Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357259463114.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357259463114.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 146

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Not to be labor the point, but I do think battery life has taken a huge hit after the update. I have followed a bunch of the advice and nothing yet, no improvement. And I did the factory reset a few times as well. The latest is turning off Google Now which has been disappointing anyway, so what's the point of leaving it on? Notifications don't pop up for the items selected so what's the point? And if the phone dies in 8 hours of low usage its not quite worth it. We'll see if that makes a difference.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Not to be labor the point, but I do think battery life has taken a huge hit after the update. I have followed a bunch of the advice and nothing yet, no improvement. And I did the factory reset a few times as well. The latest is turning off Google Now which has been disappointing anyway, so what's the point of leaving it on? [...] We'll see if that makes a difference.

It very likely will because most problems of battery life are pointed at only the location history setting being "on"; and Google [Spy] Now turns it on by default when it is activated. You can turn it off and leave Now on if you want, however.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I would say Google Now is the issue.. When on ICS and i installed Google now i seen a big difference in battery drain. once i unistalled it my battery went back to normal

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had location history off the whole time. Changed that setting right away. Been following the threads and making adjustments. With the same settings and usage for the most part as before on ics, my battery life is not even close. I used to take it off the charger at 10pm and make it a solid 24 hours, now I'm lucky to get about half. If it was just sitting overnight I'd barely lose battery, maybe 1 or 2 percent, now it's 10 to 12. And with Google now off, first night, lost 12 percent overnight. At this point, it's just disappointing.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm still waiting to hear from 1 person with bad battery life that did a hard reset, did not install any apps, ran their phones for a few days, and still have horrible battery life.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm still waiting to hear from 1 person with bad battery life that did a hard reset, did not install any apps, ran their phones for a few days, and still have horrible battery life.

I started with a clean phone before the update, did the update, did a reset, and then slowly started adding apps and my battery life is far from stellar.

I don't think you are going to find many people willing to not install any apps for days, and the type of people who are willing to do that are the type of people who hardly use their phones anyways and already get great battery life because of that

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any idea what could be causing "Android OS" to be kept awake for over an hour? I also installed System Monitor and it only confirmed that "system" was using my battery, but no more details beyond that.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I installed GSam about a week or two ago to check what was waking my phone constantly. While my screen is off(probably an average of 35-40 minutes per hour), Maps(I'm assuming for Google Now) wakes my phone an average of 75 times an hour for an average time held awake around 7 minutes. That is just a bit ridiculous and I wonder if it is supposed to be running like that or just a glitch that needs to be worked out. I have observed this both on the stock JB ROM and MeanBean.

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any idea what could be causing "Android OS" to be kept awake for over an hour? I also installed System Monitor and it only confirmed that "system" was using my battery, but no more details beyond that.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

I mentioned this in another thread, but I did a hard reset after having terrible battery life after installing the JB update. I managed to go throught 35% of my battery in less than 3 hours with the phone in power saver mode and in standby. When I reinstalled my apps I left a few rogue apps off that Carot was picking up on and I notice a slight bump in battery life.

I think the problem may be that JB is some how causing rogue apps to run/pull data more that they where before the JB update.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I installed GSam about a week or two ago to check what was waking my phone constantly. While my screen is off(probably an average of 35-40 minutes per hour), Maps(I'm assuming for Google Now) wakes my phone an average of 75 times an hour for an average time held awake around 7 minutes. That is just a bit ridiculous and I wonder if it is supposed to be running like that or just a glitch that needs to be worked out. I have observed this both on the stock JB ROM and MeanBean.

Same here. I guess it's expected, but I don't know why. It might be an interesting experiment to try disabling the Maps app. I wonder what would happen... :rolleyes:

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I guess it's expected, but I don't know why. It might be an interesting experiment to try disabling the Maps app. I wonder what would happen... :rolleyes:

Or maybe disabling Google Now for a couple days. It'd be nice if Google let us choose how often we wanted that to update: ie realtime/every 30 min/1 hour/etc.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Do you have location history turned on? It is on by default if you have Google [Spy] Now on (has been discussed many times in many threads)

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned this in another thread, but I did a hard reset after having terrible battery life after installing the JB update. I managed to go throught 35% of my battery in less than 3 hours with the phone in power saver mode and in standby. When I reinstalled my apps I left a few rogue apps off that Carot was picking up on and I notice a slight bump in battery life.

I think the problem may be that JB is some how causing rogue apps to run/pull data more that they where before the JB update.

It's just weird. Today I'm getting great battery life, but Android OS was kept awake even longer at almost an hour and a half. Maybe it always did that and that's not the problem. I have no idea what I did differently today vs. other days.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you have location history turned on? It is on by default if you have Google [Spy] Now on (has been discussed many times in many threads)

No way. I've been on your side with the anti-Location History as i already knew how much of a drainer that is from ICS. My battery life isn't bad by any means. Just trying to pinpoint all this cpu waking. I'm going to turn Google Now off tonight and see what the difference will be tomorrow.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
No way. I've been on your side with the anti-Location History as i already knew how much of a drainer that is from ICS. My battery life isn't bad by any means. Just trying to pinpoint all this cpu waking. I'm going to turn Google Now off tonight and see what the difference will be tomorrow.

It will be interesting to see if you find any difference with it on or off, with location history already off. Our premise might be that there should be no difference... if there is, then things will get messier (could be confounds, combinations issues, something else that Google [spy] Now does, computational errors, unrelated apps, etc)

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
It will be interesting to see if you find any difference with it on or off, with location history already off. Our premise might be that there should be no difference... if there is, then things will get messier (could be confounds, combinations issues, something else that Google [spy] Now does, computational errors, unrelated apps, etc)

Seeing as A LOT of what Google Now is location based(sending offers to store you're near, attractions, time to home etc.) I'm wiling to bet that is the culprit. I'll report back at the end of the day tomorrow either way though.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I was hoping to get information on an entire day but my phone locked up and had to SIM pull it which reset the counter on Gsam. I did manage to check the stats at the end of my workday though. After 8 1/2 hours on battery maps awoke my phone 536 times for a total of 15 minutes awake time(I can't remember the seconds). It seemed that turning Google Now off had no change on the average amount of times the phone was awoken from sleep per hour but it did have an effect on how many minutes it ran(went from about 6-7 minutes per hour screen off time to about 2 minutes). Maps was MUCH MUCH farther down the list as far as total battery usage. It didn't even show up on the stock battery usage app.

Last edited:

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I've turned Google Now back on today but I unchecked Report from this device under Location settings(it was checked by default). Google Now is still working correctly but I am experiencing half the times my phone is being awoken from sleep(35 vs. 75 times per hour) and about a quarter of the time length maps is holding the device awake(around 1 1/2min vs. 7 min per hour).