Update coming to HTC EVO 4G LTE

boo5ted

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Update coming to HTC evo 4g lte

I was under the impression that although I'm rooted I could still take the OTAs and that it would just break root. Is this not the case? I'm not able to update. It takes me to recovery and when I try to flash the download package from there it says update failed.

I'm honestly not concerned about losing root as honestly I've been trying to unroot for some weeks. I'm happy enough with my phone that I haven't seen a need for it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Rule #1 about rooting and updates, is you NOT accept OTA updates!

If you are rooted, DO NOT accept ANY OTA update. The develper of your Rom usually will update it in a day or two.

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I am interested in hearing if the problem with Google navigation crashing has been resolved. I have waited to upgrade to jb for that reason primarily. The proximity sensor issue would have also driven me crazy.

smotrs

May 17, 2010
Visit site

And yet it STILL does not address the reduction in image quality when attaching images to MMS.

Seriously, this has been a problem since the phone was released and hasn't been addressed in 4 updates.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Okay, what was the issue with the Proximity sensor I keep hearing about? Everyone just keeps calling it the "Proximitity sensor issue", but never what the problem actually is.
The sensitivity of the proximity sensor was too high. For lots of people, removing the screen protector solved it (especially the original Zagg ones with the wrong sized cutout). For a lot of people it didn't. The screen would turn off as soon as a call was answered, as if you were putting the phone up to your ear. It would also turn off when playing back a voicemail, as though you were putting the device up to your ear. Those are the times when the sensor is used, to avoid accidental and unwanted things happening when touching a live screen (i.e. app launching, call ending, etc.).

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

And yet it STILL does not address the reduction in image quality when attaching images to MMS.

Seriously, this has been a problem since the phone was released and hasn't been addressed in 4 updates.
I never had the issue before the JB update. I don't know if it's gone now or not because I haven't checked, but I didn't think it was much of an issue before.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

I never had the issue before the JB update. I don't know if it's gone now or not because I haven't checked, but I didn't think it was much of an issue before.

The problem with the mms stock messenger is that the photo you take with a screen shot is to large for it to be appropriately attached and viewable when sent through stock mms. If you go into the settings and select to make maximum size the largest you can it still does not suffice enough. I played with this when I tried using go sms. It also showed screen shots taken through mms as being blurry and illegible. I changed settings to the largest available and selected keep the same resolution and now they send perfectly.. It has to do with the settings at which or screens are set on resolution I believe.. That's why when you view a screen shot it looks clear prior to sending through mms.. It frustrated me to but a simple solution is to install a alternate sms app.. They are so much better than stock also.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

Sprint's finally posted the changelog ...

Sprint Community: HTC EVO 4G LTE: HTC EVO 4G LTE Software Updates

- Proximity sensor improvements while on a call or listening to voicemail
- Ability to output audio/video to HDTV (and other external displays via MHL cable
- WiFi Connection improvements
- Bluetooth compatibility improvements
- Android process/application shutdown resolved

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

Then again if it is in relation to the screen resolution that we are taking the screen shot of it may be resizing the image for mms and that could be it..

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

smotrs

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Same thing with Handcent. Images come across much clearer then the Stock Messaging system.

A Screenshot that started out as 458KB get's reduced to 22KB using the Stock Messaging system. It gets reduced to 266KB using Handcent. That's a 95% reduction with the stock messaging app versus a 42% reduction using a 3rd party app.

Camera images are just as bad. A photo taken with the camera (max resolution) started out as 1.27MB get's reduced to 34KB using the Stock Messaging system. It gets reduced to 579KB using Handcent. That's a 97% reduction with the stock messaging app versus a 54% reduction using a 3rd party app.

Regardless if a 3rd party app is preferred, the Stock Messaging system still needs to be fixed because not everyone wants to use a 3rd party app.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I haven't tried duplicating the issue recently, but at one point when I attached a slideshow with 2 pictures to a text, only the first one got massively reduced while the second one was only reduced by about 50%.

Last edited:

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site

Rule #1 about rooting and updates, is you NOT accept OTA updates!

If you are rooted, DO NOT accept ANY OTA update. The develper of your Rom usually will update it in a day or two.

I'm running a stock rom. From what I can tell I couldn't accept the ota regardless as it isn't working. I'm aware of the rule I just thought it was so you didn't lose root.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

mkozak

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site

I have been thinking about rooting my device specifically because it doesn't have the AVRCP 1.3 Bluetooth profile so it doesnt pass ID3 tags to my car stereo. I noticed bluetooth compatibility is listed on the changelog. Can anyone who's already updated check to see if MP3 info can be passed to their car radio?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Sprint's finally posted the changelog ...

Sprint Community: HTC EVO 4G LTE: HTC EVO 4G LTE Software Updates

- Proximity sensor improvements while on a call or listening to voicemail
- Ability to output audio/video to HDTV (and other external displays via MHL cable
- WiFi Connection improvements
- Bluetooth compatibility improvements
- Android process/application shutdown resolved

Let's hope it's fixed. It was driving me up the wall trying to stream video.

smotrs

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I haven't tried duplicating the issue recently, but at one point when I attached a slideshow with 2 pictures to a text, only the first one got massively reduced while the second one was only reduced by about 50%.

I just tried this again, all images attached, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, all get reduced to the same size or approximate same size.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Same thing with Handcent. Images come across much clearer then the Stock Messaging system.

A Screenshot that started out as 458KB get's reduced to 22KB using the Stock Messaging system. It gets reduced to 266KB using Handcent. That's a 95% reduction with the stock messaging app versus a 42% reduction using a 3rd party app.

Camera images are just as bad. A photo taken with the camera (max resolution) started out as 1.27MB get's reduced to 34KB using the Stock Messaging system. It gets reduced to 579KB using Handcent. That's a 97% reduction with the stock messaging app versus a 54% reduction using a 3rd party app.

Regardless if a 3rd party app is preferred, the Stock Messaging system still needs to be fixed because not everyone wants to use a 3rd party app.

It's probably just sprint trying to save bandwidth, one text message at a time...

They can force htc to hobble the stock messaging app, but can't do anything for 3rd party ones.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

What I REALLY want to know is who was asleep at the switch so we didn't know about this coming in order to rack up another couple thousand posts!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1