Is rooting and using roms a good thing?

khull808

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
So I am basically a newbie when it comes to being super tech with a smart phone. When I had my OG evo, I just used go launcher to customize my phone.

Now I'm intrigued after joining the forums to root and help save battery life. But I'm also wondering what are the other benefits of rooting or using ROMs?

I'm also scared of bricking my phone. What are you're thoughts?

Sent from my Evo 4g lte using tapatalk 2.

Instagram & EyeEm: kristenhull

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/kristennakasone

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
So I am basically a newbie when it comes to being super tech with a smart phone. When I had my OG evo, I just used go launcher to customize my phone.

Now I'm intrigued after joining the forums to root and help save battery life. But I'm also wondering what are the other benefits of rooting or using ROMs?

I'm also scared of bricking my phone. What are you're thoughts?

Sent from my Evo 4g lte using tapatalk 2.

Instagram & EyeEm: kristenhull

YouTube: Kristen Hull - YouTube

You're going to open up a big can of worms starting a new thread with an open ended question like that. There's already a lot of info on here about rooting and a whole section devoted to it. Check out CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Jelly Bean and just read up

On hear you will get people with convictions both ways and everything in between, there's no right answer

X 0 N 0 D E

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Its a sort of addiction is all I can say. If u are satisfied with what u have...stay away from flashing ROMs. Otherwise, sleepless nights and tiring days ahead for u.

Sent from my DROID RAZR on JB.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Each Rom has its pros and cons. Sometimes they cause things on your phone not to work right or crash. Some can give you better battery life and let you mess with your cpu speed to make your phone run faster. So it's like a risky thing when you mess with rooting and flashing roms but it's dangerous and time consuming if you're a noob at it. Get a pro to do it if you want to root because you can easily brick your phone and turn your $600 beauty into a dead drink coaster in a matter of seconds

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I like to tinker with my electronics quite a bit but I've never screwed any of my phones up too bad. I was hesitant to take the plunge into custom rom's with my Hero but by the time I got my first Evo, I decided to give it a try. It took a little bit of learning (which consists of simply reading instructions and not screwing them up) but it wasn't as tough or as extreme as I had made it out to be.
Add my vote to the "do it" column.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that rooting my phone has been the best decision I've made when it comes to my phones. It wasn't too tough and the roms people are making help the phone out a lot. You can get better battery life and more customization with a rooted phone. I probably wouldn't suggest my mother do it and since I don't know your tech level, I would highly recommend rooting your phone if you are good at following directions and troubleshooting problems. If you can do those things with any sort of proficiency, then I would say do it!

Also, if you are going to do it, utilize the forums here and at XDA for help if you get stuck. Chances are someone has been there before.

Also, for the EVO, I've noticed it works way better on Windows 7, Ubuntu, or OSX. Windows 8 drivers aren't all updated so you'll get stuck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21