Force Update/Upgrade?

3ball

Sep 24, 2010
www.showdownpokergear.com
My EVO is a couple of updates behind, but checking for them doesn't find any. I am not rooted. Is there a simple method for getting my phone to find updates?

Current version:
Andriod 4.0.4
Software 2.13.651.1 710RD

Thanks.

SlackBlade

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Got Settings, System Updates. You can check Firmware, Profile, PRL, and HTC Software.

I updated a day ago to Firmware version 3.16.651.3 7510RD.
Android 4.1.1

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried clearing the data from Google Services Framework? If not:

Settings > Apps > All > Google Services Framework > Clear Data

It may help. Though I bet a true hard reset would do the trick. I always hard reset before and after a major update, but that's just me.

3ball

Sep 24, 2010
I gave that a shot, but no luck. I've been holding out hope that I wouldn't have to reformat, but it's looking like I may have to. I never really like to just because my contacts are always such a mess between Exchange and Google. Oh well.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any Exchange contacts to worry about, but my Google contacts used to be a mess as well. Now I just fix them on my computer and let them sync to the phone. I was looking for the RUU so you could download it and run it yourself. I tried a bunch of different links that didn't work or downloaded incorrectly, so you may be ass-out. I know it was up at HTCRUU.com, but if you've been reading the front page of AC lately you know that HTC shut them down. I wish I could be more help.

edilee012

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried clearing the data from Google Services Framework? If not:

Settings > Apps > All > Google Services Framework > Clear Data

It may help. Though I bet a true hard reset would do the trick. I always hard reset before and after a major update, but that's just me.

I did this and now I cannot download anything from the google play store The error says " Update for (name of app) could not be downloaded due to an error.(Error retrieving information from server.[RPC:S-5:AEC-0])". I did manually update my voicemail app since I was unaware it had to be updated seperately and it said it could not connect to finish setting up and not sure if it works or not...not sure which thing I did first. Any ideas? I did going to Google Play on PC and selecting apps to install there but they are not coming through to my phone.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I did this and now I cannot download anything from the google play store The error says " Update for (name of app) could not be downloaded due to an error.(Error retrieving information from server.[RPC:S-5:AEC-0])". I did manually update my voicemail app since I was unaware it had to be updated seperately and it said it could not connect to finish setting up and not sure if it works or not...not sure which thing I did first. Any ideas? I did going to Google Play on PC and selecting apps to install there but they are not coming through to my phone.

This happened to me on my NS4G when trying to push 4.1.1. No one warns you that this error is possible, and it doesn't happen to everyone who does it, but if it happens to you, you're stuck until the new update finally hits your phone. When I finally got the update, all was good. There are some workarounds that involve flashing, but you might as well just keep checking for the update, it will come through soon. Good luck.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

3ball

Sep 24, 2010
I don't have any Exchange contacts to worry about, but my Google contacts used to be a mess as well. Now I just fix them on my computer and let them sync to the phone. I was looking for the RUU so you could download it and run it yourself. I tried a bunch of different links that didn't work or downloaded incorrectly, so you may be ass-out. I know it was up at HTCRUU.com, but if you've been reading the front page of AC lately you know that HTC shut them down. I wish I could be more help.

Thanks for checking, it's greatly appreciated. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go for the full factory reset. If that doesn't work get it to recognize the available updates, I'm just going to steal my wife's phone because she doesn't care that there are updates. haha

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I did this and now I cannot download anything from the google play store...
Try wiping the cache partition of your phone. You need to enter recovery mode, clear the cache, then restart.

Factory reset done, still nothing available for updates. Um, what? What is jacked up with my phone that it is a couple of updates behind and just can't catch up?
Other than taking it to a Sprint repair center and seeing if they have the ability to run the RUU on your phone, I don't know what to advise. If you have already reset the phone I would suggest doing a REAL hard reset using the ##786# menu. Get your MSL because you will need it after you get into the menu. You'll hit "menu" and then "reset". It's basically a hard-hard-reset. Your phone will actually have to reactivate with the network, so it will take a few minutes. You may want to follow the advice I gave to edilee012 above, first. It's a little quicker.

Get to RECOVERY:
- Power off the phone.
- Press and hold VOL DOWN while tapping and releasing POWER , continuing to hold VOL DOWN. This gets you to the HBOOT menu. Release the VOL button.
- In the menu, scroll down to highlight "RECOVERY", using the VOLUME button.
- Press POWER to select "RECOVERY" (now you'll see the white HTC splash screen for several seconds, then a screen with a red exclamation point inside of a red triangle).
- Once the red triangle appears, hold VOL UP and press POWER. Another menu pops up, in blue.
- In the new menu, scroll down to highlight "wipe cache partition" using the VOL button.
- Press POWER to select "wipe cache partition".
- After the wipe "reboot system now" should be highlighted. Press POWER to select it.

Hope this helps.

edilee012

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks BigDinCA...I did what you said and still nothing. Had to do a reset on the phone and voivemail and downloads from Google Play.

It really seems to me that either HTC or Google need to step up their game since everytime there is an update parts of the phone stop working...this is not acceptable in any software environment. I have the progress down now and can have phone back up in 45 minutes with most of my info saved but I do still lose progress in some apps.

3ball

Sep 24, 2010
No luck. Thanks for trying though, I do appreciate it.

I have a trouble ticket open with HTC. They had me try a couple of things, but want me to wait a couple of days to see if it will show up. Never mind that the Jellybean update from December still isn't available for me either. Ugh.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
No luck. Thanks for trying though, I do appreciate it.

I have a trouble ticket open with HTC. They had me try a couple of things, but want me to wait a couple of days to see if it will show up. Never mind that the Jellybean update from December still isn't available for me either. Ugh.
GOOD NEWS! The htcruu.com issue has been resolved, so it appears that you can now download the RUU (ROM Update Utility) for the JB release and install it directly.

Directory listing of http://androidfiles.org/ruu/Jewel

This is a list of all official releases for the phone. Don't let the link fool you - our device is code named "Jewel". The one from last week isn't available yet, but should be shortly. Click the link and find the version you want (the last one is 3.15.651.16, the JB update released in December). It's a slow download, but it is the official ROM and no rooting is required to install it. Hopefully, once installed, you can pull the update from last week as well. I don't know the guy who hosts it, but I've donated a few bucks for his troubles. If you read Phil's editorial from Sunday (link at the top of the AC front page) you'll see that the guy has been through quite a lot just to host the RUU files at all. You can donate a few bucks if you'd like, but you do not have to. It's all free. I did, but only because I'm an HTC guy and I know that I'll have need for those RUUs in the future.

It's a simple executable file you run on your PC. Follow the on-screen instructions, plug in your phone and BAM! Jelly Bean!

3ball

Sep 24, 2010
Wow, I can't even do that! The ROM Update Utility cannot connect to your Android phone. I think there is clearly something wrong with my device. Thanks again, but it appears more and more likely that I am doomed. lol

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I can't even do that! The ROM Update Utility cannot connect to your Android phone. I think there is clearly something wrong with my device. Thanks again, but it appears more and more likely that I am doomed. lol
I tried and got the same thing. If you have HTC Sync installed, uninstall it and the MTP driver it loads (both will be in the Add/Remove Programs list in Windows). You need to install HTC Sync Manager. Then when you plug in your phone it will install the correct drivers. It may take a few attempts to get all of the drivers loaded. I had to turn off USB debugging after a couple failed to load. Then I changed the USB File Sharing to Disk Drive. All of that was through the notification bar. But those are the required drivers for the phone. Run the RUU again and you should be set.