Poor signal with PRL 25010

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Is anybody else noticing poor or poorer signal with the PRL 25010?
What ever the previous PRL was it seemed to work well. Sometime this week my service updated with 25010 and i started to notice lower signal in areas that i have always had full signal.
Then on 3 occasions now i have had text messages come all at once..
Example, this morning 11 messages came in all at once. This is bad because where i live is always full bars / great service. For the past few days its been 1 to 3 bars..
Another example. At my office, i get 4G LTE half bars, its been hovering at 1 bar. Then i got an email from someone trying to call me and it goes straight to voice mail. So i called my self using a differnt phone and sure enough.. multiple times it went to voice mail. Power cycling the phone fixed the issue of calls not going thru but i still have what seems to be poorer recieve signal strength.
I did check the back cover and verify its on tight.

Also my data speeds seem slower, on 3G and LTE.. but i would expect this with lower signal anyway, so the two should go hand in hand..

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The only thing PRLs do is help your phone find towers. The only way you would be able to tell if it was the PRL is to find someone with 25009 and the same phone and test it out. Even if it was the PRL it would only affect people in your area which you've failed to give us.

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am in Redford Michigan and my phone is having connection problems also. My prl updated a few days ago,and now my 3G signals are bad. My Internet freezes and phone keeps restarting the 3G connection. I am on stock rom...prl 25010,software version 1.13.6651.1 71ord
Hboot 1.12.000( I didn't want to update because I'm going to root it at some point.

ncfanboy

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing I had a better signal with the previous prl I think

Orlando Florida here

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

bigtank

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I guess yall failed to see his Mavs sweater which would indicate he might be in DFW somehwere...jus sayin...

To the OP, I live out in Keller and work in Las Colinas and haven't really noticed that much of a difference. I think the connection manager in JB has been more of a factor for me which I guess is the solution for having to reset my connection manually to pick up an LTE signal when traveling from area to area

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Is anybody else noticing poor or poorer signal with the PRL 25010?
What ever the previous PRL was it seemed to work well. Sometime this week my service updated with 25010 and i started to notice lower signal in areas that i have always had full signal.
Then on 3 occasions now i have had text messages come all at once..
Example, this morning 11 messages came in all at once. This is bad because where i live is always full bars / great service. For the past few days its been 1 to 3 bars..
Another example. At my office, i get 4G LTE half bars, its been hovering at 1 bar. Then i got an email from someone trying to call me and it goes straight to voice mail. So i called my self using a differnt phone and sure enough.. multiple times it went to voice mail. Power cycling the phone fixed the issue of calls not going thru but i still have what seems to be poorer recieve signal strength.
I did check the back cover and verify its on tight.

Also my data speeds seem slower, on 3G and LTE.. but i would expect this with lower signal anyway, so the two should go hand in hand..

I noticed this last night also. Usually I have 4g over my girl house. Last night I hardly had 3g

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess yall failed to see his Mavs sweater which would indicate he might be in DFW somehwere...jus sayin...

I wasn't picking on him, just saying reception issues are very location specific, not specific just to a PRL.

I used the AC Forums app so his pic is a quarter inch square and the logo on his shirt is about 1/32" of an inch square. Out screens are nice, but not that nice. :p

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Follow up to my original issues. Fixed. I reverted back to PRL 25009 and I am once again happy. LOL
Every Sprint PRL - xda-developers
This thread lists how to do it for us GS3 owners. IT also has several PRLs you can try. For me i wanted to keep it simple so i only kept 25009 and 25010.
Ran a few tests with 25010, the one i have been having problems with and after putting 25009 back on my device my 3G speeds have doubled.
I had a hard time clearing 500k down with bad ping times with 25010. Now that im on 25009 my first 3 speed tests were 1.12, 1.09 and 975k with ping times in the 100ms range.. So much improvement.
Wont know if 4G is better till im at work. I live near down town Dallas and cant get 4G LTE.. but in NE Dallas, near Abrams and Northwest Highway i get solid 4G LTE.. So at work ill know for sure how well the PRL works.. but since i had it before and i know it rocked im happy..

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It would really be nice to know which towers it's directing you to that gives you such a poor signal. Maybe they accidentally deleted towers that are close to you in 25010?

Since you can switch PRLs maybe you could install the Open Signal app and see which towers you connect to with each PRL loaded. Obviously this won't help with anything but explaining what is going on though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos