Not impressed - LTE in Dallas

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Here on a business trip. Connected to LTE and speeds aren't any different than I get on 3g in San Diego! I'm along the I-20 in Duncanville.

bigtank

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So you were at Cheddars or Chilis...Lemme clarify...that isnt Duncanville....Its Oak Cliff....and just like any metropolitan hood it will be upgraded dead last....Now with that behind us I agree with your greater point...LTE here is DFW is spotty at best. For a launch market you would be surprised of how non existent it was initially. Slowly that is starting to change. I've been seeing more coverage on LTE little by little

Idahoktm

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Super impressed with 4G speeds in Chicago!

LTEORD.png

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Here on a business trip. Connected to LTE and speeds aren't any different than I get on 3g in San Diego!

Then you must be really lucky in San Diego.

Meanwhile I am trapped with Sprint "3G" here of about 150 to 300Kbps download with an upload of about 20Kbps, if I am lucky. And that is with all 6 bars and on any day of the week. T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T "3G" here is a dozen times faster. Verizon now has 4G LTE here for several months. Last week AT&T 4G LTE went live.

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I was at Texas Roadhouse, so technically I was in Grand Prarie, but your point is well taken. It was the same up and down I-20 along that stretch. Speed tests in San Diego have run 300 to 700 kbps. Here on 4g, it was 450!

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I was at Texas Roadhouse, so technically I was in Grand Prarie, but your point is well taken. It was the same up and down I-20 along that stretch. Speed tests in San Diego have run 300 to 700 kbps. Here on 4g, it was 450!

The think to think about is that there is no market that us 100% finished so they may have been fixing things you never know I had the same problem but it was fixed in the next few days.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
And in some cases where we had awesome LTE speeds during initial test phases before we were officially announced in Chicago and the burbs we now have low LTE speeds.

I used to pull averages of 15-20+ mbps during test phases. Now I see averages of 5-7 mbps in those same locations using 2 different Sprint LTE model phones. Not the worst speeds but far cry from what we were getting and my locations are very populated cities that are littered with LTE towers so I don't believe it's lack of coverage by any means.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Before i switched to TMO a month ago. i had LTE at my office near NW HWY and Abrams. Initially when i first got it i had about 8-10megs down.
That was a few months after it was switched on. Starting around November i was lucky to break 5 megs in the same place.
I live near down town Dallas and never got LTE there.. But i had the same thing happen on 3G. Data was 1-1.5 down on EVDO but things went down hill a few months into it..
I switched between a GS3 and EVO LTE, so it wasnt device specific. I think it was a PRL problem but well all know how that goes. PRL dont affect your data speeds.. LOL
Maybe in a few years ill give them a try again..

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Before i switched to TMO a month ago. i had LTE at my office near NW HWY and Abrams. Initially when i first got it i had about 8-10megs down.
That was a few months after it was switched on. Starting around November i was lucky to break 5 megs in the same place.
I live near down town Dallas and never got LTE there.. But i had the same thing happen on 3G. Data was 1-1.5 down on EVDO but things went down hill a few months into it..
I switched between a GS3 and EVO LTE, so it wasnt device specific. I think it was a PRL problem but well all know how that goes. PRL dont affect your data speeds.. LOL
Maybe in a few years ill give them a try again..

Good point IAmSixNine.

Part that cracks me up is the same area I have the low speeds now has consistently kept 10+ mbps on my daughter's old Epic 4g (WiMax). Which is expected as the WiMax portion frees up more as people leave it for LTE. Sprint has some issues to deal with concerning LTE but at least my lower LTE speeds are better than the basement range 3g :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

top magoo

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
i saw this thread yesterday. i work in downtown dallas, and take the train in from fort worth. the top entry is from inside my building, number two is during my train ride this morning:

2013-02-14_10-08-22_zps1bce2780.png

huge difference between different LTE sites...