Incoming service NONEXISTENT

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
So this is probably the weirdest thing I've ever had happen to any phone I've had. Maybe someone can shed some light on it.

So my phone wont take calls or text messages, like at all. I can make out going calls and text just fine. but for me to get texts back, I have to call something.. like my voice mail and get a connection and then I will get a back log of texts. Data works great.
I call sprint, and they wanted to push it off as a network vision outage. I made her feel pretty dumb, when I explained to her... THAT I'M ON THE PHONE WITH HER JUST FINE. She was very confused after that. But pretty much they told me, they would put a ticket in and do a follow up. Which means.. they are sitting and waiting for the problem to just go away. They said I would get a call back on saturday... I don't know how, since incoming calls are not working.
Things I've tried. profile/prl updates. Factory reset. Full RUU backup. Non rooted..

It was working better the other day, when I had google voice linked to my number.. but I thought maybe it was google voice that screwed it up. so I unlinked it.. and now since it wants to call my phone to link it.. I can't link it back.. I screwed up there... :(

If anyone has anything I should try.. please chime in

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Your not alone.
This started with me around the end of December when i had someone email me asking if i was OK. They would call and it goes straight to VM.
I did some testing of my own and sure enough NO incoming calls or text. Data works fine, outgoing calls ok outgoing texts ok.
To fix it i have to do like you, make an outgoing call, airplane mode, or power cycle.
I do have several network tickets open. Sprint opened up network tickets based on my work location and home location since these problems have happened at different locations and different times.
THe most recent was this morning, 7am woke up, used my work ATT phone to call my personal Sprint phone. Straight to VM. Called my ATT phone and within 2 minutes i had 4 texts that came in shorlty after midnight.
Then at 930am i tested again, same thing straight to VM.
It happens at random times, and goes days with out happening.
Im in Dallas, TX.. Where are you located at?

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Your not alone.
This started with me around the end of December when i had someone email me asking if i was OK. They would call and it goes straight to VM.
I did some testing of my own and sure enough NO incoming calls or text. Data works fine, outgoing calls ok outgoing texts ok.
To fix it i have to do like you, make an outgoing call, airplane mode, or power cycle.
I do have several network tickets open. Sprint opened up network tickets based on my work location and home location since these problems have happened at different locations and different times.
THe most recent was this morning, 7am woke up, used my work ATT phone to call my personal Sprint phone. Straight to VM. Called my ATT phone and within 2 minutes i had 4 texts that came in shorlty after midnight.
Then at 930am i tested again, same thing straight to VM.
It happens at random times, and goes days with out happening.
Im in Dallas, TX.. Where are you located at?

I'm in Chicago. It just started doing this.. I think I'm going to make the hop to GS3. I've been waiting for some news from sprint, who didn't even call me. I love HTC, software and hardware wise. but this phone marks the end.. it started off on the wrong foot at customs.. and it ended with no timely updates. Now this, I don't know who to blame. But, I think HTC is a sinking ship... sad to say. But I'm just sick of this constant issues if its not this, its that.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Chicago. It just started doing this.. I think I'm going to make the hop to GS3. I've been waiting for some news from sprint, who didn't even call me. I love HTC, software and hardware wise. but this phone marks the end.. it started off on the wrong foot at customs.. and it ended with no timely updates. Now this, I don't know who to blame. But, I think HTC is a sinking ship... sad to say. But I'm just sick of this constant issues if its not this, its that.

Sounds pretty bad. Maybe swap out your phone at a store.

(How is the customs thing htc's fault? It was an injunction), also we got the jb update before the one x on att, they are moving faster than moto or sony.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
It HTC fault for coping the patent in the first place. but I'm not starting a convo on that. I was just saying it was doomed from the start. the contact issue was a major pain, and it didn't see a minor update to fix that. that was a big joke.. to let that sit like that just showed very little thought is going into this phone from HTC and sprint

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It HTC fault for coping the patent in the first place. but I'm not starting a convo on that. I was just saying it was doomed from the start. the contact issue was a major pain, and it didn't see a minor update to fix that. that was a big joke.. to let that sit like that just showed very little thought is going into this phone from HTC and sprint

I agree contacts was a pain. I fixed it by un syncing Facebook. That didn't work for everyone though.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

GS3 wont help. I have a them both. It still does it no matter what device i use.
Most of the week i was using the EVO LTE.. it happend several times this week. I went to my GS3 Saturday and the next day at my office it happened again. This was after the network trouble ticket was closed due to it not happening at work since Tuesday.
So to re-cap, the GS3 and EVO LTE are both suffering from what i think is a Network issue where incoming calls and texts dont make it to the phone.
Sad to see its also afffecting a user in Chicago. I was hoping you were in Dallas, at least that would make it a localized network issue. FYI, after the updates my GS3 has worse battery life.. EVO LTE is kicking strong, I am back on my EVO LTE again, till i decide once and for all to port to TMO.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
GS3 wont help. I have a them both. It still does it no matter what device i use.

Interesting. Could it somehow be something with your Google account? Would be interesting to have some else try a different device running Jelly Bean to see if the problem follows them. Although there have been people who get a new device and the problem goes away.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
My Google Voice services are not integrated.
The service problem i am having is with my actual Sprint number, the same number i have had for 10 years.
My google voice number is separate. So this isnt a google or google voice issue. For me its all a sprint / network issue.

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
My Google Voice services are not integrated.
The service problem i am having is with my actual Sprint number, the same number i have had for 10 years.
My google voice number is separate. So this isnt a google or google voice issue. For me its all a sprint / network issue.

First thank you for making me feel better about the EVO. I really don't want to go with samsung. But I ended up going to the store. the guy seemed puzzled as to how I can't get incoming calls/texts. he said let me check and see if anyone in your account set it up that way. of course, I'm the head person on my account so I know I didn't set such a thing. But, as the guy was doing his thing with the phone some chick came in with the same phone and said, she wasnt getting any call or texts.. but she could make them just fine. so I don't know what to think anymore. the worst thing is, that I have people with the samsung in the same place as me and everything seems ok with them. I guess when i get my phone back I will see... by far the weirdest thing I've ever encountered

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Well i have 1 network ticket open for my residence and 1 network ticket for my office that was closed Saturday, but Sunday the problem came back. I have spoken to 2 people at sprint whom in my opinion are in the network center and are the right ones to figure this out. They do agree this is an odd issue creeping up and they are working on it.
I told them to note on my account that Friday the 11th, i started my 14 day trial with TMobile and if i cant get 5 straight days of good data and all my incoming calls / texts i am switching service. The bad data has been going on for a month and the incoming call/text issue has been going on since December 20th..
They told me they didnt need to note that but i told them to note it so when they try to collect an ETF out of me i can reference these network problems and show they are in violation of their own contract to provide me with specific services.
Being a Sprint customer for 10 years i dont take these failures lightly.
I have also had more phone calls into Sprint due to these issues in the past few weeks then i have had in the past 3 or 4 years combined.. SO its a huge issue..

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Well i have 1 network ticket open for my residence and 1 network ticket for my office that was closed Saturday, but Sunday the problem came back. I have spoken to 2 people at sprint whom in my opinion are in the network center and are the right ones to figure this out. They do agree this is an odd issue creeping up and they are working on it.
I told them to note on my account that Friday the 11th, i started my 14 day trial with TMobile and if i cant get 5 straight days of good data and all my incoming calls / texts i am switching service. The bad data has been going on for a month and the incoming call/text issue has been going on since December 20th..
They told me they didnt need to note that but i told them to note it so when they try to collect an ETF out of me i can reference these network problems and show they are in violation of their own contract to provide me with specific services.
Being a Sprint customer for 10 years i dont take these failures lightly.
I have also had more phone calls into Sprint due to these issues in the past few weeks then i have had in the past 3 or 4 years combined.. SO its a huge issue..

Don't worry I'm with you. I have 4 lines, been with them for 5 years. When I told them, I was going to start looking for other carriers and that I was going to be calling about getting rid of the ETF. She told me that wouldn't apply because that only applies to not having service. I snapped.. I'm like 30 seconds ago you told me that was the issue! So is it or isn't it. Then I told her, you know what put me through to your supervisor... her already being a supervisor was like, well that requires a call back. I'm like set that up for me. She was like sure, I can do that. About 5 mins went by, she came back and told me. Here is what we can do for you, we can bump up your line to an early upgrade, at no cost to you. I was like WTH are you talking about... First just because its early doesn't me I don't have to go purchase the phone.. and second of all.. did you run off and leave me on hold to schedule a call back with your supervisor, not to give me this useless information which doesnt do me any good. She was stupid, I mean does that work.. was I just going to forget what you set off to do.. because you add the words no cost to you? lol she set the call back in seconds after that... bad enough network issues have been a big deal for the last year.. I don't need the added crap from these CS reps

TEEMILL

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I understand leaving Sprint but leaving them for t mobile? That's insane there biggest competition was metro pcs which is y there merging the 2 companies I had t mobile for 4 years there is a reason why there in 4th place there service is horrible people pay for what u get if u pay cheap u get cheap performance out ur service ur better off going to Verizon or AT&T I don't understand people's ways of thinking u want to pay little to nothing for stuff knowing there is a more expensive and efficient brand or service out there and yet they choose the cheaper service only to complain about how crapy it is smh

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

top magoo

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
i take the train from fort worth to dallas daily, listening to pandora the entire way, and have noticed there were some dead zones at certain places that seemed to be shrinking until recently. over the last couple of weeks, my pandora will drop and i'll get a group of messages that came in while going through a dead zone.

i don't think it's hardware related (phone itself), i think the prl update was faulty.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I understand leaving Sprint but leaving them for t mobile? That's insane there biggest competition was metro pcs which is y there merging the 2 companies I had t mobile for 4 years there is a reason why there in 4th place there service is horrible people pay for what u get if u pay cheap u get cheap performance out ur service ur better off going to Verizon or AT&T I don't understand people's ways of thinking u want to pay little to nothing for stuff knowing there is a more expensive and efficient brand or service out there and yet they choose the cheaper service only to complain about how crapy it is smh

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
Like with Real estate its all about location.
There is a reason why the carriers give you a 14 day buyers remorse promise. Im fully taking advantage of that. And after 4 days of testing im convinced that my Residence, Work and a few places in between (90% of where i spend my life at so far) have great coverage and service. There is actually a thread on TMO coverage in Dallas Fort Worth that i just added some info to. Ill copy and paste here since it has some relevance.. Now in reply to your comment about you get what you pay for. I dont necessarily think that applies here.. I have been paying about 85 a month with sprint for 500 minutes and unlimited data/text and for the past month i am randomly not able to get calls or text. With TMO the very same plan is 10 bucks cheaper, and they are giving me a 15% discount. Why am i NOT looking at ATT or Verizon, ill tell you why. I dont want a data cap.. I dont want to spend more then i have to as a consumer to meet my needs. I also dont travel outside the country, state or heck for that matter to far from where i live. I am co-owner of a start up company and i dont plan on taking vacations or traveling for the next year or so.. So i dont need to pay for nationwide coverage.
If the TMO coverage is good enough for me for where i live, work and do other stuff around those locations i could care less that they dont have coverage where you had issues, or in other parts of the country. Im happy with the service i am getting now with the testing i have done. I also live in a major metropolitan area, Dallas, and lets face it, TMO does have good coverage in the top 200 markets.

"For the testing i have done in the areas i go in Dallas, i would also have to agree that coverage, signal, and DL speeds are pretty darn good. Technically i was ONLY comparing my Sprint service to TMO but i wanted to make it interested so i added one of my ATT work lines to the mix. I went to a GS2 for ATT to make the testing fair. Afterall the GS2 uses HSDAP while the GS3 uses LTE.
Side by side of the TMO and ATT HSDPA network ive found that signal is about the same (again where i tend to travel in Dallas) and TMO on 75% of the time has better speeds then ATT.
But whats odd is TMO has some crazy ping times, they are either under 100 or hover around 600-800ms. Even when they are high the throughput is still good. So guess i really cant complain there."

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana