Foxfi doesn't work with jelly bean :(

chingwodapigu

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Which version of foxfi are you trying to run? I haven't downloaded the update because I need the wifi hotspot. I'm still on 1.91.3. Current 30 minute limited free version is 1.95.4

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, it was not a secret or surprise that it was not going to work. It has been in the threads for a while that the FoxFi site had the Evo LTE with 4.1 listed as not working.

So..... Any other non-root alternatives? Anyone with insight if they are trying a workaround?

From what I can see, no other non-root app could do what FoxFi did. They all require proprietary "software" to install on the target device, meaning it will not work with all tablets/devices, and many offer no Linux support.

Last edited:

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
But Open Garden does work. I have it on my Win 7 Lenovo laptop and my wife's Nexus 7, and download speeds by speedtest are 0.8 mbps. I only have 3G here in central Virginia. But this is viable. Unfortunately, there is no app for my HP Touchpad.
But Open Garden would be fine with 4G or in a pinch. No issues and it's free.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
But Open Garden does work. I have it on my Win 7 Lenovo laptop and my wife's Nexus 7, and download speeds by speedtest are 0.8 mbps. I only have 3G here in central Virginia. But this is viable. Unfortunately, there is no app for my HP Touchpad.
But Open Garden would be fine with 4G or in a pinch. No issues and it's free.

Unfortunately, that is not viable for everyone. I will repeat what I wrote previously...

"From what I can see, no other non-root app could do what FoxFi did. They all require proprietary "software" to install on the target device, meaning it will not work with all tablets/devices, and many offer no Linux support."

With Open Garden, it is even worse:

* No Linux support. No ipad/iphone/itouch support.
* Pairs whether you want it to or not, as long as bluetooth is on.
* They are trying to be more than a hotspot, they are running "services" all the time, including GPS.
* These services drain the batteries in all devices.
* It also seems to be geared to want to "share" your bandwidth with other people, which might not be what you want. There are NO access controls.
* And because it doesn't look like a network connection to client programs (especially on tablets), many apps will refuse to work at all, like Google Voice Search, Play Store, and many, many others.
* One comment from their team seems to indicate it also sends back all kinds of info and/or depends on their "opengarden" servers on the Internet (connected through Amazon EC2).

Last edited:

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There are 2 Open Garden apps, did you try the mesh one? No root needed.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Are you addressing me or someone else?

If me, did you not see all the stuff I just listed in my last posting?

If you took the update you're SOL.

I talked to the developers of FoxFi and they say they are trying to work out a solution but tethering will not work as it did pre-JB since I guess there is some major restriction there.

If you want to have free tethering stop being lazy and just root... if you accepted the update you're probably SOL with the current methods to root.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you took the update you're SOL.

I talked to the developers of FoxFi and they say they are trying to work out a solution but tethering will not work as it did pre-JB since I guess there is some major restriction there.

If you want to have free tethering stop being lazy and just root... if you accepted the update you're probably SOL with the current methods to root.

I am not complaining about the update or FoxFi. It would be nice to have FoxFi working again, but I KNEW it would stop working after the update. I also knew that updating the OS would mean no current root method (if not already rooted).

About rooting: I am not lazy, there are several valid reasons for not wanting to root. You probably already know what they are (including some apps that will no longer work due to DRM)... I do too. I suspect there will be another root method eventually, and I might actually take advantage of it, too :)

wildcat4lyfe

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that after I upgraded Foxfi to the newer version it automatically starts Sprint HotSpot. I'll back away from that app until they fix that. Not looking to pay $20/month for 3G speeds.

rjsuperstar

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
It works for gingerbread but i have tmoblie but my problem is that i can get on the internet with no problem but i can't look at youtube videos anyone had or having this problem any suggestions?

bproud81

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Works just fine after I updated my verizon Samsung galaxy s3 ,the only thing that is different is that the wifi logo appears at the top of my screen. When I click on it, it just asks me to setup or register my wifi. I ignored it and it still works

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Works just fine after I updated my verizon Samsung galaxy s3

I don't think Verizon cares anymore about tethering, since all their new plans are restricted data and any tethering counts against it. They probably left everything unlocked.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
OH yes it does run on Jelly bean. I just got mine working. Using it now. I have a Galaxy S2. You need the Foxfi Full version Key 1.02 apk

That doesn't mean it will work on the Evo LTE, however (and it won't, unless something has recently changed; and it is still listed on their site as unsupported).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech