Visit site
I just looked and I still don't have any. You might be talking about the One X

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just looked and I still don't have any. You might be talking about the One X

Yes, they're there. They came as part of the Jelly Bean update. Just ticks me off because my current case (Seidio Surface) covers them up.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Wait...what?? Metal contacts in the back cover that came as a part of the jelly bean update? I'm lost...

donntiger

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell me what the metal contacts on the back cover are for?

Those are for the various antennas in the phone.NFC and cellular radios.When you take your cover off you'll notice several metal contacts arrayed around the edges on the back of the phone.look at the back cover and you'll see they align with the metal strips on the cover. This allows for better reception of outgoing and incoming calls and data.Its also why the cover is plastic and not metal like the bottom of the phone.I have a Asus Transformer Prime. It has a lovely all metal back but it has poor GPS and Wi-Fi reception because of it.

donntiger

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, they're there. They came as part of the Jelly Bean update. Just ticks me off because my current case (Seidio Surface) covers them up.

I know phone technology has come a long way but I don't think that can add metal contacts to your phone with a OTA update. Now that would be cool if they could.:D

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Ahh. I misunderstood. Yeah under the plastic cover, all for the radios and such.

Nyboiswagg

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Those are for the various antennas in the phone.NFC and cellular radios.When you take your cover off you'll notice several metal contacts arrayed around the edges on the back of the phone.look at the back cover and you'll see they align with the metal strips on the cover. This allows for better reception of outgoing and incoming calls and data.Its also why the cover is plastic and not metal like the bottom of the phone.I have a Asus Transformer Prime. It has a lovely all metal back but it has poor GPS and Wi-Fi reception because of it.
thanks I've always wondered what they were for every time i took the cover off.

BranLee

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
They are for NFC (near field communications). Almost sure they are not involved with the radios/ reception

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
They are for NFC (near field communications). Almost sure they are not involved with the radios/ reception

They are not for NFC. While the NFC antenna is located in the upper half of the phone, it does not use those contacts.
New%20Skitch.jpg