USB Debugging me ...No more Charge Only?

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking around for answers to this, but I haven't found a definitive answer.

There used to be a time that I could plug my EVO to my laptop and it would present me with the option to "Charge Only." Now, all I get is this..
566859_10151452711245817_2143040216_o.jpg

It also brings up HTC Sync on my laptop. When I uncheck "USB Debugging" within "Developers Options," it seems to only be a temporary solution until it forgets and brings it back. Additionally, It doesn't really seem to be doing a very good job of charging.

Does anyone know of a way to bypass all of these unnecessary steps?

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
When I uncheck "USB Debugging" within "Developers Options," it seems to only be a temporary solution until it forgets and brings it back.

Mine used to do this to, but after factory reset I did (for other issues) USB debugging hasn't come back after turning off developer options first time

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
And when plugging it in, it just charges without doing anything....so it's even easier now because I don't even have to hit "just charge"

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine used to do this to, but after factory reset I did (for other issues) USB debugging hasn't come back after turning off developer options first time

Ugh, i'd hate to go through setting everything back up just to fix this little annoyance.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my EVO L(a)TE using Android Central Forums.

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
And if you hit "usb connected" you will get an option for internet pass through so you can use computer internet for phone data connection which is awesome for being at a computer without available wifi, like I am at work...

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, i'd hate to go through setting everything back up just to fix this little annoyance.

Thanks for the input.

Ya I had no choice, Monday night phone was locking up every time I went from 3g to wifi and back to 3g, had to restart each time, so I reset it, phone is wayyyyy smoother and faster now, and I haven't had a single issue yet.....although I really didn't have any of the major ones before, just think that maybe when they test new OS update they probably start with a clean install, so maybe we all should too?

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Ya I had no choice, Monday night phone was locking up every time I went from 3g to wifi and back to 3g, had to restart each time, so I reset it, phone is wayyyyy smoother and faster now, and I haven't had a single issue yet.....although I really didn't have any of the major ones before, just think that maybe when they test new OS update they probably start with a clean install, so maybe we all should too?

Lol.. Now, i'm on the fence!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
This has already been reported in other threads- both the debugging always showing on, even if turned off, and the no "charge only" option (meaning it WILL immediately connect to the computer, even if you don't want it to).

USB Mass Storage Mode ("Disk Drive") is also completely broken under Linux now (where it used to work fine). Some people reported USB Mass Storage Mode is also broken under other operating systems (I have no direct confirmation of that). MTP Mode ("HTC Sync) is still broken, just like it was before, under Linux.

Not happy? Sent feedback to HTC like I did. See signature line on any of my postings.

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
This has already been reported in other threads- both the debugging always showing on, even if turned off, and the no "charge only" option (meaning it WILL immediately connect to the computer, even if you don't want it to).

USB Mass Storage Mode ("Disk Drive") is also completely broken under Linux now (where it used to work fine). Some people reported USB Mass Storage Mode is also broken under other operating systems (I have no direct confirmation of that). MTP Mode ("HTC Sync) is still broken, just like it was before, under Linux.

Not happy? Sent feedback to HTC like I did. See signature line on any of my postings.

Word. I thought I was just overlooking a simple toggle. Thanks!

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Since my factory reset Monday night, the debugging notification is fixed for me, hasn't popped up anymore, and usb mass storage is working fine on windows computer at work, haven't tried it here at home yet, and I'm loving the internet pass through option at work because there is no wifi and LTE hasn't hit Ct yet...

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone with a REAL HTC Tech and have a reasonable answer for this now.

1) The phone WILL turn on USB debugging mode automatically, even if it is turned off, if it senses there is an issue connecting to the computer. Has something to do with helping to initiate driver detection and installation on the computer side.

2) There is no USB Mass Storage mode at all anymore. "Disk Drive" is now MTP.

3) Although I can use MTP mode on other Android devices under Linux, I still can't with the HTC Evo. Not sure why, though.

4) When I attempt to use HTC "Sync" mode, that apparently uses PTP mode, and my systems detect that, but no pictures are present.

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with a REAL HTC Tech and have a reasonable answer for this now.

1) The phone WILL turn on USB debugging mode automatically, even if it is turned off, if it senses there is an issue connecting to the computer. Has something to do with helping to initiate driver detection and installation on the computer side.

2) There is no USB Mass Storage mode at all anymore. "Disk Drive" is now MTP.

3) Although I can use MTP mode on other Android devices under Linux, I still can't with the HTC Evo. Not sure why, though.

4) When I attempt to use HTC "Sync" mode, that apparently uses PTP mode, and my systems detect that, but no pictures are present.

Well, it's not a fix. But, i can live with confirmation for now. Thanks, crxssi.

PMRR

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem about debugging auto-connecting, but what really worries me is security... If someone steals my phone and plugs it in to a computer with adb, he will have access to all my data specially if the phone is rooted (!)... this is a huge issue for those of us who keep all kind of passwords in the device...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay