1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4G question on Sprint network.....confused....????

Please excuse my 4g ignorance but I ran across a strange 4g issue over the holiday. My family and I traveled over the holiday to several east coast cities on our way to a cruise out of Miami. I own an EVO 4G LTE phone and my wife sports the iPhone5, both on the Sprint network.

While driving through Maryland my wife announced that her iPhone lit up with an LTE icon in the connection area while approaching Baltimore. I then grabbed my EVO to also witness the first time my 4G phone was connected to a 4G connection. Not the case, my EVO stayed with a 3G signal even after several reboots and turning the connection on and off. Very disappointed to say the least.

After the cruise we stayed over 1 night in Ft Lauderdale at the Hilton near the airport. Sitting at the desk in our room I noticed that the 3G connection on my phone was now displaying a 4G connection. Very surprised. A speed test offered a huge let down as the upload and download speeds were barely 1.5 meg. But even stranger was my wifes iPhone would not get an LTE connection and remained with the 3G connection.

Anyone have a clue what happened ?????? I'm tempted to call the Sprint support number and grill them on what happened. I'm still very upset with them because I owned an EVO 3D prior to the the EVO 4G LTE and it constantly had a great 4G signal. They neglected to tell me that the LTE service was non-existent when I got this phone and because I am on WIFI most of the time I did not realize the phone wasn't getting a 4G connection until it was too late to take it back.

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: 4G question on Sprint network.....confused....????

Its funny that I read your post I work at that hilton
    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

I'm in Atlanta (Georgia Tech), and I rarely get a 4G signal. When I do get a signal, I get download speeds of 1.75 MB. I talked to sprint care on Twitter, and I didn't get anything from them. 4G question on Sprint network.....confused....????-uploadfromtaptalk1354204110664.jpg

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Wow, what do you do there? I was just there on this past Sunday into Monday.

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

I'm a student. Third year business major.

I also got the 4G icon recently while walking around in Hato Rey in PR. I performed a Speed Test and it wouldn't connect to any server to perform the test. My guess is that it's possible to get an LTE connection to a tower but that doesn't mean the tower is connected to the net or has much bandwidth available, just like connecting to a crappy WiFi network (such as the one shared by a Sprint 3G hotspot ).

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I've connected to several sites here in Jacksonville Florida and I've seen speeds no less than 10Mbits. Lte is very signal strength dependent. The bar on the top of your phone only shows your 1x voice signal and not your lte signal. It's possible you guys are connecting to lte sites that is further away from the 1x site that you ate connected to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cmorris8848 View Post
    I'm a student. Third year business major.
    "He's a ramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of a...businessman?"

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

I was Mechanical Engineering before this semester, but it has taken me two years to figure out that it wasn't for me sadly. At least I was a helluva engineer! Now I'll be the boss of the engineers