blank again and has been like it ever since. the phone itself works i can recieve calls and stuff but the screen is just not visible. has this been going on for other people with the new htc evo 4g lte?​

Sprint Community: htc evo update error

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

ZMann, a man of his word.....

On another note.....I woke up, checked for an update, got none went to work and checked for an update, got none. Waited an hour, checked for an update and got none. Screw this, I'm not checking for updates anymore! IF it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, I'm going the CM10 route in January....maybe for my birthday...in my birthday suit. Won't the wife and kids be pleased?

eXplicit815

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

I just saw this post over at Sprint

Dec 2, 2012 9:40 PM
htc evo update error
This question is Not Answered.
so my screen went blank last night and about 20 min later it came back on and i recieved a error message saying your phone is recovering from an update error. not too long after that the screen went blank again and has been like it ever since. the phone itself works i can recieve calls and stuff but the screen is just not visible. has this been going on for other people with the new htc evo 4g lte?​

Sprint Community: htc evo update error

They don't specify what version of the update they got. Could've been the bug fixes from the 2.13 update.

treyguad

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

I just had a great idea guys... Google now should just be an app. I would be happy.

Sent from Trey's EVO 4G LTE

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

I just had a great idea guys... Google now should just be an app. I would be happy.

THIS! It's really the only feature I'm looking forward too from Jelly Bean. I've been lucky to not be plagued by the issues a lot of you guys are waiting for a fix for.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm not rooted yet. I'm going to give HTC and Sprint until Christmas to get Jellybean out. If it's not out by then I'm going to give Mean ROM and Cm10 a try.

treyguad

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

If you're rooted, why not just add it to your phone?

Alright explain this to me. I've rooted before but all the times I did I was putting a whole new ROM on there. Can I root my phone and keep the original rom and just simply add Google now? Sorry if that's a stupid question

eXplicit815

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

Alright explain this to me. I've rooted before but all the times I did I was putting a whole new ROM on there. Can I root my phone and keep the original rom and just simply add Google now? Sorry if that's a stupid question

Not a stupid question, but the problem is that the only way to root at this time is wiping the phone completely. It can be a bit of a process if you're not familiar with doing it, but it's rewarding in the end. And the developers out there make things as easy as possible to do.

treyguad

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Not a stupid question, but the problem is that the only way to root at this time is wiping the phone completely. It can be a bit of a process if you're not familiar with doing it, but it's rewarding in the end. And the developers out there make things as easy as possible to do.

Well I've rooted this evo before and ended up screwing up a lot of things and was incredibly lucky to be able to unroot. But you didn't answer my question...?

spencer311

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Well I've rooted this evo before and ended up screwing up a lot of things and was incredibly lucky to be able to unroot. But you didn't answer my question...?

Yes you can... But I would suggest CM10! Its great unless you just have to have sense. I personally love the stock android look. My phone is set up just like a nexus lol

thepowerofdonuts

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

There's a thread on XDA for Google Now on ICS. It's in one of the Android forums (not device specific). Or you can Google it.

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Hey, Zmann, think you could ask your insider what happened? I think that's the most reliable thing I could hear today. Thanks ahead of time

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci