Battery after JB

haist

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has been pretty great.. I've been getting almost 5 hours of screen time with 20%still have left in the tank

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Many of us have a job and have to work, or do other things, that do not involve obsessing over the phone. On average, I probably have less than 10 minutes of screen "on" time M-F. Sometimes much more, sometimes a little less. And when I am at home and using the Internet, I will use my main computer with a huge screen and real keyboard, or my Nexus 10 tablet.

Just because some people aren't on it every minute doesn't mean they don't deserve a nice device for the times they do use it....

Hey if you want to just use your phone as a beautiful paper weight and get 6 days of battery life, use it obsessively and get 3 hours, or somewhere in between more power to you and it's all the same to me. I use and rely on my phone heavily for both personal uses and work so I'm never going to get battery time. My point is these people reporting a day and a half of battery time are the exception and not the expectation. I'm glad they posted the screen shots so we can see how/why they are getting those kind of numbers and why people like myself aren't anywhere near that. It seems like I'm getting reduced battery life since the update but I've been on my phone so much I can't really tell at this point yet.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
And on a side note crxssi, I'm not going to disable google spy [now] just to eek out a little extra battery ;-)

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey if you want to just use your phone as a beautiful paper weight and get 6 days of battery life, use it obsessively and get 3 hours, or somewhere in between more power to you and it's all the same to me. I use and rely on my phone heavily for both personal uses and work so I'm never going to get battery time. My point is these people reporting a day and a half of battery time are the exception and not the expectation. I'm glad they posted the screen shots so we can see how/why they are getting those kind of numbers and why people like myself aren't anywhere near that. It seems like I'm getting reduced battery life since the update but I've been on my phone so much I can't really tell at this point yet.

Its all cool. There are as many ways to use a phone as there are people. Since you use the hell out of yours, post your battery life graphs too as a retort! I never posted mine, since there were plenty of other lower-usage postings already... see, I was looking out for your interests and you didn't even know it!

And on a side note crxssi, I'm not going to disable google spy [now] just to eek out a little extra battery ;-)

LOL

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I THINK I could get great battery life if I could figure out what is keeping my phone awake. With ICS I used to get 15 hours, you can ree by my screen shots I've gotten almost 12 with 3.5 his screen on time, but if you look closely you see the phone is being kept awake even when my screen isn't on. I've turn off Google Now and location history for Google Maps.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355792430645.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355792430645.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1355792441175.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355792441175.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 45
  • uploadfromtaptalk1355792452373.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355792452373.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 45

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I THINK I could get great battery life if I could figure out what is keeping my phone awake. With ICS I used to get 15 hours, you can ree by my screen shots I've gotten almost 12 with 3.5 his screen on time, but if you look closely you see the phone is being kept awake even when my screen isn't on. I've turn off Google Now and location history for Google Maps.

LOL- it is probably GSAM waking constantly to help you save or monitor battery :)

scratchfwb

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok after full charge, light use til afternoon which is my normal then moderate til bed, I'm at 16 hrs with 22 percent batt. Google Now is on. Averaged 15 plus pre JB. So a little better...for what it's worth

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355800145858.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355800145858.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 47

AetherJones

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
My battery life improved drastically today. Not sure exactly why, cuz i did a lot of stuff to try to help it. Ultimately, I was able to leave Google Now on, and didnt need to use the power saver today. It doesnt last Quite as long as it used to but i think that I just have to get used to the fact that podcasts and audible burn more battery than they used to.

jamesosully

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea why the Mediaserver is taking up so much battery? I don't ever listen to music during the day, so I'm hard pressed to figure out what is going on. Same thing for the Bookmarks widget. I don't use it and deleted it off the home page. Any suggestions would be fantastic!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Emmanuel11

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea why the Mediaserver is taking up so much battery? I don't ever listen to music during the day, so I'm hard pressed to figure out what is going on. Same thing for the Bookmarks widget. I don't use it and deleted it off the home page. Any suggestions would be fantastic!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Omg finally my thoughts exactly I get that too I look thru the app just so I can find mediaserver and disable it but I can't find it

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Omg finally my thoughts exactly I get that too I look thru the app just so I can find mediaserver and disable it but I can't find it

You can't disable mediaserver. For one thing, mediaserver has to examine your media (audio/video/photos) files you have on your device to categorize them for the OS, even if you never play/view them. That is why when you first plug in an SD card loaded with music or first disconnect the USB cable after uploading lots of music/video, you can see the mediaserver process "crawling" your device looking for changes. You can even feel performance suffer while it is doing this (especially if it is several GB of stuff).

Here is an interesting link I found:

Buggy Android Mediaserver draining your battery ? Connect-UTB

The prevailing current theory is that the user has uploaded some song or video that has bad or corrupt stuff in it (something in the ID3 or cover art or SOMETHING), causing the mediaserver process to enter a loop or get stuck on those files, thus consuming tons of CPU, thus tons of battery.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is pretty much back to normal. However, "Bookmark Widget" is using up a sizeable chunk - but it's not active. I've never used it. What could be the cause?

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is pretty much back to normal. However, "Bookmark Widget" is using up a sizeable chunk - but it's not active. I've never used it. What could be the cause?

I noticed this on mine as well and just disabled it and a bunch of other things I never plan on using.

So far the biggest take away I see from this thread is being on wifi makes a huge difference in battery life.

Emmanuel11

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
You can't disable mediaserver. For one thing, mediaserver has to examine your media (audio/video/photos) files you have on your device to categorize them for the OS, even if you never play/view them. That is why when you first plug in an SD card loaded with music or first disconnect the USB cable after uploading lots of music/video, you can see the mediaserver process "crawling" your device looking for changes. You can even feel performance suffer while it is doing this (especially if it is several GB of stuff).

Here is an interesting link I found:

Buggy Android Mediaserver draining your battery ? Connect-UTB

The prevailing current theory is that the user has uploaded some song or video that has bad or corrupt stuff in it (something in the ID3 or cover art or SOMETHING), causing the mediaserver process to enter a loop or get stuck on those files, thus consuming tons of CPU, thus tons of battery.

I hardly add music and I have video but I do add like 5 photos daily from instagram and tumblr maybe that why I have a photo collecting addiction. I guess I might have to transfer them to dropbox

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I am curious to hear what other users do while driving. When I am in the car I have my phone connected to my car's blue tooth. I also plug my phone in while driving to preserve battery. That's pretty much the only time I throw it on a charger aside from over night. Do most of you use charger in the car even when your battery isn't low or do you leave unplugged? Just curious. Thanks.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am curious to hear what other users do while driving. When I am in the car I have my phone connected to my car's blue tooth. I also plug my phone in while driving to preserve battery. That's pretty much the only time I throw it on a charger aside from over night. Do most of you use charger in the car even when your battery isn't low or do you leave unplugged? Just curious. Thanks.

I used to with my OG EVO, I called it "opportunistic charging". Never did it with my EVO LTE with ICS, however now with JB I will have to go back to it (until I get things figured out). :-(

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

IMO if you have this phone and use it in your car a lot and DO NOT own the car dock, you are doing yourself a huge disservice. It's simple...start car, drop phone into dock, it starts charging, automatically turns the screen on and switches to car mode, automatically connects to bluetooth, and automatically starts playing music once a connection is made. You get the phone, navigation, music, and tune in radio apps on a nicely designed screen with larger icons when using the apps. Not that I condone texting in the car,,, but if need be I even have a profile set up on Tasker that when in car mode if I press the camera button Voice Search launches and I can send a text verbally. You can still launch Google Now in car mode by long pressing home button but it won't automatically launch the microphone like Voice Search does and will require touching the mic icon on the search bar. The car dock is seriously one accessory for a phone I will never do without again. Seriously...it's awesome =).

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 128
  • the.jpg
    the.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't use car dock until it incorporates Waze.

If you had Tasker for Android or something like it you could map one of your hardware buttons to launch Waze for you from your Car Home screen like I have done with Voice Search and my camera button....not to mention all the other cool automated tasks you can make with it. Just a suggestion. ;)