Text Message Voice to Text option disappeared with recent update

denjr10

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
After an update last week, the "microphone icon" for voice to text in text messaging disappeared. I use the native text messaging software and keyboard provided with the HTC Evo 4g LTE with Sprint as my carrier. I have had this function since I purchased my phone about 6 months ago and it did work very well for me.

I'm sure that there is a way to alter settings to re-apply the voice to text feature but haven't been able to figure it out.

I made a few searches on the forum and haven't seen this question asked yet. If this has already been discussed and I missed it, a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for trying to help! :)

denjr10

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply!
No change with reboot.
I'd rather not factory reset, but I would if it came down to that.

After further button pressing and investigation today, I've discovered that the issue is only with the Swype Keyboard.

So, to be even more specific:
-I do have the voice to text icon on the HTC Sense keyboard option.
-I DO NOT have the voice to text icon on the Swype keyboard.
Suggestions on how to re-apply the voice to text option on the Swype keyboard are what I'm looking for :)

Hammer9274

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the reply!
No change with reboot.
I'd rather not factory reset, but I would if it came down to that.

After further button pressing and investigation today, I've discovered that the issue is only with the Swype Keyboard.

So, to be even more specific:
-I do have the voice to text icon on the HTC Sense keyboard option.
-I DO NOT have the voice to text icon on the Swype keyboard.
Suggestions on how to re-apply the voice to text option on the Swype keyboard are what I'm looking for :)

I would go download the swype beta, it's much better than the pre-installed one, imo. It has the voice to text button, and it uses Dragon dictation as the software. www.Swype.com

denjr10

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
oops, I guess I never explained what worked LOL

I had intended to try both the Swype beta and the Kii. However, I tried Kii first. It worked, so I just stuck with that.

The only minor issue with Kii that will require a bit of getting used to is that some of the long press punctuation is in a slightly different place than I am used. I don't see that as a big problem and I'm already getting used to it.

A positive change that I attribute to Kii is that I'm making LESS mistakes than I had been on Swype, even after using Swype for a few years. When I do make an error, I also feel that the Kii suggestions tend to be more accurate than I was used to with Swype. Keep in mind that I'm comparing to the stock Swype, not the beta version that was suggested above.

I'm sure these are all just personal preference and there's probably a hundred keyboards out there that would do the job. Kii was the first one I downloaded and it worked. So I just rolled with that.

Mario DCruz

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
my voice to text icon on the swype keyboard also disappeared with the update, but resetting the "Default keyboard "to "swype "from the "Google keyboard" ( under "Language and Input" "fixed that problem smartly-presumably everybody else has tried this, but I'm not sure why it hasn't worked for them.
Mario

KavonK

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I have an S7.

Hi, I recently had the same issue and went bananas, as I use the talk to text button ALL the time. Took a while on the phone, but got a very good US rep from Samsung that got me the answer. It is still here, just hidden. Trust me. IT IS STILL THERE> They will spend hours on the phone with you to figure out your issue and they are open 24/7. 1.800.726.7864

1) Go to your text message
2) Locate the button ( gear ) right of the Sym, on your keyboard.
3) Hold it down for 1 second of two, not just click it.....
4) Three icons will show up,
5) Choose the speaker. It will stay there.

You now have your speaker button back. Yay Samsung rep, for letting me know.

also check promotions.samsung.com to see if you missed anything when you purchased your S7.

Have a good day!

Chris Rose2

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
To add to that. if the Gear Button is not visible (Sym, Doc, Gear, or Mic) holding down either of this will bring up the little window to choose between the 4 icons. Only1 of the 4 will be visible on the keyboard.

mgotravel1

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. I am so grateful for the easy fix. I couldn't believe they had gotten rid of that function and now I have it back. Much obliged.

Trucollector

May 10, 2016
Visit site
I have an S7.

Hi, I recently had the same issue and went bananas, as I use the talk to text button ALL the time. Took a while on the phone, but got a very good US rep from Samsung that got me the answer. It is still here, just hidden. Trust me. IT IS STILL THERE> They will spend hours on the phone with you to figure out your issue and they are open 24/7. 1.800.726.7864

1) Go to your text message
2) Locate the button ( gear ) right of the Sym, on your keyboard.
3) Hold it down for 1 second of two, not just click it.....
4) Three icons will show up,
5) Choose the speaker. It will stay there.

You now have your speaker button back. Yay Samsung rep, for letting me know.

also check promotions.samsung.com to see if you missed anything when you purchased your S7.

Have a good day!
-----------------------
Thanks! Holding down the button where the microphone used to be worked on the NOTE 5 as well! You saved me a lot of trouble.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance