Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By parout66
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moving from EVO LTE 4G to SIII

My fourth trip to the Sprint repair center with my phone. The phone will not stay connected to the network. Very frustrating. Sprint admitted it was a known issue. They asked me if I wanted to swap out for a SIII. I said yes and it will be arriving tomorrow. This was my 2nd EVO and really like the quality of the HTC builds, but something in this phone is not right. Thus I have no other choice to move to the SIII. My wife has one and it seems to be a really solid phone. Hope everyone on this forum has better luck then I did with the EVO.
    So Cold likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Moving from EVO LTE 4G to SIII

Sorry to see you go. I had the same issues, and I ended up having to reset the phone. Not a hard-reset, but a full blown reset, through some ## menus. Similar to what they do after they refurb a phone. Sadly, I had to figure it out on my own, as tech support was no help (they actually made it worse) and the people in the store near me couldn't have been more rude and incompetent. Enjoy your new S3, but I too prefer the HTC build, so I'm sticking with it.

Quote Originally Posted by parout66 View Post
    My fourth trip to the Sprint repair center with my phone. The phone will not stay connected to the network. Very frustrating. Sprint admitted it was a known issue. They asked me if I wanted to swap out for a SIII. I said yes and it will be arriving tomorrow. This was my 2nd EVO and really like the quality of the HTC builds, but something in this phone is not right. Thus I have no other choice to move to the SIII. My wife has one and it seems to be a really solid phone. Hope everyone on this forum has better luck then I did with the EVO.
    I've never heard of this issue till now...Sprint reps say alot of stupid things, in all likeliness its a network issue or a bad phone.The S3 is not a bad phone at all except for the garbage screen so you should have a good experience with the phone.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyEvoAce View Post
    I've never heard of this issue till now...Sprint reps say alot of stupid things, in all likeliness its a network issue or a bad phone.The S3 is not a bad phone at all except for the garbage screen so you should have a good experience with the phone.
    It's not the phone. I don't know if it's a software issue with the device or a software issue with the network, but it does happen. And it is a known issue. A rep in the new repair center near me has the same phone and was having a very similar problem when I took mine in. His wife was also having issues like that as well, but she had the S3, which leads me to believe it's more of an issue on the Sprint-side of things.

Here's one of the threads on this:

Won't connect to Sprint's network-getting new phone.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

Did they Charge you $100 deductible?

Quote Originally Posted by dagold View Post
    Did they Charge you $100 deductible?
    Doubt it. This was through Sprint, not Asurion.

I'm envious of the OP. I wish I would have gone with the S3 or Nexus.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

For what I spend with them a month, I dare them to charge me a wooden nickel!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
    It's not the phone. I don't know if it's a software issue with the device or a software issue with the network, but it does happen. And it is a known issue. A rep in the new repair center near me has the same phone and was having a very similar problem when I took mine in. His wife was also having issues like that as well, but she had the S3, which leads me to believe it's more of an issue on the Sprint-side of things.

Here's one of the threads on this:

Won't connect to Sprint's network-getting new phone.
    From my understanding from speaking with the people online and at the store, yes this is a known issue. Like a stated, I like HTC but I can't have it disconnecting all the time. Resets don't always fix it. It's hard to tell if it is sprint, HTC software, or HTC hardware. In the end Sprint is doing the right thing by replacing my phone.

I saw a few threads complaining about the s3's connectivity lol. I believe it is the network. Sprint was working on the network in my area about 3 months ago and for 3 weeks I had all sorts of connection problems. When they were done so wasn't my problems.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE
    love my evo.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Dang Zmann, don't tell me that! Actually I believe it is my phone and I can't put up with it. It has happened traveling in other cities when on business. However, out network has sucked for about 4 to 5 months now for they have been upgrading the Nashville network and are about to turn on LTE in December (rumor). In actuality I have two SIII's in the house, two EVO 4G LTE's, and 1 Viper. My phone is the only one having connection issues.

I think my phone has just about every known issue we've stacked up lately and for the past week or so the network connectivity has really declined.

Maybe I should start returning it and pushing for a galaxy note.... I was hoping to hold out until the note 3 came out....

Do you know if they give you a different model phone does it reset your upgrade eligibility?

Global Posts
    661 Global Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM

Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post
    I think my phone has just about every known issue we've stacked up lately and for the past week or so the network connectivity has really declined.

Maybe I should start returning it and pushing for a galaxy note.... I was hoping to hold out until the note 3 came out....

Do you know if they give you a different model phone does it reset your upgrade eligibility?
    I used to be a WebOS user and couldn't get a single piece of hardware to work for me. I went from the Pre to the Pixi to the HTC Hero to the Pixi again without renewing my contract. Just make sure they don't renew the contract. If you're having issues they should replace it. In all fairness, I never went a month without having to get my Palm phones fixed until I put the Pre 2 onto Sprint.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

A Sprint-swapped phone has no effect on you upgrade eligibility, nor does it extend your contract. Even if they give you a brand new device.
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post

Thanked by:

Same issue for me.
    Had a long time EVO LTE with a headset jack problem. Corporate store did an Advanced Exchange and charged me $35. That was on a Saturday. The following Wedensday the replacement EVO LTE had no signal what so ever. -120db with 0 ASU.. then would show -3 ASU which is imposbile since it goes from 0 to 20. LOL After an hour in the store and numerous hard resets and ## resets they offered me a white refurb. I said NOPE.. 10 minutes later i got a new in the box black one.. that made me happy.
    So yeah theres a definite bug in the HTC hardware / software or a bug with HTC hardware / software and Sprints network.
    the GS3 is a great phone.. I have one as well, but i went to my EVO LTE after the 4.1.1 update. Battery life issues big time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
    A Sprint-swapped phone has no effect on you upgrade eligibility, nor does it extend your contract. Even if they give you a brand new device.
    Thanks, I have a warranty through best buy where I bought the phone so I'll probably hit them up soon

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

my contract is up in Feb, i'm thinking of taking my 2 lines to Big Red and getting 2 HTC DNA's I was hoping the LTE rollout on Sprint was going to be quicker but i'm in Ct and not getting LTE anytime soon, only $20.00 per month more with Verizon to have way better coverage and LTE already here

- - - Updated - - -

my contract is up in Feb, i'm thinking of taking my 2 lines to Big Red and getting 2 HTC DNA's I was hoping the LTE rollout on Sprint was going to be quicker but i'm in Ct and not getting LTE anytime soon, only $20.00 per month more with Verizon to have way better coverage and LTE already here