Sprint tech suggested S3 to replace my Evo LTE...

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking about a factory reset hoping it might fix some of the problems I've had with mine after the Jelly Bean update. But it's getting irritating. I'm in the same boat if I were to switch. Cases and the awsome car doc I have for it and I use that daily.

I reset my phone 3 different times to no avail. Still has problems.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You know i'm a HTC guy all the way, But the LTE was a great phone at launch. Every update HTC came out with made the worse than what it was. Face it guys HTC needs to get it together until then there will alot of people jumping ship.Here it is almost a year later and they dont have the phone work out yet, it's even rumored that its discontinued

bdecastro77

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
It's nothing to me. But you posted yesterday that you didn't know which one to choose and today you're posting you've had it for two days.

Dude, if you must know, I had both phones when i posted on the 27th (2 days ago). Received the S3 on the evening of the 26th.. Wasn't sure if I should send my EVO back or the S3... So I was seeking others opinions on the matter. Clown

Cash Money Castro

Last edited:

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm having all kinds of issues w/ my EVO but I hate taking it to a Sprint store and I've reset it like 3 times already.

What was the process you had to go through before they offered to give you an S3 to try out? I am so desperate... even in areas with 4G my damn phone never connects, URG.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That's fuged up my gnex connects to lte perfect especially with the new 4.2 radio. I'm in Chicago BTW

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

bdecastro77

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm having all kinds of issues w/ my EVO but I hate taking it to a Sprint store and I've reset it like 3 times already.

What was the process you had to go through before they offered to give you an S3 to try out? I am so desperate... even in areas with 4G my damn phone never connects, URG.

I just called tech support and told them they need to send me a new phone because of all the issues the EVO is having.. Told the guy that I had already been through resetting and troubleshooting to no avail.. He offered a new EVO, but suggested the S3 instead because it was an option on their list. I requested the S3. He said I would need to send the EVO back to them in return. Also said if I didn't like the S3, I could send it back and try another EVO.
Good luck

Cash Money Castro

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Nearly all Samsung's stuff feels like a toy, it's plastic, and cheap feeling plastic at that. They have a reputation for that. There's also making some of the plastic look like metal, that's like fake wood paneling on the Atari 2600 back in the 70's, it's tacky.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

So you don't really have an issue with the build quality just the materials its built out of....

Interesting.

If you don't like plastic on phones all of a sudden so be it but the phone has a great build

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Thats been one of the issues with the Evo LTE is the connection to lte, Sprint knew it when they released it hoping to have it fixed by the time LTE went online.

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I swear I thought I was going crazy.

I am sitting next to my girlfriend who also has Sprint connected to LTE and my damn phone is on 3G! I have the newest baseband, PRL, everything and nada.

I called Sprint and they said I could try out an S3... I really love the screen and other things about the EVOLTE so this will be tough... If the S3 connects to LTE in places the EVO didn't I am just going to send it back and hope HTC puts out a decent device when I am eligible for an upgrade next.

Thanks for the advice! I am sitting over here frustrated at a phone that doesn't work properly and come to find out I had options.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
So you don't really have an issue with the build quality just the materials its built out of....

Interesting.

If you don't like plastic on phones all of a sudden so be it but the phone has a great build

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
I think the materials it's made out of are the definition of build quality. I feel the same way. It's a nice phone, don't get me wrong. My wife loves hers and I've played around with it a ton. The build quality is 10X better than the Galaxy S and the GSII, but I prefer HTC. I like the feel of their phones and the weight and balance of them. But that's all it is - a preference.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I think the materials it's made out of are the definition of build quality. I feel the same way. It's a nice phone, don't get me wrong. My wife loves hers and I've played around with it a ton. The build quality is 10X better than the Galaxy S and the GSII, but I prefer HTC. I like the feel of their phones and the weight and balance of them. But that's all it is - a preference.

Build quality is how well its built, how prone to failure, do ports stop working? Does the screen get non responsive?

HTC's phones are typically the best screens and the best materials after apple but the build quality typically lacks

I work at a verizon kiosk and the main phones people have and are pissed off about are htc phones. The batteries are built like crap because they don't hold a good charge for long (customers already complaining about the DNA and it's battery life), screens die off, charging ports stop working at random, I've even seen ports break off inside phones due to a poor soldering job. But I guess those phones have great build quality because they bare made out of better material?

I loved my evo but the build quality just wasn't there

But I'm not telling you to like another phone over another, we all have opinions and I respect them a

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Build quality is how well its built, how prone to failure, do ports stop working? Does the screen get non responsive?

HTC's phones are typically the best screens and the best materials after apple but the build quality typically lacks

I work at a verizon kiosk and the main phones people have and are pissed off about are htc phones. The batteries are built like crap because they don't hold a good charge for long (customers already complaining about the DNA and it's battery life), screens die off, charging ports stop working at random, I've even seen ports break off inside phones due to a poor soldering job. But I guess those phones have great build quality because they bare made out of better material?

I loved my evo but the build quality just wasn't there...
You're correct. It's not just the materials, it's how well they're put together. I believe HTC knocks it out of the park consistently. Not every time, but consistently. Samsung just doesn't. It seems they've turned a corner with the GS3 and that's great. I'm glad, really. But let's not pretend that's always been the case. It has actually never been the case until now. The original S on Sprint was not great. The S2 was the worst phone I have ever dealt with. The screen problems are so prevalent on the S2 they created a swap-out kit for in-store techs so they wouldn't need to be sent in for repair. Between those 2 devices, I've swapped them out 10 times for hardware issues (once for a camera software issue on the original S series). That's Samsung build quality. And it's piss poor. The GS3 doesn't seem to have those kind of issues, so it seems like Sammy is making progress. As long as you don't count the mainboard "sudden death" failures.

HTC isn't perfect either. They've had some hardware problems, sure. Who hasn't? But I've owned HTC devices exclusively for myself (the Samsung phones were my wife's and now my son's) for over 6 years. I had to swap out my OG EVO once for a failure of the capacitive buttons. I swapped out my TouchPro 2 for a mechanical issue with the slider. That's it. Two swaps for hardware issues. There were two others for software issues. If I add them all together I can use one hand and have a finger left over. If I have to swap out another Sammy I have to start using toes to count. Most of HTC's issues tend to be software related, including the dreaded proximity sensor issue since the JB update. That doesn't mean they are small issues. But the physical build of an HTC device is sturdier. It's tighter. It's beefier. I don't need to put a case on it. I've dropped it several times and it has a couple dents in the aluminum. My wife dropped her GS3 before she bought a case for it and holy crap did it tear up the back of that phone. The build and design of the One series has been lauded by tons of sites, big and small, over the S3. The OG EVO was practically a work of art. The 3D was built like a brick poopie-house. I like to know what's out there so I pay attention to all of the devices and I play with all of them as much as I can. Even the OneX and the DNA, and I can't get those on Sprint. LG, Moto, Sammy, Sony... hell, I even pay attention to what Pantech and Kyocera are doing! If you want to talk software, that's another issue (Sammy killed it with the GS3). I don't consider battery life as part of a build quality. Most manufacturers get their batteries from the same places in China. Battery life has become more an issue of screen usage and efficient software design. But since you brought it up, I get the same battery usage as my wife on her GS3 (which she loves, especially compared to the 4-6 hours she would get on her GS2), but I use mine twice as much as she does. I run my business from this phone so I text, call and email all day long. Right now I'm at 20 hours, with 19% remaining. That includes 2 hours of calls on a BT headset, 1 hour of Pitfall (sweet Jesus I love that game), a half hour of Asphalt 6, a little web browsing, an hour and a half of GPS and navigation to get to a vendor in Long Beach and a couple dozen emails and texts, though it was plugged in for half an hour yesterday afternoon while I was transferring data on a client's PC.

Ron Zombie

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset and it didn't help at all!

I've been thinking about a factory reset hoping it might fix some of the problems I've had with mine after the Jelly Bean update. But it's getting irritating. I'm in the same boat if I were to switch. Cases and the awsome car doc I have for it and I use that daily.

kmarx

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
This is my first HTC phone. I really like the way this phone is built. I had the Samsung Epic before this phone and it was a nightmare with software issues so I wanted to go HTC.

Before Jelly Bean was released I was exchanged into a Galaxy SIII and I didnt like the feel of the phone compared to my EVO LTE so I was able to swap back because they didnt tell me the day after the exchange Jelly Bean was released. So have the EVO back which I really love.. But its still buggy with data issues.. I have an option to go back to Samsung GSIII and I am not sure what to do. HTC cant get sense notes. on here. or a full version of polaris office. The EVO is just a much better built phone it seems to me. I am not sure what to do because of the date issues..