Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mikey47
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question GMail Update allows Jelly Bean users to reply, delete or archive from notifications but HOW?

As stated in title, the new Gmail update says it allows for replying, deleting and archiving from the notifications bar with no need to open the app. I updated but can't seem to figure out how to do these actions from the notification bar. Anyone having the same issue or willing to help me get it?

Default Re: GMail Update allows Jelly Bean users to reply, delete or archive from notifications but HOW?

Swipe down on the GMail notification itself from the Notification bar.
    That'll expand it like it used to but now you'll see 2 new buttons.
    Other than "reply", it depends what you assign the swipe to in the GMail settings - if you set swipe to delete you'll see "delete" / if you set swipe to archive you'll see "archive".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by Lanhoj; 03-21-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: GMail Update allows Jelly Bean users to reply, delete or archive from notifications but HOW?

I'm having the same issue with my Galaxy Note II. No matter what I try, or which direction I swipe, the new enhancement won't appear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hmm...that's not how it seems to be working for me. I just see the same old notification of a new email but with no option to reply or delete the email. Swiping the notification away just clears the new email notification. I set the settings in the app to "Archive/Unlabel/Delete". Grr...not sure what my issue is.

Are you guys using the native GMail App or the Samsung Email client?
    I'll try it on my S3 when I get home but works on my GNex & N4 running Jellybean.

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Native Gmail app for my two Gmail accounts and the Samsung email app for my IMAP accounts.

I've also tried several restarts and still can't get the new Gmail enhancements to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    Are you guys using the native GMail App or the Samsung Email client?
    I'll try it on my S3 when I get home but works on my GNex & N4 running Jellybean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Do you guys have the notification expanded? It doesn't display for the non expanded email notifications.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Works on my S3.
    Keep in mind to expand the Notification you need to swipe down with 2 fingers on the GMail Notification itself.

By comparison, on my N4 & GNex it's a 1-finger swipe down.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I'm using the official Gmail app on my EVO 4G LTE. Swiping down with two fingers doesn't change anything for me. How do I make sure I have "expanded notifications" enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U#AC View Post
    How do I make sure I have "expanded notifications" enabled?
    If you're on Jellybean (Android 4.1+) it should just work automatically.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Yep, I'm running Jelly Bean 4.1.1 ...not sure what's going on then.

Are any of your Notifications expandable?
    For example:
    -Handcent SMS-->
    or
    -Sliding Messaging-->

If not...then perhaps HTC removed that feature? That would suck if that's the case.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance but the only HTC I've got is an EVO 4G from Boost that I never got around to activating but it's only on 4.0.3.

Global Posts
    404 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U#AC View Post
    I'm using the official Gmail app on my EVO 4G LTE. Swiping down with two fingers doesn't change anything for me. How do I make sure I have "expanded notifications" enabled?
    HTC's expand notification gesture is different. You need to use the pinch-zoom gesture to expand a notification.
    Thanked by 3:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    HTC's expand notification gesture is different. You need to use the pinch-zoom gesture to expand a notification.
    I totally got it. Thanks for the help.

Well crap, doesn't work with Gmail Label Notifier.
    WHO DAT?!?!?!
    THIS IS NEW ORLEANS!!!!! - DREW BREES

Can't speak for 4.1.x but with 4.2.x and native gmail app it allows with nova launcher or when you open widget and swipe the message left(archive) right (delete) or push (re/fwd)

From my sph L710 running cm10.1x and 4.2.x

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

On the HTC EVO 4G LTE, when you drop down the notification shade, you have to put both your thumbs on the gmail notification in the center and spread your thumbs out and it will expand.
    Palm Pre to Nexus S 4G to HTC EVO 4G LTE

Quote Originally Posted by hi-tech View Post
    On the HTC EVO 4G LTE, when you drop down the notification shade, you have to put both your thumbs on the gmail notification in the center and spread your thumbs out and it will expand.
    Actually you can use any two fingers, it doesn't have to be two thumbs.
    TonyLibations likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Actually you can use any two fingers, it doesn't have to be two thumbs.
    It does if you "classy" lol

To be able to delete from notification bar you need to go into general settings in gmail and uncheck the confirm before delete. That should give you the delete and reply option in the notification bar...

TWO FINGER SWIPE DOWN! That's the ticket! Thanks ever so much.

Both zooming and 2 fingers swiping work for me on HTC One X+. Thank you so much! Well, for me that was non-intuitive.

If you have the update in your notifications you will see reply, archive etc under the notification

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta