Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Starting Sunday, when I press the power button to wake the phone up, sometimes the screen doesn't come on. This is the first issue I've had with my Evo, but I'm really leery of going the Spring refurb POS route. I hate to shell out a few hundred dollars to go to the S3, but I know how high quality the Spring/Asurion refurbs are (went through 5 Pre's in less than a year).

I'd like to know:

1- What is the root cause for the failure I appear to be experiencing? It seems if I squeeze the phone it will start to work again (press screen and back together).

2- Those of you with refurb phones, are they decent?

3- Any other suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance!

bdecastro77

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If your with sprint.. Go through tech support not insurance and tell them your tired of all the issues your having with the EVO and that you would like an S3 instead.. They should switch you out at no cost
Tis what I did... Not looking back either
Besides, the sprint rep said they were discontinuing the EVO LTE

Cash Money Castro

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Was your S3 new or refurb? I'm cautious of any of the Sprint refurb junk because of past issues. Also, this is the first issue I've had with it, aside from the bugs we all deal with in JB. I'm going to back up everything on the phone, then try a reset. If that doesn't work I'll be on the phone with tech support.

bdecastro77

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Technically it is a refurb... However, dude told me that all of the S3 refurbs were brand new... Just that they were opened. Also told me that all of their refurbished phones have to pass same guidelines as new phones... Including NO scratches. Said if I was unsatisfied to just call immediately and they would send a new one. The one they sent me had been opened before, but looks completely brand new

Cash Money Castro

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't go by the Palm Pre as far as refurbs are concerned. The hardware for that phone was garbage as far as reliability in the first place. You would have gone through five new ones in the same time span.

I'm on my second refurb Evo (due to accidents, not defects) and I had zero problems with either hardware-wise. I think you're just as likely to get a lemon brand new right out of the box as you are with a refurb.

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Technically it is a refurb... However, dude told me that all of the S3 refurbs were brand new... Just that they were opened. Also told me that all of their refurbished phones have to pass same guidelines as new phones... Including NO scratches. Said if I was unsatisfied to just call immediately and they would send a new one. The one they sent me had been opened before, but looks completely brand new

Cash Money Castro

You just asked for the S3 once they determined your Evo had a problem?

I'm basing my thoughts on refurbs from my family's experience. My sister's 3D refurb is junk and has an issue with portions of the screen not responding, my dad had a Zio that died sitting on the counter and the refurb did the same thing, and my mom had four BB Curve's, all of which went dead and would not come back. This is my first hardware issue with an HTC phone, but with that history (my parents are easy on their phones and don't use them much) I think you can see why I'm a little hesitant.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding when a phone is refurbished all the insides are essentially brand new. They do use some of the parts on the phone cosmetically.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Cash Money Castro

I had gotten a refurbished 3D last year with scratches all over it, including the screen, but they didn't care and wouldn't replace it.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

bdecastro77

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I had gotten a refurbished 3D last year with scratches all over it, including the screen, but they didn't care and wouldn't replace it.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

Maybe they determine what to send depending on how old the device being replaced is

Cash Money Castro

bdecastro77

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You just asked for the S3 once they determined your Evo had a problem?

I'm basing my thoughts on refurbs from my family's experience. My sister's 3D refurb is junk and has an issue with portions of the screen not responding, my dad had a Zio that died sitting on the counter and the refurb did the same thing, and my mom had four BB Curve's, all of which went dead and would not come back. This is my first hardware issue with an HTC phone, but with that history (my parents are easy on their phones and don't use them much) I think you can see why I'm a little hesitant.

Just asked and that was that

Cash Money Castro

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Today it's getting worse. I'm starting to think now the issue is software related. I've had issues all day with the phone locking up for no apparent reason. Tried restarting the phone, no luck. Removed all photos and downloads, no change. Getting closer to doing a reset, but frustrated more and more. I'll have to make a decision tomorrow to take it to Sprint or bite the bullet on a new phone.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Today it's getting worse. I'm starting to think now the issue is software related. I've had issues all day with the phone locking up for no apparent reason. Tried restarting the phone, no luck. Removed all photos and downloads, no change. Getting closer to doing a reset, but frustrated more and more. I'll have to make a decision tomorrow to take it to Sprint or bite the bullet on a new phone.

It's probably the power button.

Run it to a Sprint store and have them check it.

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It was working good after I deleted a few apps and disabled the Connections Optimizer. Then, about a half hour ago it wouldn't come back on. Gonna make a call to Sprint here shortly once I get home.

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've tried doing the simulated battery pull, which causes the buttons to flash, then restart. The phone shows no LED indication when plugged into USB or AC charger, and is off constantly. I cannot get it back to a somewhat working state. Tech support had nothing, only suggested I go into the store tomorrow.

bdecastro77

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You have to tell them that you have been through all of that already and your not getting anywhere... Demand another phone.. Of course they will try other recourse if the option is available

Cash Money Castro

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Ended up with a refurb Evo. They wouldn't let me get a different model. So far I've noticed this phone has worse 3G reception than the phone it replaced. Tried a PRL update but no change in signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2