Issues getting Dropbox photos to appear in Gallery App?

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
So I use the dropbox app itself with no issues, for uploading or downloading purposes. But I'm having issues when trying to view dropbox photos/folders in the gallery app. When I open gallery, i choose Dropbox from the top left "albums" selection. Each time I do, it initiates the whole "HTC Sense wants access to your Dropbox" with "cancel" and "allow" options. I always choose allow. I'm not sure why it prompts me to choose each time. But the bigger issue is that after I select "allow", I get the message that "the user has no albums to display." I can view dropbox photos through the Astro file manager app, but it's not as simple as using the gallery. Anyone else having the same issue with Dropbox and the stock gallery app? Thanks.

Scott

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Just use the dropbax app on the phone to view them instead of gallery. Hope this helps. Bob

That works, but isn't as functional. In the app itself you only see filenames and have to open them to see what they are, as opposed to seeing image previews/screen caps within the gallery app. Not the biggest issue, but it's annoying that it's not working the way it's supposed to for me.

deadeye99

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
My dropbox app shows thumbnails in the folders. Along with dates and size. My gallery only asked the first time for permission. Didn't know I could do that link. Thank you. Bob

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
On my EVOLTE the Dropbox app shows small thumbnails. I just tried the gallery link on my HTC tablet and the link to Dropbox isn't there so it might be a device limitation.

Sent from my HTC EVOLTE using Tapatalk.

icvos

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Same problem no resolution yet.
so i use the dropbox app itself with no issues, for uploading or downloading purposes. But i'm having issues when trying to view dropbox photos/folders in the gallery app. When i open gallery, i choose dropbox from the top left "albums" selection. Each time i do, it initiates the whole "htc sense wants access to your dropbox" with "cancel" and "allow" options. I always choose allow. I'm not sure why it prompts me to choose each time. But the bigger issue is that after i select "allow", i get the message that "the user has no albums to display." i can view dropbox photos through the astro file manager app, but it's not as simple as using the gallery. Anyone else having the same issue with dropbox and the stock gallery app? Thanks.

Scott

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I always see the Dropbox when I go to my gallery but never tried to open it, just did and all my pictures are there and I'm able to view them not sure why your having issues but thanks for the tip!

Yourconnexx

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
to get your drop box folders to show up in your gallery you have to go to settings>accounts>dropbox and click "sync now" to sync drop box to your phone. this is different than just going to your apps and clicking on the drop box icon. your phone and drop box account are LINKED because basically they are both logged in to your online dropbrox ACCOUNT. but when you actually SYNC your phone to drop box you can see whats going on in each account in real time, see changes in real time etc. so if you take a picture while synced, it will appear of course in your normal gallery folder and then as soon as its uploaded to drop box you will see it in the dropbox sync folder too. the drop box sync folder in your gallery will have the drop box logo in the lower left corner. the pay off comes when you have things in your drop box that have been added from locations other than your phone. if you have a pic or video on your Pc or laptop AND have the drop box app on your pc or lap top, you can drag/drop or copy paste into the PC/laptop dropbox folder and then access it from your gallery in your phone. or you could be at a friends house and log onto your online dropbox and upload pics over the internet, the content will show in your gallery on mobile :O) so with sync you get that immediate access thru other programs or apps instead of having to go to the dropbox mobile app each time.

i found this out because i had some thumbnails and icons in my drop box gallery sync folder from hell that just WOULD NOT GO AWAY. when i cleared out my dropbox on my pc, it also cleared out my online storage (which is what i wanted because i ran out of space online, i just use drop box as insurance because i hate losing photos and videos. i always save my stuff on MY HARDWARE.). so once i had my drop box emptied, the sync folder should have been emptied too but it wasnt. i went into my android file browser and deleted the thumbnails etc but the emptied photos were STILL in the sync folder. i checked my mobile app, i logged in online, and i checked my desktop app and all 3 clearly said i had no photos in any of them. i could not find out where these thumbnails were coming from.
i literally had to go to settings> application manager in my SG4 and clear the data and cache from the drop box mobile app AND uninstall the mobile app from my phone and start over after restarting the entire phone SMH. when i did this, i had to restore all my settings. so i literally had to "turn on uploads", "turn on upload over wifi and mobile data", set up passcode and the whole 9, i literally started from scratch. when i thought i was done, i noticed the drop box folder wasnt in my SG4 gallery anymore. i was about to get mad at drop box because i shouldnt have had to do any of that anyway. i went to "settings>what to display" in my SG4 gallery and the drop box checkbox was greyed out as not being an option. the drop box app didnt have a setting for displaying a folder on mobile at all, so by chance i went to "settings>accounts" and then clicked on drop box. it had an option to "sync now" so i clicked it and my drop box folder was back in my gallery and up to date. for now, all 4 links (mobile, sync, online, and PC) have the exact same contents.

looking in hind sight, i may have been able to just toggle the "sync now" button in "settings>accounts>dropbox" . but i just wanted to post this because im sure someone else will find this info helpful. and if the quick way doesnt work, you still have the long way that worked for me.

hkj324

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I never even knew you could link Dropbox to the gallery. I just did it and it worked fine for me.

PLEASE tell me HOW you got the Gallery app to sync with Dropbox! I have a brand new Galaxy Note 4 and now my pix want to go to Gallery and NOT to Dropbox...BUT I CAN'T get them to sync. I prefer to use ONLY Dropbox.:eek:

themaestro023

May 10, 2017
Visit site
I have finally found a solution after searching the web and coming up empty. I have the Galaxy S7 edge and needed a couple of pics in my gallery from Dropbox. It may seem a bit complicated but with a bit of practice becomes easier to do.

First open Dropbox on your pc and find the pics you want to move. Copy and paste these pics to your desktop. (Don't just move them or they'll only be on your desktop and not in Dropbox anymore.) Next, connect your phone via USB to your pc, click to allow your pc to talk to your phone, (a little pop up window on your phone). Open the files on your phone and find where your pics are stored (device or sd card) and the folder is usually called DCIM. Then select all the pics on your desktop and drag and drop them to the folder in your phone. Disconnect the USB from your pc and you're finished.

When you open the gallery app (or wherever you stored the pics) all those Dropbox pics will be there.