Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery after JB

First day of life with JB on my HTC EVO 4G LTE - horrid.

Took phone off the charger at 6AM and almost 8 hours later I only have 31% left.

About noon I turned off the WiFi optimizer and Google Now.

The ugly thing is that I don't think my "go to" battery monitor is working right with JB on this phone. GSam Battery Monitor is reporting that 97% of my battery was consume by a 2 minute and 5 Se one phone call (see attached pic).

I used to get 15 hours even with 3 hours screen on time. So far my screen has only been on 2 hours and 36 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery after JB-uploadfromtaptalk1355514728619.jpg  

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default Re: Battery after JB

Was this phone call pretty intense?

I have to agree. My battery life is much worse. I lisrened to audible for an hkur and dropped 15% when i usually listen for 3 hours to drop that much.

I ended up using that new battery saving option big time... And it didnt help much.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Sorniel M Davila likes this.

I never put the phone down, I've been working on it constantly so my batter life's been horrible. Have to wait a while to really get a good test

ROM
    Stock-unrooted

Off charger for 2 hours, 39 minutes with minimal usage and down to 85% charge, this after turning off and disabling stuff I don't use or need....this is concerning.
    CrackBerry Curve 9330 > BlackBerry Tour 9630 > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 4G LTE > Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zookeeper63 View Post
    Off charger for 2 hours, 39 minutes with minimal usage and down to 85% charge, this after turning off and disabling stuff I don't use or need....this is concerning.
    Is that with or without accepting/allowing Google Plus? What about the "Connection Optimizer"? Also suggest you look at the power history stuff to see if there is anything interesting there.

Comparing one person's battery life to another is a meaningless, futile task. However, comparing your own experience on the same phone, with the same apps, in the same area, and with the same usage patterns can provide useful info.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    kaablewy likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Anyone else notice battery usage no longer shows the screen as using a percentage of your battery?

I guess with Jelly Bean your screen no longer consumes any battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Anyone else notice battery usage no longer shows the screen as using a percentage of your battery?

I guess with Jelly Bean your screen no longer consumes any battery.
    Very interesting. So under what application would they now expense it is the next question.

Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I-can't-believe-I-fricken-use-Android View Post
    Very interesting. So under what application would they now expense it [the screen] is the next question.
    And the answer is it appears that it is nowhere.

When I add up all the percents, I am only getting 95%. That is the first issue. The second issue is that we *KNOW* the screen can't be just 5%. And if I just let it sit a long while, with the screen on, the percents do not change.

My conclusion is that they are showing the percentages of everything AFTER they remove the screen power consumption. That is incredibly stupid- since the screen is *aways* going to use more power than anything else, if there is any reasonable screen-on time. Why the hell would they want to hide screen power usage??

Am I missing something?
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:

You need to give the phone about a week before condemning the battery! It is always worse right after an update!

SENT FROM MY JELLYBEAN EATING EVO!

Download the app, Carat, and let it run for a while to see if there are any rogue programs hogging data or any other issues going on with the phone. I am thinking about doing that as my battery life has significantly deteriorated since the update. I hope it changes.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    And the answer is it appears that it is nowhere.

When I add up all the percents, I am only getting 95%. That is the first issue. The second issue is that we *KNOW* the screen can't be just 5%. And if I just let it sit a long while, with the screen on, the percents do not change.

My conclusion is that they are showing the percentages of everything AFTER they remove the screen power consumption. That is incredibly stupid- since the screen is *aways* going to use more power than anything else, if there is any reasonable screen-on time. Why the hell would they want to hide screen power usage??

Am I missing something?
    Easy Battery Saver is the first app i saw that gave me an accurate percentage for my apps. I see now that my live wallpaper is 26% of the problem and Chrome is another 25.

Mine had terrible battery today. I noticed that the update changed my mobile network back to CDMA/4gLTE when I had previously switched it to CDMA only since 4G is not available in my area (Cincinnati). That helped tremendously so you may want to check that setting.
    Thanked by:

I hope your right cattails, mine has become horrible.

sent from my EVO LTE

I am glad I was not the only one that noticed this. My phone lasted from 6am CST until 9am CST today.

Battery after JB-uploadfromtaptalk1355542871440.jpg I'm not liking this too much.

Legalized Drug Dealer

It takes a while for new stuff to settle in.

Same as when you flash new roms.

Come back in week and we will see where you are.
    -Matt

HTC DNA

Would it be wise or even probable to suggest doing a factory reset after this JB update? That is what was suggested to me and I'm inclined to do it. My battery life has suffered quite a bit using 5-10x more juice than usual for meaningless tasks.

Also as a side note, I use Audio Manager Pro and it would seem to be broken as well. Profiles don't stick to their settings (volume rockers not right). I wrote to the developer and he has only given me basic tips that don't seem to fix anything.

Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charlesspivak1 View Post
    Would it be wise or even probable to suggest doing a factory reset after this JB update? That is what was suggested to me and I'm inclined to do it. My battery life has suffered quite a bit using 5-10x more juice than usual for meaningless tasks.

Also as a side note, I use Audio Manager Pro and it would seem to be broken as well. Profiles don't stick to their settings (volume rockers not right). I wrote to the developer and he has only given me basic tips that don't seem to fix anything.
    It can't really hurt. You will have to go through lots of settings and customizing again, but if you are having problems, it can be a very helpful step to take in troubleshooting. Just be careful re-introducing apps, especially those that are in the family of services and utilities. You might also try the other tips in the thread too (if you have not, already)- like turning off the Connections Optimizer, turning off Google Now, turning OFF the Power Saver (how ironic), etc.

Fortunately, I have not had to factory wipe... my issues are the ones most EVERYONE has with the updates... mostly design choices, not bugs.
    secretmethod70 likes this.

Make sure that if you do go through the process of a hard reset that you turn OFF the new back up settings. If not when you reboot ALL your old apps will autodownload back onto your phone which will stop you from doing them slowly to see which one is giving you the issue.
    secretmethod70 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Hmm, somehow the update enabled my location history in Google maps. I've disabled it now, hoping for better battery life today.

I have been off charger for not even 2 hours and I. Am at 77%. Power usage says that my camera is using 31% of my battery and I've only taken one picture. WTF?

Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNeil View Post
    I have been off charger for not even 2 hours and I. Am at 77%. Power usage says that my camera is using 31% of my battery and I've only taken one picture. WTF?
    If you have not done so already, TURN OFF FASTBOOT then reboot the phone.

Yeah, I never leave fastboot checked. I don't know what it is. I have tried many things, and the battery drop is still much faster than before the update. I was getting around 14-15 hours on a charge before the update. When I first got the phone, around 19 hours. Right now, I have optimizer unchecked, I just this morning turned battery saver off, GPS off, and in Google Now I only have weather turned on.

Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNeil View Post
    Yeah, I never leave fastboot checked. I don't know what it is.
    It is a way to quickly start/stop the phone but without doing a real/full reboot. It caches stuff and pulls things back into memory more quickly. The problem is that people who are having problems and think they are rebooting really are not and some problems can persist through a fastboot. I think HTC made it default ON which is horrible from a support standpoint. Since these newer phones with newer versions of Android boot so quickly now, I don't think the option should even be offered anymore (more negative than positive) or at least the default should be OFF.

I have tried many things, and the battery drop is still much faster than before the update. I was getting around 14-15 hours on a charge before the update. When I first got the phone, around 19 hours. Right now, I have optimizer unchecked, I just this morning turned battery saver off, GPS off, and in Google Now I only have weather turned on.
    After testing with your current config (GPS off, Optimizer off) then try turning off Google Now completely and test. Check your power history after being off the charger for a while, too.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast