1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Text Message Voice to Text option disappeared with recent update

After an update last week, the "microphone icon" for voice to text in text messaging disappeared. I use the native text messaging software and keyboard provided with the HTC Evo 4g LTE with Sprint as my carrier. I have had this function since I purchased my phone about 6 months ago and it did work very well for me.

I'm sure that there is a way to alter settings to re-apply the voice to text feature but haven't been able to figure it out.

I made a few searches on the forum and haven't seen this question asked yet. If this has already been discussed and I missed it, a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for trying to help!

Default Re: Text Message Voice to Text option disappeared with recent update

Maybe you need a reboot or a factory reset. Mine works perfectly.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for the reply!
    No change with reboot.
    I'd rather not factory reset, but I would if it came down to that.

After further button pressing and investigation today, I've discovered that the issue is only with the Swype Keyboard.

So, to be even more specific:
    -I do have the voice to text icon on the HTC Sense keyboard option.
    -I DO NOT have the voice to text icon on the Swype keyboard.
    Suggestions on how to re-apply the voice to text option on the Swype keyboard are what I'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by denjr10 View Post
    Thank you for the reply!
    No change with reboot.
    I'd rather not factory reset, but I would if it came down to that.

After further button pressing and investigation today, I've discovered that the issue is only with the Swype Keyboard.

So, to be even more specific:
    -I do have the voice to text icon on the HTC Sense keyboard option.
    -I DO NOT have the voice to text icon on the Swype keyboard.
    Suggestions on how to re-apply the voice to text option on the Swype keyboard are what I'm looking for
    I would go download the swype beta, it's much better than the pre-installed one, imo. It has the voice to text button, and it uses Dragon dictation as the software. www.Swype.com

Another option would be to download Kii Keyboard. It has swype as well.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you all for your time and replies!

Problem solved!

Your welcome, but don't keep us in the dark, tell us what you tried, what you thought of it, how it worked etc.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

oops, I guess I never explained what worked LOL

I had intended to try both the Swype beta and the Kii. However, I tried Kii first. It worked, so I just stuck with that.

The only minor issue with Kii that will require a bit of getting used to is that some of the long press punctuation is in a slightly different place than I am used. I don't see that as a big problem and I'm already getting used to it.

A positive change that I attribute to Kii is that I'm making LESS mistakes than I had been on Swype, even after using Swype for a few years. When I do make an error, I also feel that the Kii suggestions tend to be more accurate than I was used to with Swype. Keep in mind that I'm comparing to the stock Swype, not the beta version that was suggested above.

I'm sure these are all just personal preference and there's probably a hundred keyboards out there that would do the job. Kii was the first one I downloaded and it worked. So I just rolled with that.

Thank you for the post as i was having the same issues with my galaxy note and i installed the kii keyboard and got my voice text back.

my voice to text icon on the swype keyboard also disappeared with the update, but resetting the "Default keyboard "to "swype "from the "Google keyboard" ( under "Language and Input" "fixed that problem smartly-presumably everybody else has tried this, but I'm not sure why it hasn't worked for them.
    Mario

I took the battery out of my phone and now my speaker icon is back on my keyboard.
    Thanked by: