Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Volume buttons control media volume instead of ringer volume

I did a search and I didn't see anyone expressing this problem yet.... When at the home screens and I press either volume button, the media volume is adjusted and not the ringer volume like it is supposed to. If I reboot my phone the problem is fixed for a little while, but after playing a game or something where using the volume buttons affects the media volume and going back to the home screen, I no longer have control of my ringer volume. The only "fix" that seems to work is rebooting my phone. My Evo 4G LTE is unrooted on 4.1.1. Any thoughts? This has been going on for about a month now. Thanks in advance

Default Re: Volume buttons control media volume instead of ringer volume

Try force closing the app that had the media control for volume. I've had this happen occasionally and that usually fixes the problem.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah I have tried that. Works sometimes, but more often than not it doesn't. And I never really know which apps to force close. Is this something that a hard reset would fix? I don't want to lose all my game data, but this is a stupid problem and it's starting to really bother me.

Are you using the weather flip clock widget on your home screen? If so there is a setting in it that will play weather sound effects and fit a few seconds when waking up your phone if that's happening and you change the volume it will adjust the media volume instead if the ringer.

If anyone figures this out, let me know because it is totally unacceptable. I have no apps running that use media, yet my volume rocker will only control media volume instead of ringer volume. As I am in and out if meetings daily, I need to be able to quickly turn my ringer on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Buffington View Post
    If anyone figures this out, let me know because it is totally unacceptable. I have no apps running that use media, yet my volume rocker will only control media volume instead of ringer volume. As I am in and out if meetings daily, I need to be able to quickly turn my ringer on and off.
    Im not sure if you or anyone else is still having this problem... but i had the same exact problem. How i fixed it was that i had realized that i had a music player widget on one of my homescreen pages. I removed it and rebooted and now when i use my volume rocker it automatically controls my riger volume. Hope this helps

Just started happening on my S3. Latest installs were weatherbug then township game. still looking for solution