Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Andras
  • 1 Post By Mikey47
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Who knew the Evo LTE had a microphone on the top of the phone and didn't tell me?

Am I just late to the party, have had this phone for 6 months now and rooted since day 1 and now running cm10, or am I an *****. And yes I called my self an ***** first so lay of the jokes
    I was having the hardest time getting Google Now voice recognition to work and for the life of me couldn't figure it out. When I tried using it I would always bring the bottom of the phone to my mouth and speak. What I saw was a faint grey circle pulsing from the mic. What I found strange was that the airplanes flying over were picked up better than my voice. I searched everything in the settings and doing web searches on the topic and the only things I found was that Google now voice recognition didn't work for the Evo LTE. I gave up until one day I noticed a small hole on top and thought nothing of it until tonight. I wanted to give it one more go and instead of bring the bottom up I pulled the top toward my mouth and spoke and within a second I got a response back, I was so excited, yay me. OK I'm done and may be way late but I couldn't find a solution any where so I thought I would post this to share if anyone else is interested.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Who knew the Evo LTE had a microphone on the top of the phone and didn't tell me?

better late than never right? I am always finding crap out about my phone that seems like it should be obvious so your not the only ***** around here

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Default Re: Who knew the Evo LTE had a microphone on the top of the phone and didn't tell me?

wow. Never noticed that little hole on the top till now. I guess it don't do me any good, as my case covers it up. I could go au naturel but its kinda of chilly.
    If the women don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy.

Global Posts
    404 Global Posts

I remember reading somewhere that the phone has two microphones to help with noise cancellation...

Yea. One is a noise cancellation mic. High end phones tend to have that dual mic setup for noise cancellation. Sometimes the wrong mic does the noise cancellation; that's when the person on the other end of the call can hear the background noise but not your voice. I had that problem with my Epic 4G but hasn't really happened with my EVO LTE to me yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Also the dual Mic setup allows video recording with stereo sound.
    ThatMatthew likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I love my phone even more now, thanks for the insight on the second mic.

Always saw it, but never thought to speak in to it. Thanks!

Wow thanks for pointing this out. I recently saw an Apple commercial in which they show the iPhone 5 as having a second Mic, in the back oh phone, for noise cancellation purposes and wondered to myself if my Evo LTE did! Man I wish HTC would advertise every feature as Apple does. But I guess they're not as desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestah_613 View Post
    Wow thanks for pointing this out. I recently saw an Apple commercial in which they show the iPhone 5 as having a second Mic, in the back oh phone, for noise cancellation purposes and wondered to myself if my Evo LTE did! Man I wish HTC would advertise every feature as Apple does. But I guess they're not as desperate.
    I don't want to take this thread off topic but that is the exact reason why everyone thinks everyone is copying apple. Many other phones have had noise canceling mics yet apple is the first one to mention it in a commercial.

Honestly though I blame consumers. When I buy a phone, I find everything I can about all the features and specs. With devices being so expensive in can't believe others don't do the same.
    holyjoe722 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I don't want to take this thread off topic but that is the exact reason why everyone thinks everyone is copying apple. Many other phones have had noise canceling mics yet apple is the first one to mention it in a commercial.

Honestly though I blame consumers. When I buy a phone, I find everything I can about all the features and specs. With devices being so expensive in can't believe others don't do the same.
    True that. I helped someone realize that their Evo LTE had a panorama function in their camera since the very first day it came out in May. He was looking for an APP that would give him "That panorama feature like in Iphone5".

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Yeah, but apple has it in their commercial because they "invented" it. That means they must have been the first to have it on a device.

:sarcasm:
    WHO DAT?!?!?!
    THIS IS NEW ORLEANS!!!!! - DREW BREES

ROM
    Sprint Stock

Quote Originally Posted by boo5ted View Post
    Yeah, but apple has it in their commercial because they "invented" it. That means they must have been the first to have it on a device.

Was just about to mention that they have a commercial out about that. But what's funny is, it doesn't support HD Voice like the EVO does. Not like it matters because I don't think it's even available yet.

:sarcasm: