WiFi making noise through the audio jack since jellybean update

rawville

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Let me start by saying i'm not 100% sure the jellybean update did it, but that is the only thing that has changed on my phone recently so i don't know what else it would be. I've also had this phone since release and never had this problem with it before.

I recently had to get a new set of ear buds because my old ones were losing the high end more and more each day (earwax i imagine :p). The loss of highend is apparently what cause me to miss when exactly this problem started.

I got new headphones about a week after I got the update message for jellybean through sprint and that's when I first noticed this problem.

When any headphones (or an aux cable for that matter) are plugged into the jack and audio is playing (doesn't matter which app) there is a buzzing "chirp" every 10-15 seconds while the wifi is on. if no audio is being played i haven't noticed the sound. If anyone is familiar with waveforms I would say it is definitley a squarewave sound. The sound isn't really all that loud and it doesn't change in volume with i turn media volume up and down. i can't even notice it when i turn the volume to 75% or more, but that hurts my ears. It makes noises considerably more often (a differnet, crackling type of noise) when data is streaming (youtube, pandora, etc).

I can't test out wether or not it does it over 3g/4g seeing as i'm in the wilderness of north dakota near the canadian border and i hardly get any cell reception here either.

i can reliably reproduce this "bug" by switching the WiFi on and off.

I have insurance with bestbuy, but i don't really want to go that route. I have taken excellent care of my phone and i don't want to trade it for some refurbished one i don't know anything about. not to mention, i don't have any bestbuys near me, and when i do get back on the road (i've been motorcycle touring for that last year) i'm not going to be in any one place too long and i've heard the bestbuy replacement can take weeks. I rather just live with this little noise (probably wouldn't bother anyone besides an audiophile such as myself), than to inherit somebody elses headache.

I was thining about rooting my phone and trying to reinstall ICS to see if the problem still persisted, but i was told that will void my waranty. I've also tried cleaning out the audio jack with a dental "wirebrush" with a residue of isoproyl alcohol, but that didn't change anything.

any ideas about my situation would be appreciated.

mattw

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
My phone does this too. I had assumed it was the CDMA radios but you are correct about wifi causing the issue. I had not noticed the noise today and I just happened to have wifi off. Your post made the connection for me. I've put it in the annoying but deal with it category. It wasn't bad enough for me to return the phone but I sure don't like the buzz. I am much happier knowing I can get rid of it by turning off wifi.

mattw

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine has always done it. I hoped the update would stop it but it did not. I notice it at work where I don't have wifi. It is the only place I sit and listen to my phone. Possibly if you were listening with an active wifi connection you would hear it more often. I would hear it every few minutes (never timed it) and assume it is the wifi radio periodically checking for available networks.

elfuego

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Has happened to me since I got the phone. The hiss will occur any time the phone is fetching data (seems to me). If you put it in Airplane mode it won't do it. A little annoying, but not a deal breaker to me

mattw

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I know that it does while on the charger, that is my usual configuration. I plug in my headphones and the charger since Pandora eats my battery with the low signal in the office. I believe I ran a test and hear the buzz while off of the charger when trying to isolate the cause a few months back.