Phone Defaults to Handset, Not My Car's Bluetooth

ozymandias777

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem: even when paired, calls initiated from my phone always default to the phone's speaker and not bluetooth. BT calls work fine if I initiate a call from the car's BT.

When I dial from the phone, the phone's "speaker" icon flashes that it is connected to BT, but then switches to the handset as soon as the call is made. I can then press the "speaker" icon and switch over to BT... but that's a bit hairy when you are driving. I have an HTC EVO 4G LTE and a 2007 Acura TL. I've searched the forums and haven't seen a similar problem. How do I get the phone to default to the car's BT when making a call? Thanks!

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried the Acura forums? Maybe it's a car setting rather than phone.

Follow me on Twitter: @TonyLibations

Sent from my EVO L(a)TE using Android Central Forums.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am actually having that same problem, occasionally, with my bluetooth headset. Sometimes I will turn it on, pair and connect to it, press the button and say "call XXX at home", it will read it back, I say "OK", it will dial, and then switch to the speakerphone in the Evo! And it still SHOWS bluetooth. But I can press the button for handset, then press for bluetooth and it will redirect back to the bluetooth headset. Seems to happen about 20% of the time now.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's just the way the BT in that car works. I have an '06 TL and it behaves the same way.

It's an early implementation of hands free BT and it doesn't interact as deeply with the phone as systems that are a little more modern. You'll find the same thing happens when you answer the phone from the handset and not the button on the wheel.

I know it sucks because it's such a pain to store numbers into the system since you can't transfer contacts to it, but unfortunately there is no alternative.

dmarcus48

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
No it doesn't. I've got a 06 tl. I've had bb's, iPhones and now an s3 and they ALL connect automatically when i get into the car. I know on the bb's there was a setting that needed to be set. I'd suggest going to acurazine.com and ask there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

dmarcus48

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Did just think of something although I don't think this is your problem. One thing about the tl and pairing. If you delete a phone you have to wait a couple of hours before you can pair the phone again. Don't know why, but I've had it happen to me several times.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No it doesn't. I've got a 06 tl. I've had bb's, iPhones and now an s3 and they ALL connect automatically when i get into the car. I know on the bb's there was a setting that needed to be set. I'd suggest going to acurazine.com and ask there.

The phone connects just fine but if you make/answer calls from the handset the calls falls back to the phones speaker and still status connected to the cats BT. If you use the car's controls is fine.

Try it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

dmarcus48

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
AH, yes you're right, if you answer or call from the handset it stays on the phone. The only solution for that is to push the bt button on the steering wheel and say "transfer", and then the BT system will have the call and work the way it should. Hope that helps. The transfer command actually works both ways, say you're talking on the bt and stop the car, if you push the button and say transfer, the control will go to the phone. Works both ways.