tell me why jelly is all that

angelodimorte

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I have installed jellybean and can not see what all the excitement is for this update. I am old school, it seems like everyone just wants the newest and greatest level. Please explain to me why jellybean is needed. Yes I have read other threads, and it really does not answer any questions.

Thanks

jimmyg41

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Jelly Bean isn't as big an upgrade as we got from Gingerbread to ICS. Aesthetically you're not going to see a lot of changes and Sense hides a lot of the changes you would have seen in the stock Andriod experience. Honestly, project butter doesn't make a difference to me. Phone was already fast and I don't see a huge difference in transitions/menus/etc. Yes, everyone wants the latest and greatest and there's nothing wrong with that.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Jelly Bean 4.1 was all about project butter, basically creating an android experience with no lag that can go toe to toe with iOS in that area. There were also improved notifications and improvements to Google Now. No update is really "necessary", but without the small improvements we'd still be back with cupcake. It's all about the iterative updates.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
All I wanted was Google now, other than that ICS was just fine.

I have absolutely no interest in Google [Spy] Now at all, although it is a very popular feature. For me, it is primarily all the performance improvements that make Jellybean so desirable.... plus, of course, being more current for longer (meaning better application compatibility). The "bump" feature is nice, too.

84guy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Hold down the home button

Expandable notifications

Project butter

More control over notifications(can turn the ones off that you don't want to see)

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

silvere2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have installed jellybean and can not see what all the excitement is for this update. I am old school, it seems like everyone just wants the newest and greatest level. Please explain to me why jellybean is needed. Yes I have read other threads, and it really does not answer any questions.

Thanks

You're "old school," yet you have one of the most cutting-edge phones on the market. Okay.

- - - Updated - - -

I have absolutely no interest in Google [Spy] Now at all, although it is a very popular feature. For me, it is primarily all the performance improvements that make Jellybean so desirable.... plus, of course, being more current for longer (meaning better application compatibility). The "bump" feature is nice, too.

Dude, Google has been spying on you since before Google Now. Trust me, whether or not you decide to use Google Now makes absolutely no difference in the information they are able to gather about you.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Dude, Google has been spying on you since before Google Now. Trust me, whether or not you decide to use Google Now makes absolutely no difference in the information they are able to gather about you.

Yeah people don't seem to get the concept that something like Google Now exists because they have been "spying" on people for so long in the first place.

Might as well make good use of that "spying" on you since it's happening anyway.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

LOL, that is so true (and yes, I know that)! But it is one thing to do it without really being in your face, and another when it is blatant!

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Just to weigh in on the "spying" thing, just because they have access to all sorts of information about you doesn't mean you're being spied upon. Google has neither the resources or the desire to track and actively spy on everyone.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just to weigh in on the "spying" thing, just because they have access to all sorts of information about you doesn't mean you're being spied upon. Google has neither the resources or the desire to track and actively spy on everyone.

By providing the services they do, they are inherently collecting tons of sensitive information about hundreds of millions of people. And almost none of those people really know all what information. And yes, Google does have the resources.

What matters is what they DO with the data- that separates out if they are "spying" or not.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Look for all the tin foil guys and chicks. If u got info THAT sensitive DON'T USE GOOGLE SERVICES for that trip or whatever.:beer: problem solved personally I love Google now it does help the mobile individual:D

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'll weigh in on this(some of what Iike might be more of a Sense+ thing rather than Jellybean)

Google Now...I really like this feature and use it often.

Project Butter...My phone is much more fluid than before. When both scrolling through menus and apps and when running intense processes.For example the Car App....I use the app every time I get in the car. But I also have a profile written in Tasker that is triggered by the car dock itself. On ICS the programs would very often conflict each other and the autoconnect to bluetooth was a PITA to get to work correctly. Since the update it is very very rare that I have any issues. Also recently I've added another task on top of the previous two by getting Poweramp. So now it's 3 seperate apps fighting for processing at the same time and it works like it's supposed to.

Having the option in the stock rom for no lock screen.

Being able to finally get all of that crap out of my notification bar.

Being able to finally hide all those stock apps in the app drawer that I will never ever use.

Even with Google Now on... my battery life is way better.

The only issues I've gotten from the update is the proximity sensor and an Equalizer app I used to use completely screws my phone up when installed now. For me the positives FAR outweigh the negatives.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
By providing the services they do, they are inherently collecting tons of sensitive information about hundreds of millions of people. And almost none of those people really know all what information. And yes, Google does have the resources.

What matters is what they DO with the data- that separates out if they are "spying" or not.

Yeah, what I'm saying is that they simply don't have the manpower to actually monitor the data they collect from everyone. It's just like how ISP's COULD monitor everything you do, but they don't because it's simply not feasible. Unless you're on the FBI's most wanted or something like that you're not being spied upon.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the camera. It's way nicer swiping from camera to gallery with the two linked in jb. I find that to be a major improvement. Take a pic, or use burst mode, swipe right to see it, pinch to make it a scrollable reel, swipe up to delete unwanted photos.
I usually run aosp roms, so do they not have that on jb sense?

AetherJones

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Look for all the tin foil guys and chicks. If u got info THAT sensitive DON'T USE GOOGLE SERVICES for that trip or whatever.:beer: problem solved personally I love Google now it does help the mobile individual:D

True. I haven't actually Typed a text message since the release. I don't need to add business phone numbers to my contacts either, i just say "call Hungry Howie's" and it works it out. Searches are easy, and i learn about stuff going on near me. I'm addicted to Google Now.

Battery life was my only issue and thats gone except for when i use Audible.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the camera. It's way nicer swiping from camera to gallery with the two linked in jb. I find that to be a major improvement. Take a pic, or use burst mode, swipe right to see it, pinch to make it a scrollable reel, swipe up to delete unwanted photos.
I usually run aosp roms, so do they not have that on jb sense?

They must not as I just tried everything you mentioned and none of it worked. They do have a nice feature where you touch where ever you want the camera to focus on the screen and the camera will focus on that spot and snap a picture.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Being concerned and proactive about security and privacy is not the same as being paranoid or upset about things that are not real. You do realize you are being insulting, don't you?

If the shoe fits wear it bro. IMO u sounded a lil paranoid and like Buddy said above me if u aint a fugitive u straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol