Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Google Nav crashing since jb update

I. Have a job that takes me to a couple dozen different job sites on a daily basis. Fri. I was traveling across my state to many diff towns ive never been too. Damn nav crashed 8 times in my first 2 hrs, i hate to do it but im SO done with htc. I wish you all luck with this phone. Either i try another mfg or im goin apple. Damn rim an sprint for no support

Quote Originally Posted by zqual View Post
    Thank you Dagold - I just opened a ticket with HTC on a lot of the bugs in this update. hopefully we will get something from them. im gonna go to sprint and get my new phone!

Just had email discussion with a HTC rep and showed me how to clear the internal cache of the phone, just did it but not sure if it will fix the Google maps. Here are the directions. I was so shocked at how fast they keep getting back to me

Thank you for your response. We appreciate the additional information you have provided with your Evo 4G LTE. We will certainly make a note of these issues and can provide some information to help resolve the issues. Keep in mind that, since we cannot verify the exact steps that have been done on your phone previously, we will need to start from the beginning in order to make sure that all bases have been covered.

To start, we can clear the devices cache partition. This will not remove any personal data on the phone but will delete any temporary files that may be causing an issue, in case of corruption. We can clear the partition with the steps below:

1.Disable Fast Boot under Settings>Power.
    2.Power the phone off.
    3.Press and Hold Volume Down then briefly press Power to turn the phone on. Do not release Volume Down until the phone boots a white screen with three images of the Android mascot.
    4.Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery and press Power to select. Screen will load to an image of a red triangle with an exclamation point.
    5.Press Volume Up and Power at the same time to show the Recovery Menu.
    6.Use volume keys to highlight wipe cache partition then press Power to select. This may take approximately 30 seconds depending on the amount of information it has to go through.
    7.When done, highlight the option to reboot/restart phone and again press Power to select.

Once the phone reboots, test the Maps, Sensor and DLNA functions for a day or so see if there any change.

We can also boot the device into Safe Mode to see if there is any improvement in the devices function. Safe Mode will only boot up the operating systems necessary system processes. To do this, power off the phone completely. Again, we may need to ensure that Fast boot is still disabled first. Then power the phone back up and wait the white HTC screen to show. As soon as the screen turns white, press and hold Volume Down. Do not release until the Home screen shows. From there, you can test the device for a while to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please contact us again and let us know so we can look further into the issue.
    I thought this was done automatically with every OTA. Please keep us posted on whether this fixes the issue for you and if there are any side affects

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Android Central Forums

No fix from what they suggested, But I've been going back and forth with HTC for the past couple of days with the bugs ( super sensitive proximity sensor, DLNA, google maps & and added why no wifi direct?) And they said they were going to pass the case up to escalations dept. I also showed them these threads and how so many people were having these problems. So hopefully we will get a patch or something to better our phones. Because I have tried older versions of google maps and they all still crash. So i kinda think its a problem with android version 4.1.1... Im not a coder ( wish i was, would love to learn and troubleshoot these things like the Awesome guys at XDA). But I will def keep everyone posted. So looks like its Waze or telenav for now if you don't want to get a replacement phone.

P.S let me know if anyone has anymore crazy bugs and ill mention it with HTC, I went in the bugs in jelly bean and pretty much same as what i was having.

Email from HTC
    Thank you for the information. I have successfully escalated your case to our Escalations department.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Jauna

HTC

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?

Become a fan of HTC facebook.com/htc
    Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/htc
    Subscribe to our YouTube Channel youtube.com/htc

Explore our development resources developer.htc.com

Please visit us at htc.com if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

That is the same BS i got too. "We have escalated your issue but don't have new information" Just tell me you know of the problem, you know it's affecting many people and you are working on a fix. Is that so hard?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Zqual, have you tried flashing the recently released RUU?

ay

Global Posts
    765 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zqual View Post
    Thank you Dagold - I just opened a ticket with HTC on a lot of the bugs in this update. hopefully we will get something from them. im gonna go to sprint and get my new phone!

Just had email discussion with a HTC rep and showed me how to clear the internal cache of the phone, just did it but not sure if it will fix the Google maps. Here are the directions. I was so shocked at how fast they keep getting back to me

Thank you for your response. We appreciate the additional information you have provided with your Evo 4G LTE. We will certainly make a note of these issues and can provide some information to help resolve the issues. Keep in mind that, since we cannot verify the exact steps that have been done on your phone previously, we will need to start from the beginning in order to make sure that all bases have been covered.

To start, we can clear the devices cache partition. This will not remove any personal data on the phone but will delete any temporary files that may be causing an issue, in case of corruption. We can clear the partition with the steps below:

1. Disable Fast Boot under Settings>Power.
    2. Power the phone off.
    3. Press and Hold Volume Down then briefly press Power to turn the phone on. Do not release Volume Down until the phone boots a white screen with three images of the Android mascot.
    4. Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery and press Power to select. Screen will load to an image of a red triangle with an exclamation point.
    5. Press Volume Up and Power at the same time to show the Recovery Menu.
    6. Use volume keys to highlight wipe cache partition then press Power to select. This may take approximately 30 seconds depending on the amount of information it has to go through.
    7. When done, highlight the option to reboot/restart phone and again press Power to select.

Once the phone reboots, test the Maps, Sensor and DLNA functions for a day or so see if there any change.

We can also boot the device into Safe Mode to see if there is any improvement in the devices function. Safe Mode will only boot up the operating systems necessary system processes. To do this, power off the phone completely. Again, we may need to ensure that Fast boot is still disabled first. Then power the phone back up and wait the white HTC screen to show. As soon as the screen turns white, press and hold Volume Down. Do not release until the Home screen shows. From there, you can test the device for a while to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please contact us again and let us know so we can look further into the issue.
    Unfortunately, I continue to crash after trying the above, deleting and re-installing the latest Maps update, and also clearing the apps cache. Anyone have any other suggestions? Telenav is a capable replacement to Google Navigation for me, but I do prefer Google Navigation. Amazing that it's a GOOGLE app that's giving all this trouble!
    Banned

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

I've tried everything and it still crashes all the time! Using telenav for now!

Mosquitoes Refuse To Bite Me

I've tried everything also, seen other threads on this, but still no fix or even a workaround yet...

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

So since maps is the issue and telenav works fine the issue is Google's to fix? That doesnt seem like a hardware or jelly bean problem.

Still nothing , its got to be something with the jelly bean update because I tried downloading older versions of maps and they still crash as well. Fergus420, I'm not sure on how to do the flashing . But if I knew I Def try it.

I wonder if other phones are having problems with this app and jelly beanage ?

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

I haven't tried flashing the RUU either, but someone reported over on S4GRU that it fixed it for them. From what I have read, you just run the RUU executable and it does the rest automagically. Maybe if I get bored this weekend I will try it....

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

It looks like verizon SIII might have problems too...

Google Navigation crashing after JB update

Who has a ticket open with HTC on this issue? What are they saying?

To me this is a bigger issue (even though I'm not affected) than the silly Facebook Feb 29th birthday issue that I have.

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

I have a ticket open with HTC. I have been told my issue has been escalated and I should be contacted soon. That is about it...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fergus420 View Post
    but someone reported over on S4GRU that it fixed it for them.
    This turned out not to be true, my bad.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Again. For those of you who are having trouble with Google Nav. GO INTO YOUR SPRINT STORE AND GET A REPLACEMENT PHONE. Since I did that I HAVE NOT HAD ANY ISSUES WITH JB UPDATE. Google Nav has NOT crashed once since I received my replacement phone. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dagold View Post
    Again. For those of you who are having trouble with Google Nav. GO INTO YOUR SPRINT STORE AND GET A REPLACEMENT PHONE. Since I did that I HAVE NOT HAD ANY ISSUES WITH JB UPDATE. Google Nav has NOT crashed once since I received my replacement phone. Good Luck.
    I just went to 2 sprint stores and they would not replace it. first store said they wanted to do a diagnostic test and would take 2 hours. Didnt have the time, but he did notice the sensor issue with the case on. Went to second sprint store, guy lied to me and said he did an update on the phone that fixed the sensor. I wanted to punch him in his face. He did a reset said I was all set, I told him I have done all that he did and got mad at him for lying straight to my face! So i told him to mark my account that I came in and would take care of the rest. And I even called sprint in between the running around and they told me to have the sprint store look at it. WTH!!!!! Dagold, what did you say to them that got you a phone so quick. I had a feeling going to the stores would give me the runaround thats why it took me so long to go in.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Wow! I went into my sprint store and told them My google Nav was not working after the JB update. I told them I even did a hard reset,wiped my phone and installed JB again. And that did not fix the problem. The sprint store took my phone for about an hour to install their JB. I waited. When the sprint store finished I took my phone into my car and Google Nav crashed in about a minute. I went back into the sprint store (Encino, CA) and they ordered a replacement phone which I received a couple of days later. I had to install JB on my replacement phone but again NO problems whatsoever. The people at the sprint store were always very nice and did not give me any problems. They understood that Google Navigation should work.

Zqual. If I were in your position I would be very upset. I would then call sprint retention and tell them your story and all you want is a replacement phone. If they then said no I would go to the FCC website and file a complaint. I guarantee you that you will get a call from sprint within a month and they will offer you a replacement phone and do whatever they can to make you happy.When I had a problem with my sprint bill that is what I had to do and it all worked out in my favor. Good Luck Again!
    TonyLibations likes this.

O MAN!!! on the phone with sprint, they just dont want to replace it. Idk Dagold, U just have some charm i guess. Ill sit tight and wait for the update HTC pushes out, and hopefully they will do it soon, Cuz i loves my google maps!

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Zqual, do you have TEP?

Quote Originally Posted by fergus420 View Post
    Zqual, do you have TEP?

yeah I Have TEP, they sent me to put in a claim, but they wanted to charge the $150 deductible. So i said screw that. Plus, they would have sent me a refurb phone, and i am still on the fence about that as well, But since Dagold still hasnt had any problems it looks like i might try to pursue a lil more. O, and also, TEP through sprint will not replace for software malfunction unless the phone has something happen to it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

You could accidentally drop it!

Mosquitoes Refuse To Bite Me
    zqual likes this.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Why would a replacement phone have any better chance of working Google Nav than factory reset?...just askin'...same software..same hardware...same OS-
    anyone know?

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

I am going to put on my uber optimistic hat and HOPE they finally realized this is a software issue and will have a fix out shortly.

Now back to reality, that sucks zqual. I was asking about TEP to see if they were giving you a hard time because you didn't have it. I'll likely try to take mine in next week if they don't at least give me an update on my ticket status.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast