Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Default Re: Battery after JB

LOL, thank you, I meant, I do know what fastboot is and I never have it checked/on, but I just don't know what is causing the drain. I don't feel like doing a factory reset and having to set everything back up. Usage says my camera is using anywhere from 27% to 33% of my phones energy. Does anyone know if I clear out the data and cache of the Camera app in the Apps section, if it will mess up the camera functions?

I don't think the option should even be offered anymore (more negative than positive) or at least the default should be OFF.

I think they did change the default to off this go around.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,483 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andras View Post
    I think they did change the default [fastboot] to off this go around.
    I noticed mine was off, but I assumed it just remembered that from before the update. Anyway, I hope you are right!
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Global Posts
    2,483 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNeil View Post
    Usage says my camera is using anywhere from 27% to 33% of my phones energy. Does anyone know if I clear out the data and cache of the Camera app in the Apps section, if it will mess up the camera functions?
    OMG! The camera should not be using that much power unless you have been actively using it a LOT. Clearing out the cache of the camera app won't hurt it (it will forget your settings only) but it shouldn't make any difference either. Did you reboot like I said to?

Remember- the usage history is since the last charging session. The numbers are not terribly useful until the phone has been off the charger for quite a while. If you take it off the charger, use the camera once, then go look at the history, it is going to look like the camera is using a huge amount of power (which it is, but only because you haven't done anything else yet).
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:

I did reboot, but still says the same thing in Usage. Maybe I will try clearing it out. I am assuming that the only thing I will have to change once I use the camera again is where to save photos to. So, it is safe to clear the camera data and cache?

Global Posts
    2,483 Global Posts

I did reboot, but still says the same thing in Usage. Maybe I will try clearing it out. I am assuming that the only thing I will have to change once I use the camera again is where to save photos to. So, it is safe to clear the camera data and cache?
    Yes and yes. Then perhaps reboot it again, put it on the charger until it is full, then take it off and use (or not use) it normally for a few hours and look at your power history again.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Yes and yes. Then perhaps reboot it again, put it on the charger until it is full, then take it off and use (or not use) it normally for a few hours and look at your power history again.
    Tank you for the suggestion! I love these forums. I like to be able to give help and get help so fast!

Google now is turned off and my battery is back to like it was before the update. Very happy. Let's see if it lasts.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,483 Global Posts

Google now is turned off and my battery is back to like it was before the update. Very happy. Let's see if it lasts.
    You made some other changes too, so it is hard to be conclusive. But it does have face validity based on other postings and the way Google [Spy] Now seems to work. Since it is always "on", recording where you go, what you do, etc, it stands to reason it will be using significant power. Will be interesting to see if anyone else with battery issues has the same result when just turning off Google [Spy] Now without making any other changes...

(I am not a good test, because I never allowed it to start in the first place).

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I noticed mine was off, but I assumed it just remembered that from before the update. Anyway, I hope you are right!
    I've done 5 total factory resets 2 of which I wiped the cache partition to try to fix my proximity sensor issues and each time the fast boot was checked off....so I think that's a good sign =).
    crxssi likes this.

For what it's worth, I have left it enabled, but have disabled Location History within Google Maps (which Now uses for some of its functionality, but which isn't required) and it seems to have made a huge difference in battery conservation. Please try this and let us know if it also seems to work for you. It'd be great to find a way to keep Now enabled for those who want it but still not completely sacrifice all battery life.
    crxssi likes this.

Global Posts
    404 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by othersteve View Post
    For what it's worth, I have left it enabled, but have disabled Location History within Google Maps (which Now uses for some of its functionality, but which isn't required) and it seems to have made a huge difference in battery conservation. Please try this and let us know if it also seems to work for you. It'd be great to find a way to keep Now enabled for those who want it but still not completely sacrifice all battery life.
    Seems like location history is causing Maps to turn itself on and drain the battery.

Battery after JB-uploadfromtaptalk1355601223780.jpg

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm off charger for 8 hours and I'm at 75% with Google Now on...I don't think Google Now is that big of a battery drain...

Well, I wish it wasn't for me, but it really was. I will try going back to it, but so far I am thrilled with battery life since I turned it off.

Quote Originally Posted by othersteve View Post
    I've also seen a difference after doing the same thing. It's a bit early to tell but I compared one hour to the next and saw much less battery drain.

Sent from my Touchpad using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    I've also seen a difference after doing the same thing. It's a bit early to tell but I compared one hour to the next and saw much less battery drain.

Sent from my Touchpad using Android Central Forums
    Do you lose the travel time home cards by doing this?

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My location settings in Maps app....did get travel time card last night when I was leaving for work....and that's my battery after being off charger 8 hours and 41 minutes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery after JB-2012-12-15_16-17-45.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Andras View Post
    Do you lose the travel time home cards by doing this?
    No idea... I hope not. I've yet to see it.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Android Central Forums

I have had 20-30% increase in battery usage for example, playing podcast uses more battery than it did before. The phone is on power saving mode. It reminds me the poor battery life of the first evo.

So far my battery's been somewhat similar as before. I'm losing about 10% more per day than before, which isn't terrible and still leaves me at around 60% at the end of the day. Something I noticed today, the OS upgrade turned NFC back on. I usually keep this off by default. Check if yours is on. If you don't use NFC, it might help your batter life a bit.

I just enabled Google Now, and am now going to select only a few cards that I want on(weather, sports, emergency alerts) and I turned off Location History. I want to see how much of a difference it makes for me. On a side note, what do most of you have set for your GPS settings. I have Google's Location Service, Location & Google Search, and Compass Warning all checked and GPS satelites unchecked.

I don't think I'm doing too bad a couple of days into the update
    And no I haven't hit the charger once during this
    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I would love to see what your settings are and what your normal daily usage is.
    AetherJones likes this.

I would love to see what your settings are and what your normal daily usage is.
    Me too

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast