Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Google Nav crashing since jb update

Quote Originally Posted by k2ldc10 View Post
    What is the trick for putting navigation into 2d mode? Is this a function only available with JB? I haven't upgraded yet but use navigation a lot and to try it out to see if that would bug me. I didn't see how to go into 2d mode while navigating.
    You tap on the compass and it will change the view.

We just got our EVOLTE's last Saturday. My wife and I are new to HTC and new to Sprint. One update pushed through but it was just a minor ICS update. Well, two days ago the JB update was ready. I went ahead against my gut feeling and did our updates. I had been reading this form and making notes of the "displeasure" of the update and the effect it's having on Nav. I use Nav a lot so I was very hesitant. I did it anyway and I got to tell you guys....so far so good!! No issues with maps or Nav. I tested it out three times so far including for an hour drive yesterday and no problems whatsoever. Guess I lucked out Love the camera update, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    We just got our EVOLTE's last Saturday. My wife and I are new to HTC and new to Sprint. One update pushed through but it was just a minor ICS update. Well, two days ago the JB update was ready. I went ahead against my gut feeling and did our updates. I had been reading this form and making notes of the "displeasure" of the update and the effect it's having on Nav. I use Nav a lot so I was very hesitant. I did it anyway and I got to tell you guys....so far so good!! No issues with maps or Nav. I tested it out three times so far including for an hour drive yesterday and no problems whatsoever. Guess I lucked out Love the camera update, btw.
    Glad to hear you're happy! The vast majority of phones have updated with no problems. That's what I hate about forums you almost exclusively see problems and not all the successes.
    Thanked by:

What do people like better with Google Nav vs TeleNav?

I just ask because Google Nav always gives me the shortest distance route with no way to select the fastest route (unless was added, haven't used it in a while). In some cases this can be a pretty big discrepancy in travel time as Google Nav will often send you across 25-30 miles of surface streets when you could add four or five miles and be almost all highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    You tap on the compass and it will change the view.
    Thanks for that. Didn't even think of tapping the compass. I set it to 2d, and then I upgraded to jb, and the setting stayed in 2d. I will be testing to see if nav crashes. Hoping it doesn't!
    Last edited by k2ldc10; 03-09-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post

I just ask because Google Nav always gives me the shortest distance route with no way to select the fastest route (unless was added, haven't used it in a while). In some cases this can be a pretty big discrepancy in travel time as Google Nav will often send you across 25-30 miles of surface streets when you could add four or five miles and be almost all highway.
    I've always liked Telenav better, but Google Nav seems to startup and get going much faster, which is why I've started to prefer that.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Quote Originally Posted by k2ldc10 View Post
    Thanks for that. Didn't even think of tapping the compass. Inset it to 2d, and then I upgraded to in, and the setting stayed in 2d. I will be testing to see if nav crashes. Hoping it doesn't!
    Hopefully not! It's such a bizarre problem. Hopefully it gets fixed eventually. Better than when I had my Epic, where after an update the GPS would only work for about 10 minutes then mysteriously lose its fix. It would only work again if you rebooted. Now THAT was an annoying problem!

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Wow still no movement on this issue? Or did I miss something?

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Nope, no improvement

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I stopped using it and switched to TeleNav. I'm not crazy about it but at least it's reliable.

I've written the president of AT&T Wireless, coping product managers at Google and HTC. Suggest everyone else do the same. My letter (with their addresses) can be cloned from:

http://www.siliconstrat.com/pme/att-...ter-export.pdf

I saw Maps updated today, but I didn't bother to try Nav again in the 3D view. I'll try it and if it doesn't work, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing.

I'm still upset about this! One of the reasons I got this phone. Using TeleNav but hate the screen.

I've had this problem since I rooted my HTC One S and updated to JB. Shame on HTC/Google for no solutions.

Any updates now that the new Maps is filtering out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Any updates now that the new Maps is filtering out?
    Found the update last night and used it twice this morning. Crashed both times.

Not sure why Google can NOT get this basic function down on our phones.
    WHO DAT?!?!?!
    THIS IS NEW ORLEANS!!!!! - DREW BREES
    ay

Global Posts
    765 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boo5ted View Post
    Found the update last night and used it twice this morning. Crashed both times.

Not sure why Google can NOT get this basic function down on our phones.
    That's strange....I used it extensively today after upgrading this morning, and it didn't crash on me at all for the first time in ages....The only issue I have with the upgraded is that even though screen dimming during navigation rarely worked for me at all, it now no longer seems to be an option under the newer version of maps.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

I've had it a couple days, and it seems to work fine. also, i don't have the battery problem that I used to have, (draining battery - so I always had to remove the "update") and now it doesn't SEEM to be draining unnecessarily.

ROM
    CM7 or a stock sense rom

Google nav works fine for me now, except when I dock it and its in car mode. Ugg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Nexus Ninja

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The Google Maps update seems to have fixed the crashing issue for me as well. My only issue now is that the map seems to be redrawing the streets causing screen flicker while moving.
    Palm Treo 700w ~> Palm Treo 700wx ~> Blackberry Storm 9530 ~> Motorola Droid X ~> Samsung Galaxy Nexus ~> HTC Evo 4G LTE ~> Samsung Galaxy S3
    ay

Global Posts
    765 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captain_dl View Post
    The Google Maps update seems to have fixed the crashing issue for me as well. My only issue now is that the map seems to be redrawing the streets causing screen flicker while moving.
    Yes, this issue occurs for me as well, to varying degrees - sometimes it's worse, sometimes not so bad.

I've noticed that before the update if I clicked on a contact's address it would open in Maps. Now when I click the address, it does nothing. :-/
    WHO DAT?!?!?!
    THIS IS NEW ORLEANS!!!!! - DREW BREES
    ay

Global Posts
    765 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boo5ted View Post
    I've noticed that before the update if I clicked on a contact's address it would open in Maps. Now when I click the address, it does nothing. :-/
    Now that you've pointed out, I see I'm having exactly the same issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post

Just an FYI, I have had this problem with my Evo LTE since the JB update as well. I have been using Scout (well not using it since I don't like it). This Wednesday I was alerted to a new Google Maps update by the Play Store. I downloaded it and tried 3D Navigation just to prove it doesn't work... and low and behold it works! Finally!

There is some flashing of the overlays on the screen (as someone else mentioned in this thread), but it is minimal. That is probably related to the fix since the 3D part of the navigation is what causes the crashing. Redrawing the overlays constantly is probably the work-around for the problem. I did notice that even with my phone plugged in the battery was slowly dropping and the phone was getting hot (though it was also in the sun in my car), so the fix might also use more battery than normal.

Also (relating to the above quote), when choosing an address for navigation the app now gives you multiple route options to take. I think this is a new feature, though I haven't been using Google Maps Nav for some time because of the crashing so it might not be.

I hope this update helps other users with problems as well.

Now if I can find another free wifi tethering app that works with JB (unlikely) the phone will finally work as well as it did with ICS.

DaveJ

I turned hardware overlay off, that fixed navigation unless I went to navigation via google maps. Google maps still crashed. So, I rebooted and after that, I have gone through the scenario several times and no crash. Then, I went to recent apps screen, removed google maps, restarted - now the problem is back again.

Have seen several people claim replacing the phone worked. Is there a "magic phrase" to use with AT&T to get them to replace the phone due to this problem anyone knows of?

HTC One X+ from AT&T
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456