Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: Proximity sensor problem during phone call back on Jellybean update

I forget exactly what you have to do to test the proximity sensor. I know it is ## something. Any help?

Nevermind, it is *#*#DIAG#*#*
    Last edited by NastyNeil; 12-14-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNeil View Post
    Nevermind, it is *#*#DIAD#*#*
    Actually it's *#*#DIAG#*#* (probably just silly autocorrect on your keyboard).

Lol, damn autocorrect

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I now have this problem after the update and it is awful. Phone is also heating up and draining battery at times now. Before the update I had horrible contact lag and paused dialing issues. My og evo was solid but this has been the biggest pos. I hate this phone. I am so over the non stop issues. Going to have to get a phone that works. This one is going on Craigslist.

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geezerb View Post
    My solution: push the top on button & the screen magically appears.
    Your welcome.
    Love it when my smartphone gets dumber.
    Sent from my blah-blah-blah using blah-blah-blah.

This is a major issue. If I navigate away from the call screen while on a call, when I try to unlock the screen it immediately turns off. I can't do anything except a hard reboot. Can't end the call, touch a button, nada.

Quote Originally Posted by nightdesigns View Post
    This is a major issue. If I navigate away from the call screen while on a call, when I try to unlock the screen it immediately turns off. I can't do anything except a hard reboot. Can't end the call, touch a button, nada.
    I just tried this, I was on a call and hit the home key, my notification turned green and I talked some more as I opened my calendar, when I closed the calender, I pulled down the notification and press the phone call and it went back to the dialer, just as it should!

SENT FROM MY JELLYBEAN EATING EVO!

Quote Originally Posted by Cattails_r_Edible View Post
    I just tried this, I was on a call and hit the home key, my notification turned green and I talked some more as I opened my calendar, when I closed the calender, I pulled down the notification and press the phone call and it went back to the dialer, just as it should!

SENT FROM MY JELLYBEAN EATING EVO!
    Lucky you. It sucks having this issue again, especially since the phone launched with the issue and it was later fixed. Hopefully it won't take long to fix it again.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

After factory reset, Proximity sensor is still buggy but working ONLY if in a bright enough area/room. The sensor on JB update is set to not work well in low light settings. A simple fix HTC can release hopefully quick. Very annoying.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yea if it is low light it won't come back until you face the phone towards a brighter light.

So don't use your phone in the dark. lol

After first doing the JB update, I had no problems at all with the phone. Then, today I started having the proximity sensor issue. I kept thinking over and over if I had changed any settings that could be causing this. Then I remembered something: Late last night I switched from using my very thin & simple case to a more heavy duty case that has a cut out for the sensor. So, I made a call with the heavy duty case on and the issue with the sensor was still there (I don't use a screen protector). Then, without hanging up the call, I took that case off and the sensor now works! I have repeated this several times now. Heavy duty case with a sensor cut out on the phone, proximity sensor doesn't work. Simple case that doesn't need a cut out (or no case at all) and it works fine. Now I don't know if this is just my phone, but for those having the proximity sensor issues might I suggest you try it with and without a case or screen protector to see if this fixes the problem.

Naw my phone is naked

Thanks but it's long been known that this is an issue independent of any screen protectors or cases. It's a hardware issue that very likely requires software correction to make it palatable.

What's amazing is how simple the coding fix probably actually is in practice. Hypothetically, considering that this issue only exists in low light, it's probably something as easy as restricting screen state changes to instances where a certain gyro/accelerometer measurement coincides with the luminosity measurement change. That is, making sure that you are using some sort of two-factor verification that the phone is actually being moved away from the ear as opposed to simply relying on what now has proven to be a seriously $#!Tty proximity sensor.

Regardless of the fix, what's truly stunning is that after many months of this problem obviously being reported, HTC still has yet to have definitively provided any sort of mitigation or workaround to those affected. It is yet another reason why this will absolutely be my final HTC device, sad as I am to say it. I do not see their company turning around anytime soon.

Just my $.02.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Screen goes black as soon as I press "CALL" or answer a call. It's a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by koam View Post
    Screen goes black as soon as I press "CALL" or answer a call. It's a mess.
    Yep same here.

But I am able to toggle it off and on with the lock button.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    From the world's most fabulous Crack-Droid!

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Same issue here. Got fixed in a previous update and now is back again... So frustrating...

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

Count me in as well with proximity sensor issues. I've hard booted my phone, did a factory reset, ran the P Sensor test and cleaned my phone screen and it still wont work.

Quote Originally Posted by JManekia View Post
    Count me in as well with proximity sensor issues. I've hard booted my phone, did a factory reset, ran the P Sensor test and cleaned my phone screen and it still wont work.
    Same thing here.

I've been in contact with HTC since the update regarding this and have done their first level steps to try to resolve the issue. Right now my ticket has been sent to their escalations department and I should receive a phone call from them in a couple days. I'll report back here after that and let you guys know the outcome.
    Thanked by 2:
    321contak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nightdesigns View Post
    I am having this exact same issue, it is soooo frustrating. Also the touchscreen is less responsive, I dont know what to do it happens on every call

Quote Originally Posted by Andras View Post
    Same thing here.

I've been in contact with HTC since the update regarding this and have done their first level steps to try to resolve the issue. Right now my ticket has been sent to their escalations department and I should receive a phone call from them in a couple days. I'll report back here after that and let you guys know the outcome.
    I did the same thing a day after the update. Hope they push out an update soon.

Sent from my EVO LTE
    Thanked by:
    321contak likes this.

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

something I ran into to day the sensor works when I'm in a lot of light... but in dim or dark areas it doesn't work

can someone else test their phones

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life

I'm having the same problem. It either goes black as soo. As I hit "Call" or it doesn't go black at all when I raise it to my face.

Just for the record: I'm a day 1 owner who never had this problem until after the JB update. Earlier in the year when others were dealing with the issue, I was one of the lucky few that weren't.

Sent from my EVO L(a)TE using Android Central Forums.
    Tony Anderson
    Jacksonville, FL
    @TonyLibations <---For the Twitterin'

Quote Originally Posted by TonyLibations View Post
    Just for the record: I'm a day 1 owner who never had this problem until after the JB update. Earlier in the year when others were dealing with the issue, I was one of the lucky few that weren't.

Sent from my EVO L(a)TE using Android Central Forums.
    This one seems to be a problem that everyone is having post JB. It's definitely broken.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast