Screen shuts off during calls

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
After the JB update I noticed the screen shuts off during calls. Nothing will bring it back on. The accelerator/gyroscope, back, home recent apps or even the power button. This is frustrating as hell especially when you need to use the keyboard during calls. Does anyone know how to fix it or any setting to keep the screen on during calls?

Jon Newman

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
no solution. but I have a similar problem of the screen turning off when I receive or make a call. However if I press power button the screen will turn on. This started after the JB update. Hopefully someone either has a work around, or HTC/Sprint will work on a patch.

crimedog1989

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem as Jon, but mine is intermittent, sometimes it will do it (black screen) but the power button brings it back up. Still have the sensor issues thiugh when it does come back.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Had the same issues, including what everyone was talking about in the other thread: screen turns off after call connects, as well as whenever voicemail plays back (though the issue never pops up when the speaker is on, but that is normal since the proximity sensor is bypassed when the speaker is on). In the thread that Sasha linked to there was a post by Kinolay talking about wiping the cache partition to clear the problem. I was getting so frustrated because if I navigate away from the phone app when on a call and let the screen timeout, I can never get it back on until the call ends. But I can't hang up! The other party has to, and heaven forbid if it's any sort of automated system or someone's voicemail because it takes F O R E V E R for the other party to hang up.

I've done a few hard resets (I always do one before I update and after. But not the lame way - I go full ##786 and force it to re-activate as well. I love a clean install!) and finally wiped the cache the other day. Still had the same issue, though not as bad in brighter light. Took it to Sprint, waited for an hour and I'll be dammed if the guy didn't tell me it was my screen protector. I nearly punched him in the throat! But then I realized he was right. I had the Zagg on there, but only because it was a freebie when I got the phone. I actually hate Zagg. Lo and behold, there was a recall on the original screen protectors because the cutout for the prox sensor was too small. You can see the sensor yourself if you look at it, but shine a flashlight there and you'll actually see the second one right next to it. So I got a new Zagg for free and the cutout is twice as big. No issues whatsoever now with the phone app or the voicemail app.

I know there are still lots of folks that are having the problem that have a naked phone, so I can only surmise that the sensitivity of the prox sensor has been turned up too high, but maybe wiping the cache partition is the solution until HTC pushes a maintenance release.

George Ola

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Just came across a thread that fixed this problem. I can't wait to pass this on. It is a calibration issue. Cover (obstacle) the sensor with your thumb while on a flat surface during calibration. The process last 2 seconds. This fixes the issue with display turn off during calls.
It took me 4 weeks to stumble on the thread. Good luck.

NB: I forgot to mention that you access the calibration: Setting -Display- Calibration

Last edited:

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Just came across a thread that fixed this problem. I can't wait to pass this on. It is a calibration issue. Cover (obstacle) the sensor with your thumb while on a flat surface during calibration. The process last 2 seconds. This fixes the issue with display turn off during calls.
It took me 4 weeks to stumble on the thread. Good luck.

NB: I forgot to mention that you access the calibration: Setting -Display- Calibration

Can you show us this thread? I just tried the calibration so I'll have to wait for calls to come in to see whether or not it works.

Tami Miller

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I was experiencing this same issue with my brand new $900 Note3 (screen shuts off when I receive our make a call)and like a previous poster said,it was because of my screen protector. I was using a Note2 screen protector while waiting for my new Ones to arrive. The was a tiny teeny bit overlapping on the sensor. Anyways,thought I would share jiffy in case anyone else had a similar issue.

ian nys

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
My settings doesn't have the calibration option, what then?

It's freaking me out i can't call without my phone shutting down whenever i move it a little...

phone-user-y0

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
i just fixed this issue
it started when i opened my phone to replace the battery, turns out the proximity sensor has a tiny rubber cover, if it isnt placed properly or on at all then it wont detect the right amount of light, i used AIDA64 to check these sensor readings, when it works properly it shows 5.0 cm and goes to 0.0 when you cover the sensor by the front facing camera, if this cover isn't on properly or completelly removed it shows 0.0cm at all times causing the phone screen to turn off during calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL