Camera sounds now ALWAYS ON

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
There is a line in your build. prop forced shutter sound.... just change the value to zero.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
So far the only workaround I've found is plugging in your headphones. Not as practical as I'd like but it works.... At least.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

blorgon

May 25, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want the hassle of your headphone cable dangling, you can plug in an adapter by itself, or cut the cord of an old, cheap pair of headphones. Again, it's not ideal, but if you use your phone to take a lot of pictures and don't want the sounds on, it would be slightly more useful than having your headphones plugged in. You can probably cut down the plug from some headphones to make it pretty small so it's not sticking out very far.

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
If you don't want the hassle of your headphone cable dangling, you can plug in an adapter by itself, or cut the cord of an old, cheap pair of headphones. Again, it's not ideal, but if you use your phone to take a lot of pictures and don't want the sounds on, it would be slightly more useful than having your headphones plugged in. You can probably cut down the plug from some headphones to make it pretty small so it's not sticking out very far.

Someone just told me that. Good thinking +1 ;-)

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks blorgon! :D

Camera shutter goodbyeeeeeeee

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355618231303.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355618231303.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 42

blorgon

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Here's another solution I found: download a different camera app. There are some apps that advertise no shutter sound (just search "silent camera shutter" in Google Play). I've just tried a few free ones. Two apps both called "Silent Camera" do take pictures with no shutter sounds, as does "Camera ICS" (you have to turn on silent mode in the settings). "Camera ICS" seems to have the most features of the three, and it has a pay version that removes ads. I'm not sure about features like burst mode, like secretmethod70 uses, though I found "Camera ZOOM FX" which advertises burst mode. I haven't tried it because it's pay, though it's currently on sale for $1.49. It also says about its silent mode: "only if your device supports it," but "Camera ICS" said the same thing about its silent mode, so it seems promising.

UPDATE: "Camera ZOOM FX" silent mode doesn't work. It offers the workarounds of either root your phone, or use burst mode, which gives lower resolution pics. I'm assuming that the burst mode just uses the video camera, so that's why it will be silent.

UPDATE 2: I just bought "Camera ICS+" ($0.99) and can confirm the silent mode works, just like the free version. Ads are removed and a few extra features are added, like burst mode and time lapse. One thing I don't like is that it doesn't display full screen. The bottom 1/4 of the screen is taken up by the shutter button section. Also, the photos at 8 MP are not 16:9, like in the stock camera. You have to change the resolution to 6 MP to get 16:9 pictures. I suppose this might be more accurate in terms of the actual pixel resolution, bu the stock camera at least lets you chose the aspect ratio independent of the resolution. Also, if you choose 6 MP (or other 16:9 resolutions), it adds black bars to the upper 3/4 part of the screen, so your view of what you're taking a picture of seems even smaller. I wish it had a full screen view for taking pictures, but otherwise it seems like one of the better options for silent picture taking.

Last edited:

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's another solution I found: download a different camera app. There are some apps that advertise no shutter sound (just search "silent camera shutter" in Google Play). I've just tried a few free ones. Two apps both called "Silent Camera" do take pictures with no shutter sounds, as does "Camera ICS" (you have to turn on silent mode in the settings). "Camera ICS" seems to have the most features of the three, and it has a pay version that removes ads. I'm not sure about features like burst mode, like secretmethod70 uses, though I found "Camera ZOOM FX" which advertises burst mode. I haven't tried it because it's pay, though it's currently on sale for $1.49. It also says about its silent mode: "only if your device supports it," but "Camera ICS" said the same thing about its silent mode, so it seems promising.

UPDATE: "Camera ZOOM FX" silent mode doesn't work. It offers the workarounds of either root your phone, or use burst mode, which gives lower resolution pics. I'm assuming that the burst mode just uses the video camera, so that's why it will be silent.

UPDATE 2: I just bought "Camera ICS+" ($0.99) and can confirm the silent mode works, just like the free version. Ads are removed and a few extra features are added, like burst mode and time lapse. One thing I don't like is that it doesn't display full screen. The bottom 1/4 of the screen is taken up by the shutter button section. Also, the photos at 8 MP are not 16:9, like in the stock camera. You have to change the resolution to 6 MP to get 16:9 pictures. I suppose this might be more accurate in terms of the actual pixel resolution, bu the stock camera at least lets you chose the aspect ratio independent of the resolution. Also, if you choose 6 MP (or other 16:9 resolutions), it adds black bars to the upper 3/4 part of the screen, so your view of what you're taking a picture of seems even smaller. I wish it had a full screen view for taking pictures, but otherwise it seems like one of the better options for silent picture taking.

Camera jb+ is legit. Took pics of my nephew right now

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

blorgon

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Add Camera360 to the list of working silent modes.

EDIT: Camera360 Ultimate and Camera360 1.5 both have working silent modes. Ultimate has a lot more features, both are free.

Last edited:

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just received this in an email from HTC. Pretty lame:

Mike; first of all thank you for being a part of the HTC Family. We will always work for you. Regarding the shutter of the camera, it was set as part of the update and cannot be modified. This feature was set this way following the laws protecting the privacy of the US Citizens. That is why it cannot be shut off.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Another trick is to use a Bluetooth headset with A2DP profile you wont hear it from the phone. I use a Bose series 2 blutooth headset with absorbs the sound.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Such bs. It is difficult to discreetly use a phone to take a pic. Visually too much is going on. If I were desperate to take secret pics I'm sure there's a much better camera for it.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So, I told the tech support guy that there is no law in the U. S. regarding cell phone cameras having to have a shutter noise and he said:

Mike; thank you very much for the feedback about the US laws not having anything to do with this. That is the information we had received, and why we explained part of the shutter issue to our customers. As stated on the previous email, by design it cannot be turned off.

So even though they know it's not U.S. law, there is nothing they will do. HTC just imposing it on us because they can.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Add Camera360 to the list of working silent modes.

EDIT: Camera360 Ultimate and Camera360 1.5 both have working silent modes. Ultimate has a lot more features, both are free.

I like camera 360 more than camera jb+

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I think... Not sure... But I think you can photograph in public places. That whole privacy thing gets misinterpreted a lot. That is the golden rule of photography... Public places... Don't know if it encompasses all photographic devices including phones. Might be something interesting to research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol