LTE Seen In Hampton Roads!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
One thing about that last Evo LTE update.... I could have sworn I checked the 3G/LTE settings after and made sure that LTE was turned off. I guess not. I was in Chesapeake last night, eating dinner and noticed "4G" appear on my Evo. I thought- "that can't be right, I have heard NOTHING from anywhere about LTE in Hampton Roads since it seemingly dropped off the 'second round' lists many months ago".

So of course I ran a speed test. 16.2Mb/s down and 4.2Mb/s up with 59ms ping! That is faster download than I even get on WiFi at home. Seemed to be only that one tower... I went on a "hunt" drive after and found only 3G in other areas. Later I was in Norfolk and happened to look at my phone and BAM- another 4G connect. That one pulled only 4Mb/s down and 0.8Mb/s up, but I was also in only 2 bars and moving at the time. Just 1/4 mile further, though, and back to 3G and miserable/unusable 28Kb/s down, 10Kb/s up with 800ms ping on 6 bars.

ajbrad71

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Iam up in Richmond and hating life. We got the first 4g now we last on the list

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Iam up in Richmond and hating life. We got the first 4g now we last on the list

That is the way it SHOULD be. It is infuriating to see large markets that already got WiMax years ago get LTE before large markets that NEVER got WiMax. I mean, I wish everywhere could have it at once, but it is certainly not fair to inflict 20-100Kb/s 3G download speeds on people for additional years.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
It seems there are a lot more 4G towers being turned on that I would have imagined. See this: Coverage Maps | 4G - USA - Sprint | Sensorly to get a flavor. I am not sure how much I trust Sensorly, but it is fairly consistent with some of what I saw. Strange that they would have advanced this far without any announcement... not "coming soon" not even "planned". Who knows, maybe it will suddenly all be shut off for several months because this was all just a "test". Hmm...

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
It seems there are a lot more 4G towers being turned on that I would have imagined. See this: Coverage Maps | 4G - USA - Sprint | Sensorly to get a flavor. I am not sure how much I trust Sensorly, but it is fairly consistent with some of what I saw. Strange that they would have advanced this far without any announcement... not "coming soon" not even "planned". Who knows, maybe it will suddenly all be shut off for several months because this was all just a "test". Hmm...

Still no word from Sprint. Meanwhile,Hampton Roads is turning more and more purple in Sensorly: Coverage Maps | 4G - USA - Sprint | Sensorly It wasn't a fluke or test, the other tower right at my hour flipped on 4G. When I went shopping 15 miles away yesterday there was also 4G.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Seen LTE down the street, but not at my house so its real close lol. Sprints 3G is a lot better then recent years though, a lot more bearable. Cant wait for LTE though! :D

Courtesy of My LT3VO :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC