Jelly Bean Update and Root Questions - Reply as if I am an idiot, please!

revrob330

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Okay,

Stupid set of questions, I am sure they are covered in here, but I can't seem to find them with some searching.

I am running the original software on the phone. I rooted early on (and I am double stupid, and can't remember what method I used).
I know that S-on and S-off are important, but I don't know the difference, and I don't know how to check it.
(I have root mainly for back-up purposes - Titanium backup.)

I am running:
Android 4.0.3
HTC Sense 4.0
Software Rev 1.13.651.1 710RD
HTC SDK API Level 4.20
PRI ver. 2.28_003
PRL ver. 25010

My questions are:
1.) How can I find out if I am S-on or S-off?
2.) Can I upgrade to JB without losing root?
2a.) Can I use something Voodoo OTA rootkeeper?
3.) If I lose root, are there methods to get it back?
4.) Is there a root-safe version of this (The sense version of JB) out there?

I am mostly a novice/noob in regards to rooting/flashing ROMs and such, so please factor that in.
Feel free to simply post a link if this has been asked and answered in here already.

Thanks!

:-[

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
S on and off refer to whether the bootloader is locked or unlocked which governs exactly what you can and can't do when flashing ROMs, radios, etc...
Getting S-Off is a really simple process, you just have a run a script like you did during the root process. It can be found over at xda, should be a sticky. As for upgrading to JB you should be able to. If you use the official OTA you're going to loose root. But you can flash the update via one of the many Roms. There is a stock ROM (also at xda) that you can flash with s-off if you want to stay totally stock other than root. What I'd recommend is flashing MeanBean. The developer for it is one of the fastest and most dedicated I've seen for bugfixes and despite integrating battery and speed tweaks it maintains a nearly stock look. Better yet, he has a version you can flash s-on.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech