Google Nav crashing since jb update

321contak

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
+1 no work after update.
Read article today that said Google Maps on IOS better then on Android. I used Google Maps on friends Iphone since the 3 up to the current 5 and google Maps is smoother and seems more polished on IOS. Bums me out as a dedicated Android user.

dagold99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Tried using it a little today. It seemed to work in the "regular Mode view" but I like to use the satellite view and it crashed all the time in Satellite View.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The Telenav / Maps application continually crashes on me. Prior to the maps update yesterday Navigation crashed every 30 seconds as opposed to crashing every 3 minutes now. You can imagine how frustrated this was for me as I left from KC to Chicago for a honeymoon this past weekend and I had no navigation support. Not that I needed help getting there, or that the phone can actually pick up and lock onto a signal in the sea of concrete and steel superstructures, but there were times I could have used it.

This really was and still is disappointing, that a major update screwed up like this so badly on a stock (un-rooted) phone.

I guess I'll try to reset to factory defaults in a day or two... not that I relish the idea of rebuilding the pone from scratch....

David

AetherJones

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
The Telenav / Maps application continually crashes on me.

David

Which one, Google Nav, or Telenav? Because if Google Nav is the one that youre having problems with then you can try Telenav... I haven't had any problems witb that one or Waze. It's just been the Google Nav thats been useless.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

AetherJones

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
+1 no work after update.
Read article today that said Google Maps on IOS better then on Android. I used Google Maps on friends Iphone since the 3 up to the current 5 and google Maps is smoother and seems more polished on IOS. Bums me out as a dedicated Android user.

What i wanna know is why Google is letting Apple use Google Maps anyway. I sure wouldnt. I dont see Apple lending Siri to Google, Google had to create their own version.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
What i wanna know is why Google is letting Apple use Google Maps anyway. I sure wouldnt. I dont see Apple lending Siri to Google, Google had to create their own version.

MONEY!!!!!....... that's the only answer you need.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Which one, Google Nav, or Telenav? Because if Google Nav is the one that youre having problems with then you can try Telenav... I haven't had any problems witb that one or Waze. It's just been the Google Nav thats been useless.

I thought it was Telenav, was it called that before and it's now just Navigation...? It's Navigation that's been giving me a problem, maps on it's own works fine. But I assume Google maps is somehow tied to Navigation, so when Nav fails, it gives me a message that maps has failed. The recent update(s) to Google Maps hasn't helped. Also took the phone in to a Sprint store today where the tech was able to force some sort of update that isn't available to the general user(?) but that didn't help either.

BTW..... My phone can be sitting on my desk for quite some time, with Nav running and a destination address plugged it, and it runs without a problem. It's only when moving that the app crashes....

ginglish

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list. Factory Reset and all new downloads did not fix it for me either. Maps is a bit more stable, but NAV will not run without crashing.

So, other than complaining here; I've let the APP report to Google when it crashes, left a low rating on Google Play. Where else can we complain to? Is this HTC problem, Google Problem or Sprint? I'm thinking not Sprint cause they don't make it or code it. Any suggestions?

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Tried using it a little today. It seemed to work in the "regular Mode view" but I like to use the satellite view and it crashed all the time in Satellite View.

Uninstall Google maps and reinstall from the play store....

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Uninstall Google maps and reinstall from the play store....

I've tried that and it didn't work. Tried deleting the cache and that didn't help. I've also reported this several times via the "Send report to Google" request after an app fails.

Does anyone know if Nav is a Google or a third party product? I know maps is Google.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Navigation is a Google product (tied into Maps), Telenav is third-party (free, but with ads - I use an ad blocker so I don't care).

AetherJones

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was Telenav, was it called that before and it's now just Navigation...?

No, two different apps. Telenav is not made by Google. Its a good turn by turn nav product though. Search Google Play for it and trg it until (if) Google fixes Navivation.

dagold99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Does Google Navigation and maps work with some HTC 4g lte phones after JB update? If so why would would Navigation work on some and not on the phones?

ufergus

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Still nothing from HTC, but Google Santa Tracker crashes too once santa starts moving again.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

zqual

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Someone on the sprint forums said they got a whole new evo 4glte and said that fixed the problem, but I am waiting for more days of there using it before I go get a refurbed :( evo .

33. Dec 24, 2012 2:50 PM (in response to Zqual)
Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation
For those of you still having problems with google maps I have a fix. Get a new phone. My phone was doing the same thing that everyone else has been talking about and I tried "everything" to fix it. My last resort was to take it to the sprint store and when I did they said the software needed to be re-installed. This is not the same as doing a factory reset. I went to pick my phone up yesterday and they said everything was working just fine. My maps app crashed before I even left sprints parking lot. When I talked to the girl that worked on she said that it must have a bad processor. After getting my new phone (refurbished) it didnt crash once. My friend also has this phone and has had no problems with it. This leads me to believe that some of the new Evos ( everybody thats posting in here) could possibly have the same bad processor or something else wrong on their motherboard. Its a pain losing everything and having to start over but I'd rather have a phone that works all the time. I would tell the people at sprint not to waste their time re-installing the software. hope this helps some of you

------ they said new evos, I got mine before it was sold in the store, so Idk. Ill keep everyone posted if this worked for them.