Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Default Re: Camera sounds now ALWAYS ON

Thanks blorgon!

Camera shutter goodbyeeeeeeee

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera sounds now ALWAYS ON-uploadfromtaptalk1355618231303.jpg  
    "Paint to live. Live to paint."
    pteezay likes this.

Someone check build.prop ro.forcedshuttersound = 1 , change to 0. Works on ICS Sprint devices.

Quote Originally Posted by n0ve View Post
    Someone check build.prop ro.forcedshuttersound = 1 , change to 0. Works on ICS Sprint devices.
    Unfortunately no root yet, so that won't work yet.

Here's another solution I found: download a different camera app. There are some apps that advertise no shutter sound (just search "silent camera shutter" in Google Play). I've just tried a few free ones. Two apps both called "Silent Camera" do take pictures with no shutter sounds, as does "Camera ICS" (you have to turn on silent mode in the settings). "Camera ICS" seems to have the most features of the three, and it has a pay version that removes ads. I'm not sure about features like burst mode, like secretmethod70 uses, though I found "Camera ZOOM FX" which advertises burst mode. I haven't tried it because it's pay, though it's currently on sale for $1.49. It also says about its silent mode: "only if your device supports it," but "Camera ICS" said the same thing about its silent mode, so it seems promising.

UPDATE: "Camera ZOOM FX" silent mode doesn't work. It offers the workarounds of either root your phone, or use burst mode, which gives lower resolution pics. I'm assuming that the burst mode just uses the video camera, so that's why it will be silent.

UPDATE 2: I just bought "Camera ICS+" ($0.99) and can confirm the silent mode works, just like the free version. Ads are removed and a few extra features are added, like burst mode and time lapse. One thing I don't like is that it doesn't display full screen. The bottom 1/4 of the screen is taken up by the shutter button section. Also, the photos at 8 MP are not 16:9, like in the stock camera. You have to change the resolution to 6 MP to get 16:9 pictures. I suppose this might be more accurate in terms of the actual pixel resolution, bu the stock camera at least lets you chose the aspect ratio independent of the resolution. Also, if you choose 6 MP (or other 16:9 resolutions), it adds black bars to the upper 3/4 part of the screen, so your view of what you're taking a picture of seems even smaller. I wish it had a full screen view for taking pictures, but otherwise it seems like one of the better options for silent picture taking.
    Last edited by blorgon; 12-16-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blorgon View Post
    Here's another solution I found: download a different camera app. There are some apps that advertise no shutter sound (just search "silent camera shutter" in Google Play). I've just tried a few free ones. Two apps both called "Silent Camera" do take pictures with no shutter sounds, as does "Camera ICS" (you have to turn on silent mode in the settings). "Camera ICS" seems to have the most features of the three, and it has a pay version that removes ads. I'm not sure about features like burst mode, like secretmethod70 uses, though I found "Camera ZOOM FX" which advertises burst mode. I haven't tried it because it's pay, though it's currently on sale for $1.49. It also says about its silent mode: "only if your device supports it," but "Camera ICS" said the same thing about its silent mode, so it seems promising.

UPDATE: "Camera ZOOM FX" silent mode doesn't work. It offers the workarounds of either root your phone, or use burst mode, which gives lower resolution pics. I'm assuming that the burst mode just uses the video camera, so that's why it will be silent.

UPDATE 2: I just bought "Camera ICS+" ($0.99) and can confirm the silent mode works, just like the free version. Ads are removed and a few extra features are added, like burst mode and time lapse. One thing I don't like is that it doesn't display full screen. The bottom 1/4 of the screen is taken up by the shutter button section. Also, the photos at 8 MP are not 16:9, like in the stock camera. You have to change the resolution to 6 MP to get 16:9 pictures. I suppose this might be more accurate in terms of the actual pixel resolution, bu the stock camera at least lets you chose the aspect ratio independent of the resolution. Also, if you choose 6 MP (or other 16:9 resolutions), it adds black bars to the upper 3/4 part of the screen, so your view of what you're taking a picture of seems even smaller. I wish it had a full screen view for taking pictures, but otherwise it seems like one of the better options for silent picture taking.
    Camera jb+ is legit. Took pics of my nephew right now

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Add Camera360 to the list of working silent modes.

EDIT: Camera360 Ultimate and Camera360 1.5 both have working silent modes. Ultimate has a lot more features, both are free.
    Last edited by blorgon; 12-16-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Just received this in an email from HTC. Pretty lame:

Quote Originally Posted by LameAssHTCTechSuppprt View Post
    Mike; first of all thank you for being a part of the HTC Family. We will always work for you. Regarding the shutter of the camera, it was set as part of the update and cannot be modified. This feature was set this way following the laws protecting the privacy of the US Citizens. That is why it cannot be shut off.

Another trick is to use a Bluetooth headset with A2DP profile you wont hear it from the phone. I use a Bose series 2 blutooth headset with absorbs the sound.

Such bs. It is difficult to discreetly use a phone to take a pic. Visually too much is going on. If I were desperate to take secret pics I'm sure there's a much better camera for it.

So, I told the tech support guy that there is no law in the U. S. regarding cell phone cameras having to have a shutter noise and he said:

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAssHTCTechSupport View Post
    Mike; thank you very much for the feedback about the US laws not having anything to do with this. That is the information we had received, and why we explained part of the shutter issue to our customers. As stated on the previous email, by design it cannot be turned off.
    So even though they know it's not U.S. law, there is nothing they will do. HTC just imposing it on us because they can.
    Thanked by:
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Ha! " by design it cant be turned off " Jokes on him ...mines turned off....lol

Quote Originally Posted by blorgon View Post
    Add Camera360 to the list of working silent modes.

EDIT: Camera360 Ultimate and Camera360 1.5 both have working silent modes. Ultimate has a lot more features, both are free.
    I like camera 360 more than camera jb+

I think... Not sure... But I think you can photograph in public places. That whole privacy thing gets misinterpreted a lot. That is the golden rule of photography... Public places... Don't know if it encompasses all photographic devices including phones. Might be something interesting to research.

"Paint to live. Live to paint."

Quote Originally Posted by benny3 View Post
    Ha! " by design it cant be turned off " Jokes on him ...mines turned off....lol
    How? Using the headphone trick?

Would there be a way to have Tasker initiate the headphone jack when the camera was open?

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

A way around it albeit a tedious one is to record a video and snap the photo during the video being recorded.

Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    How? Using the headphone trick?
    No by rooting and freeing it from all the BS

Is there a way to map a 3rd party camera app (such as Camera 360) to the camera button?
    Dallas, TX
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE
    (Sprint: HTC PPC6700 HTC PPC6800 HTC TP2 BB Torch 9850)
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    A way around it albeit a tedious one is to record a video and snap the photo during the video being recorded.

That makes noise too when it starts recording... it's a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by DAL_MOBILE View Post
    Is there a way to map a 3rd party camera app (such as Camera 360) to the camera button?
    Root probably for that. It's faster to just hit the program you want to load up

Flashed a mod to get rid of it. While I was at it, flashed another mod that got rid of the ed recent apps interface HTC ruined.

So let me get this right...there's a law that u have to have a shutter sound on your camera or phone for the privacy of other people? OK so if u have a camera and a telephoto lens and zoom up right on someone bending over to take pics of them then that's OK? Point being if anyone is in public I have a right to take pictures of whatever the hell I want..if I want to take pics of people or places I have the right and having my camera set to silent should not be a problem...I'm tired of the government and companies trying to get more and more strict on controlling what we do in a free country. Truth is there is no damn freedom...if someone wants to take pics of me in public then go home and get there rocks off then I take it as a compliment.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Topgonzo, there is no such law in the U.S. Some wacko representative tried in 2009, but it was never passed (don't know if it was even brought to a vote).

I believe this on is squarely on Sprint's shoulders. Sprint's GSIII is the only GSIII that has this "feature" the too.

I too am sick of this, this goes beyond the bloatware type of stuff. The camera is so awesome yet I can't use it to take pictures of my kids at concerts at school because people start giving you dirty looks. Two nights ago a guy actually told me afterwards that I should turn that sound off, I told him to talk to Sprint.

There's plenty of reasons to hate it. Once my kid starts hearing the click she either runs away covering her face, or runs up within inches of my phone yelling "cheeeese"

Neither makes for good pictures after that.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12