Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Results 151 to 166 of 166
Like Tree26Likes
  1. #151  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Anyone have any idea what could be causing "Android OS" to be kept awake for over an hour? I also installed System Monitor and it only confirmed that "system" was using my battery, but no more details beyond that.

    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I did a hard reset after having terrible battery life after installing the JB update. I managed to go throught 35% of my battery in less than 3 hours with the phone in power saver mode and in standby. When I reinstalled my apps I left a few rogue apps off that Carot was picking up on and I notice a slight bump in battery life.

    I think the problem may be that JB is some how causing rogue apps to run/pull data more that they where before the JB update.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #152  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    Quote Originally Posted by Andras View Post
    I installed GSam about a week or two ago to check what was waking my phone constantly. While my screen is off(probably an average of 35-40 minutes per hour), Maps(I'm assuming for Google Now) wakes my phone an average of 75 times an hour for an average time held awake around 7 minutes. That is just a bit ridiculous and I wonder if it is supposed to be running like that or just a glitch that needs to be worked out. I have observed this both on the stock JB ROM and MeanBean.
    Same here. I guess it's expected, but I don't know why. It might be an interesting experiment to try disabling the Maps app. I wonder what would happen... :rolleyes:
  3. #153  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Same here. I guess it's expected, but I don't know why. It might be an interesting experiment to try disabling the Maps app. I wonder what would happen... :rolleyes:
    Or maybe disabling Google Now for a couple days. It'd be nice if Google let us choose how often we wanted that to update: ie realtime/every 30 min/1 hour/etc.
  4. #154  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,884 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,203 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    Quote Originally Posted by Andras View Post
    I installed GSam about a week or two ago to check what was waking my phone constantly. While my screen is off(probably an average of 35-40 minutes per hour), Maps(I'm assuming for Google Now) wakes my phone an average of 75 times an hour for an average time held awake around 7 minutes. That is just a bit ridiculous and I wonder if it is supposed to be running like that or just a glitch that needs to be worked out. I have observed this both on the stock JB ROM and MeanBean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Same here. I guess it's expected, but I don't know why. It might be an interesting experiment to try disabling the Maps app. I wonder what would happen... :rolleyes:
    Do you have location history turned on? It is on by default if you have Google [Spy] Now on (has been discussed many times in many threads)
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  5. #155  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    Quote Originally Posted by mike31082 View Post
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I did a hard reset after having terrible battery life after installing the JB update. I managed to go throught 35% of my battery in less than 3 hours with the phone in power saver mode and in standby. When I reinstalled my apps I left a few rogue apps off that Carot was picking up on and I notice a slight bump in battery life.

    I think the problem may be that JB is some how causing rogue apps to run/pull data more that they where before the JB update.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    It's just weird. Today I'm getting great battery life, but Android OS was kept awake even longer at almost an hour and a half. Maybe it always did that and that's not the problem. I have no idea what I did differently today vs. other days.

    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
  6. #156  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Do you have location history turned on? It is on by default if you have Google [Spy] Now on (has been discussed many times in many threads)
    No way. I've been on your side with the anti-Location History as i already knew how much of a drainer that is from ICS. My battery life isn't bad by any means. Just trying to pinpoint all this cpu waking. I'm going to turn Google Now off tonight and see what the difference will be tomorrow.
  7. #157  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,884 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,203 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    Quote Originally Posted by Andras View Post
    No way. I've been on your side with the anti-Location History as i already knew how much of a drainer that is from ICS. My battery life isn't bad by any means. Just trying to pinpoint all this cpu waking. I'm going to turn Google Now off tonight and see what the difference will be tomorrow.
    It will be interesting to see if you find any difference with it on or off, with location history already off. Our premise might be that there should be no difference... if there is, then things will get messier (could be confounds, combinations issues, something else that Google [spy] Now does, computational errors, unrelated apps, etc)
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  8. #158  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    It will be interesting to see if you find any difference with it on or off, with location history already off. Our premise might be that there should be no difference... if there is, then things will get messier (could be confounds, combinations issues, something else that Google [spy] Now does, computational errors, unrelated apps, etc)
    Seeing as A LOT of what Google Now is location based(sending offers to store you're near, attractions, time to home etc.) I'm wiling to bet that is the culprit. I'll report back at the end of the day tomorrow either way though.
  9. #159  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    Well I was hoping to get information on an entire day but my phone locked up and had to SIM pull it which reset the counter on Gsam. I did manage to check the stats at the end of my workday though. After 8 1/2 hours on battery maps awoke my phone 536 times for a total of 15 minutes awake time(I can't remember the seconds). It seemed that turning Google Now off had no change on the average amount of times the phone was awoken from sleep per hour but it did have an effect on how many minutes it ran(went from about 6-7 minutes per hour screen off time to about 2 minutes). Maps was MUCH MUCH farther down the list as far as total battery usage. It didn't even show up on the stock battery usage app.
    Last edited by Andras; 01-10-2013 at 05:52 PM.
  10. #160  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    I've turned Google Now back on today but I unchecked Report from this device under Location settings(it was checked by default). Google Now is still working correctly but I am experiencing half the times my phone is being awoken from sleep(35 vs. 75 times per hour) and about a quarter of the time length maps is holding the device awake(around 1 1/2min vs. 7 min per hour).
  11. #161  
    heyyu's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    I wasn't planning on doing a hard reset on my phone, but somehow I managed to do it, don't ask me how. But on the positive side, my battery life is much better now. After 11 hrs of use, I still have 34% battery life left. Before the hard reset, my phone was lasting 4 hours before it died. I also made sure that I only reinstalled my most often used apps, so I don't know if I had a rogue app causing my battery drain before the hard reset.
  12. #162  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    Well, after all this time with the JB update, battery life has noticeably decreased from ICS for me, it's safe to say.

    Checked my usage (20 hours off the charger) and Camera was using 45% of my battery. Haven't opened the app in days. Last rebooted when it came off the charger. This has been happening over the past two weeks. What gives? I'm gonna try a factory reset soon.
  13. #163  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    What do I need to do for a factory reset?

    From my EVO LTE
  14. #164  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    Quote Originally Posted by bdecastro77 View Post
    What do I need to do for a factory reset?

    From my EVO LTE
    Sometimes there are glitches in the wifi when downloading updates, causing problems. A factory reset can get rid of those.

    Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2
  15. #165  

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    With all the traveling/navigating and everything I've been doing lately I can't give fair quantitative values to battery life but I can say that for the last few days I've left power saver on with cpu power and display checked and it seems to be helping out without sacrificing too much performance.
  16. #166  
    jwbekens's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery after JB

    In the hope that this helps someone, I found that my gmail accounts were both corrupted and caused massive battery drain. Before the JB update, I would go 8-10 hours at work (on wi-fi for data) and my battery only drained to 50-60% at the most. After the JB update, the battery drained to 30-40% left after 8-10 hours using Google Now with a lot of cards. But suddenly this week, my battery would drain down to 10% within 5 hours. So I read this thread and got Carat from the Play store. My phone was constantly synching. I have one Microsoft Exchange account, 2 gmail accounts, Verizon, FB, Linkedin, Watch, and a few others. Most everything is set to Smart Sync. According to the Power graph, the device was almost constantly "awake." I tried turning on and off the Connections Optimizer. I turned wi fi on and off for hours at a time to see if it was slow data rates or not. I played with the Power Saver. I did simulated battery pulls with the fast boot unchecked. I turned off Google Now and location memory. The battery temp was running 97-102F. Very uncomfortable in my pants pocket, to say the least. Still the battery fully drained in 5 hours.

    I then logged into my gmail accounts on line. No problems, but both accounts somehow had more than 100 duplicate contacts, in addition to the usual 850 each. So I merged the contacts on each account separately. I removed the accounts from the EVOLTE from Mail and from Google and from Gmail. I then re-installed them. Carat said Power optimizer was a Hog. It did not detect any other problems. So, today, with Google Now turned back on, with Location memory on, everything is synching just fine, and now after 9 hours of use, I am at 60% battery remaining. The problem was synching continuously to both of my Gmail accounts. And it seemed to be the contacts got corrupted. I will update if Carat finds something else that is causing problems. Even with Google Now and Maps, Norton Security, {onX}, Evernote, and FB and others running in the background, my battery life is just fine. I have >200 apps installed, too.

    Check your Gmail contacts and calendar and tasks for corrupted data. This actually happened on my old Pre. Somehow I ended up with 23,000 contacts and synching those will definitely drain your battery. This time it was just a few hundred extra.
    Thanked by:
    crxssi likes this.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Similar Threads

  1. Battery charged notification after JB update
    By Malchore in forum Droid RAZR HD
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 05:38 PM
  2. Poor battery life after JB update
    By Vcize in forum AT&T Galaxy S3
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 06:49 AM
  3. Droid X refuses third party battery after Froyo 2.2 update
    By littleG in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 10:54 AM
  4. Charging battery after it is full.
    By Jalarm in forum T-Mobile Nexus S
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 11:34 AM
  5. battery after update
    By jnadelman in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions

B