Proximity sensor problem during phone call back on Jellybean update

Eclectech

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing that same issue. Also proximity sure doesn't work like it used to. Way to fix some problems while creating new ones, HTC.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing that same issue. Also proximity sure doesn't work like it used to. Way to fix some problems while creating new ones, HTC.

I'm surprised that they recreated an issue they already fixed. It's like as if some people got the old coding for the proximity sensor.

othersteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
It is so ridiculous that it's even possible for this to occur within a company so well-acquainted with software development.

FIX THIS PROBLEM HTC

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised that they recreated an issue they already fixed. It's like as if some people got the old coding for the proximity sensor.

Its called a regression and happens all the time in software development. They must just not have a test case that covers this (although) they should.

However, I would if the real root cause isn't hardware given that lots of people don't have that issue. The proximity sensor shouldn't be related to any other apps that you might have loaded.

dontspamtheman

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I now have this problem after the update and it is awful. Phone is also heating up and draining battery at times now. Before the update I had horrible contact lag and paused dialing issues. My og evo was solid but this has been the biggest pos. I hate this phone. I am so over the non stop issues. Going to have to get a phone that works. This one is going on Craigslist.

nightdesigns

May 28, 2012
Visit site
This is a major issue. If I navigate away from the call screen while on a call, when I try to unlock the screen it immediately turns off. I can't do anything except a hard reboot. Can't end the call, touch a button, nada.

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
This is a major issue. If I navigate away from the call screen while on a call, when I try to unlock the screen it immediately turns off. I can't do anything except a hard reboot. Can't end the call, touch a button, nada.

I just tried this, I was on a call and hit the home key, my notification turned green and I talked some more as I opened my calendar, when I closed the calender, I pulled down the notification and press the phone call and it went back to the dialer, just as it should!

SENT FROM MY JELLYBEAN EATING EVO!

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I just tried this, I was on a call and hit the home key, my notification turned green and I talked some more as I opened my calendar, when I closed the calender, I pulled down the notification and press the phone call and it went back to the dialer, just as it should!

SENT FROM MY JELLYBEAN EATING EVO!

Lucky you. It sucks having this issue again, especially since the phone launched with the issue and it was later fixed. Hopefully it won't take long to fix it again.

321contak

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
After factory reset, Proximity sensor is still buggy but working ONLY if in a bright enough area/room. The sensor on JB update is set to not work well in low light settings. A simple fix HTC can release hopefully quick. Very annoying.

mawilson82

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yea if it is low light it won't come back until you face the phone towards a brighter light.

So don't use your phone in the dark. lol

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
After first doing the JB update, I had no problems at all with the phone. Then, today I started having the proximity sensor issue. I kept thinking over and over if I had changed any settings that could be causing this. Then I remembered something: Late last night I switched from using my very thin & simple case to a more heavy duty case that has a cut out for the sensor. So, I made a call with the heavy duty case on and the issue with the sensor was still there (I don't use a screen protector). Then, without hanging up the call, I took that case off and the sensor now works! I have repeated this several times now. Heavy duty case with a sensor cut out on the phone, proximity sensor doesn't work. Simple case that doesn't need a cut out (or no case at all) and it works fine. Now I don't know if this is just my phone, but for those having the proximity sensor issues might I suggest you try it with and without a case or screen protector to see if this fixes the problem.

othersteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but it's long been known that this is an issue independent of any screen protectors or cases. It's a hardware issue that very likely requires software correction to make it palatable.

What's amazing is how simple the coding fix probably actually is in practice. Hypothetically, considering that this issue only exists in low light, it's probably something as easy as restricting screen state changes to instances where a certain gyro/accelerometer measurement coincides with the luminosity measurement change. That is, making sure that you are using some sort of two-factor verification that the phone is actually being moved away from the ear as opposed to simply relying on what now has proven to be a seriously $#!Tty proximity sensor.

Regardless of the fix, what's truly stunning is that after many months of this problem obviously being reported, HTC still has yet to have definitively provided any sort of mitigation or workaround to those affected. It is yet another reason why this will absolutely be my final HTC device, sad as I am to say it. I do not see their company turning around anytime soon.

Just my $.02.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781